Bills win despite coaching

l2yangop

Horrible offensive play calling tonight, but we found a way to eek it out. Thank you for showing up D! Clearly with this defense and inability to score in the red zone, we are not playoff caliber, but fun to watch. Especially if you want to see every possible iteration of a screen pass!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Offensively, we got what we wanted...more spiller, but Chan still cant call a full game.

Defensively, we FINALLY get a decent pass rush and look at the results... sacks, ints and a much needed win.

Im not gonna jump the gun here and say the D turned the corner, but this performance does give me hope

3rd and goal on the 1 or 2yd line, fullback in for the play=pass to tightly covered/held TE. Go figure.

I had all of halftime to stew on that one. It was maddening. I mean Chandler is what 8ft tall and you run a play like that? Come on!

Horrible offensive play calling tonight, but we found a way to eek it out. Thank you for showing up D! Clearly with this defense and inability to score in the red zone, we are not playoff caliber, but fun to watch. Especially if you want to see every possible iteration of a screen pass!

Chan had a rough night with the play calling. Wildcat to Choice on 3rd and short, overall MUCH too conservative play calling with too many screens in the 2nd half (Miami adjusted). Not going for it on one of the 4th downs in the 1st half. Sitting Spiller in the redzone before the end of the 1st half.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

On the second third and 1 with empty set, that should have been a QB draw. They only had 4 down lineman and there was no LB to be seen. On the first third and 1, Choice ran to the wrong hole from the Wildcat. I like that they ran clock at the end of the first half butthey should have given themselves about 15 more seconds. They huddled which was fine but Fitz took too long to snap the ball and when he got sacked or ran for short gain they had to burn a time-out. Little too cute there. Jump ball to Chandler may have worked. An extra ten seconds and a QB sneak scores. Would have taken some serious balls to go QB sneak with 6 seconds and no time-out. But that could have been a back breaker.

How many time have I read complaints that the Bills get too fancy? So what happens when the Bills give the ball to SJ & CJ and don't make any risky plays, against a very good Miami defense? We complain that we are too conservative. :doh:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's tough. With Chan we finally have an offense capable of competing. However, you can count on him with disconcerting frequency to do the opposite of what's working in the middle of a drive. I must have said it 10 times by now: run Spiller on 1st an 2nd, only throw on 3rd (if long). We'd have a better record.

I like Chan but he does out smart himself with this ****. Just give it to CJ who is averaging 7 yards per carry. Really?

They gave it to CJ on 3rd and 1 on that last drive where the Bills were trying to run out the clock, the way you guys have been screaming all year that Chan should do. What happened? He got stuffed and they had to punt, giving the Dolphins another chance to win.

Averaging seven yards a carry does not mean that the runner gets seven yards every time he carries the ball. CJ got tackled for a loss quite a few times tonight, and other times he made yards when he had no business doing so. Third and one when the defense is stacked against you, it's hard for anyone to make a first down consistently.

That said, I was unhappy with Tashard Chjoice, especially when he showed alligator arms on that third down pass that would have kept a drive alive. No guts.

I agree the coaching was horrible. Miami stinks, otherwise the result would probably have been different. BTW, the Bills linebackers are dreadful (Sheppard and Bradham are brutal). Also, the blocking schemes frequently left Spiller to block a DE by himself. At other times the DE rushed Fitz untouched. Terrible coaching and design. The RT Hairston really struggled.

A win is a win, but these giant weaknesses won't beat too many teams in the NFL.

How many time have I read complaints that the Bills get too fancy? So what happens when the Bills get to ball the SJ & CJ and don't make any risky plays, against a very good Miami defense? We complain that we are too conservative. :doh:

PTR

This.

We are fickle and the reality is that the average Bills fans could care less what is called as long as it actually works.