If we had a top 10 defense, would Fitz be adequate to win?

freester

You don't think the fact that Luck is there has no impact on that D? You do realize that offense was ATROCIOUS last year and they just couldnt stay on the field, sustain many drives, score many points.

The personnel is essentially the same on the D. There is ONE common denominator in the last 3 years for the colts...the QB. With Manning, playoff team. With no QB it was a 2 win team and the D was even worse. With Luck...now a playoff team and D isnt giving up as many points but still is not very good.

Anyone who wants to deny that the QB in Indy is the difference from picking first in the draft or being in the playoffs is just kidding themselves.

And to address your points about the Titans game and such. I did not claim they were garbage time points in every game. I simply said, that its illogical to assume the same offensive production, successes, failures, etc if you completely delete the realm of existence of those things by changing the D. Players stand in different places, fatigue is different, play calls are different, mind sets are different, game plans are different, adjustments are different...every thing you know to exists ceases to exist if you alter the game by changing the D. And given that our O, Chan, Fitz, RB's, OL, etc have all been mistake prone, how do you know that we still score so many points? Maybe we do, maybe we score more, maybe we make more mistakes and score less and lose still.

Its just silly to assume the offense is the same if you remove the D and change the game completely. And to be clear, I do feel this team is better with a better D, no doubt. But the bottom line for me is that Fitz has made a lot of bad plays when it counted...Chan has made a lot of bad calls in key points of the game...this team makes a lot of mental errors on all sides of the ball. So, if you change the game and start over with a better D, who knows how the O responds in those games.

So you say we can't assume the O would be better than it is now if we had a better D because of a different "realm of existance" would materialize, making such an assumption impossible--"illogical", even.

Yet, you are pretty sure that even with a better D, this new realm of existence allows you assume Fitz would throw more "pick sixes"--even theough he has had only 2 ints in his last 4 games (145 attempts) and in his last 3 games he has an average completion of 70%?

This is the least convincing bit of "logic" I've read all week.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you say we can't assume the O would be better than it is now if we had a better D because of a different "realm of existance" would materialize, making such an assumption impossible--"illogical", even.

Yet, you are pretty sure that even with a better D, this new realm of existence allows you assume Fitz would throw more "pick sixes"--even theough he has had only 2 ints in his last 4 games (145 attempts) and in his last 3 games he has an average completion of 70%?

and when where those 2 picks?

Both ended the game!!!

A top 10 D changes the Bill's record for sure. Both New England Games and the Tennessee game were very winable with a strong defense This defense needs linebackers in the worst way. Their linebackers are not making enough plays. Fitz had a fantastic game against the Pats last week, except for the dreaded last play. Even though Gailey should not have called that play, Fitz should have known better and gone to a different reciever. A horrible decision. I have to say though, with a top 10 defense the Bills win that game and it doesn't come down to that play.

If we had an average defense, we'd be in the playoff hunt.

If we had a good defense, we'd be a playoff team.

If we had a dominant defense, we'd be capable of making a Superbowl run.

Fitz is average to good at times, but isn't good enough to overcome weaknesses on the other side of the ball.

Nope. Disagree. Too limited and mistake prone.

Fitz's problem is he doesn't seem to be able to throw a 20 yard out to save his life- my question about Fitz is that when he started the season last year and was playing well he looked like he had put on a coupe pounds of muscle, muscle that was gone by mid-season and this season he started off with skinny arms- I'm not saying strength training would make the difference between a noodle arm and a rocket arm but maybe enough to open up the field another 5 to 10 yards.

Edited by ....lybob

I want a GREAT QB not an adequate QB

Good luck with that. They are exceedingly rare and you have to finish worst or next to worst to get one FAR FAR FAR more often than not.

It may be a passing league, but it ain't no QB league. That's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills still wouldn't have beaten the 49ers or Texans, not with 3 pts & 9 pts on offense or would they? Perhaps with a top 10 defense the bills would get more turnovers and score with those turnovers. The score might have been 3 to 0 and 9-6, who really knows.

The way Gailey runs his offense like he has Tom Brady or Drew Brees behind center doesn't really complement the actual talent on the team. The best talent is at the RB position, not WR, not QB. The Bills would be much better suited to build a team like the 49ers,Ravens, Texans and just have Fitz throw to manage the game instead of forcing him to try and win by passing.

Chan Gailey is the intangible that we can't count on to make the team win with a better defense as he will always be pass happy with an average QB. JMHO

and when where those 2 picks?

Both ended the game!!!

and had the defense done their job in those games, there is a really good chance Fitz isn't throwing the ball and chancing interceptions late in the game. I guess we will never know until the defense shows up.

If we had an average defense, we'd be in the playoff hunt.

If we had a good defense, we'd be a playoff team.

If we had a dominant defense, we'd be capable of making a Superbowl run.

Fitz is average to good at times, but isn't good enough to overcome weaknesses on the other side of the ball.

+1

and had the defense done their job in those games, there is a really good chance Fitz isn't throwing the ball and chancing interceptions late in the game. I guess we will never know until the defense shows up.

Its the NFL, games are more times tight then blowouts. And you just pointed out he can not be trusted late in the game? To me he would 'Fitz' us in close low scoring games to!

Well then you didnt read now did you...LMAO. I said that as an example...also said we could win 40-3 but you chose to ignore that and write erroneously that I claimed he would throw 2 pick sixes each game. I simply gave examples of things that COULD happen, good or bad, and that there is NO way to know how the game would play out with every single second of existence being altered because we had a different defense and created different moments.

Geezus...next time just read what was written and maybe you would understand that what I said isnt even remotely close to what you claim I said.

Good luck with that. They are exceedingly rare and you have to finish worst or next to worst to get one FAR FAR FAR more often than not.

It may be a passing league, but it ain't no QB league. That's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

so do the bills draft a QB in the first round who may be average or get a dominant LB. The QB crop is weak and there a some dominant LB. Tannehill, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, Weeden this is the quality of player that is likely to be available.

so do the bills draft a QB in the first round who may be average or get a dominant LB. The QB crop is weak and there a some dominant LB. Tannehill, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, Weeden this is the quality of player that is likely to be available.

I've always been a huge proponent of BPA. If Te'o is there and he's rated higher than the QB also available, take him. You can't go wrong adding good playmakers to your defense. Especially on a defense that is devoid of good talent at the LB position. All depends on how they rate these guys though. I can't see Buddy reaching for a QB.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

last nights game answered this question. Bills D gave up 7 points. Bills O scored 12 points. In my eyes that shows that instead of going out there and putting up 20, like they could or should have the O settles for 4 field goals. Fitz tried twice to throw INT on Miami's side of the 50. Sorry guys, a win is a win, but Fitz isn't the answer. He is not consistent