Dave Grohl back in QOTSA and back ON DRUMS!!

DrDawkinstein

Lot of it being played on someone's back porch or living room. :thumbsup:

I have a friend who's a huge Springsteen fan. She'll travel all over to be crammed with tens of thousands of other people to listen to him. I can's stand that crap. I love the small clubs and venues. I love SF for that.

Agreed about New Orleans too. It's amazing what you can find in an empty bar on a Tuesday night. Clapton talents are out there, he's just not headlining Woodstock these days. It is a shame. You just hope those guys don't get discouraged. Another under 25 favorite for sheer ability below then ill stop with the drummer thread hijack - kids played all over with huge names and you can see him in just the tiniest hole in the wall bars for free here. Talented young band too - guitarist is pretty good if you make it to the end.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to wander the clubs of NOLA. What I'd really love to do someday is hit the juke joints of the south while they still exist. Hit them for two reasons. One I'm a huge fan of the blues, some of the funnest genres to drum two and second reason......the food!!

I would love to wander the clubs of NOLA. What I'd really love to do someday is hit the juke joints of the south while they still exist. Hit them for two reasons. One I'm a huge fan of the blues, some of the funnest genres to drum two and second reason......the food!!

Indeed. I've wanted to do the same - another fun musician - jimbo mathus - did it a few years back and declared it a spiritual journey. All the old greats being of course zen masters he declared himself a confederate Buddhist. Found it amusing.

For really good radio stream wxpn online or if u have one get their app. They are the upenn/ Drexel station in center city...part of the NPR umbrella but strictly music

In general you just cannot turn on the radio and enjoy whatever is on. It gets on my nerves. Even Sirius is starting to sound awful. I've found NPR crap more entertaining recently. To find a new good band or group is hard. You always end up with two or three good songs and thats it.

After reading your thoughts on the state of good music today I take back some of my negative thoughts I had towards u last night. This topic I agree with you wholeheartedly.

And Gary Clark Jr. is awesome. Have seen him live a couple times this year.

and you walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill BOTH ways

you drank water right from the tap and ate rare meat

you played outside until dark, not on video games

yea yea, we get it, your old and are from a bad ass generation...wake me up when all you old farts die and stop sucking my taxes dry with all your medicaid and medicare

im joking...........kind of......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEsLEymqLnU&list=UUYoKOLp7YSJtt5UVujx4iXA&index=5&feature=plcp

Saw this performance last summer of a 12 year old kid jamming with Buddy Guy.

Joe Bonnamassa was playing with some blues legends at 12 too though he is in his 30s now.

The point is valid that the young talent around today is nothing compared to all the legends emerging all over the place back in the 60s/70s but the good news is all hope is not lost. You just need to look harder these days as main stream music is mostly loaded with over produced tween crap.

Another point to be made is current rock is all about banging the largest tunes. The most screams and the most all I can call it is skrillrex. Rock and roll is dead.

After reading your thoughts on the state of good music today I take back some of my negative thoughts I had towards u last night. This topic I agree with you wholehearted

What negative thoughts? Is that why I stubbed my toe last night? Voodoo magic?

Currently;

Country - weak vocals and awe shucks with an image as fake as Toby Keith and songs as bland and poor as ever

Rap - I am worth more, look better, get better women, f*** better, smoke weed better, tougher, stronger, harder, more gangster [wannabe] and shoot guns better

Pop - ****

Alt Rock - unique voice playing irregular instruments and putting up a facade of alternative when they just are anything but because the genre is so diluted.

Hard Rock - too much want to scream and not enough scream.

Pop Rock - if Taylor Swift is as pop rock as we have then nothing more to be said.

For really good radio stream wxpn online or if u have one get their app. They are the upenn/ Drexel station in center city...part of the NPR umbrella but strictly music

After reading your thoughts on the state of good music today I take back some of my negative thoughts I had towards u last night. This topic I agree with you wholeheartedly.

And Gary Clark Jr. is awesome. Have seen him live a couple times this year.

where did you see Gary Clark Jr?????

Xponential music fest in Camden last july. Then he opened the Jay-Z made in america show labor day weekend...both extraordinary performances

where did you see Gary Clark Jr?????

That wasn't directed at you..you're safe :-)

Another point to be made is current rock is all about banging the largest tunes. The most screams and the most all I can call it is skrillrex. Rock and roll is dead.

What negative thoughts? Is that why I stubbed my toe last night? Voodoo magic?

You old bag, your first concert hearing drums was cavemen beating a coconut. Get relevant old man!

But, yeah, I would tend to agree. Grohl is a the best drummer for the generation of music currently, and that sad thing is music blows right now. Bieber, Kiesha, Gaga, bunch of homo's.

take it back.......how dare you speak of Ke$ha like that! haaaaaaaaaaaa

Currently;

Country - weak vocals and awe shucks with an image as fake as Toby Keith and songs as bland and poor as ever

Rap - I am worth more, look better, get better women, f*** better, smoke weed better, tougher, stronger, harder, more gangster [wannabe] and shoot guns better

Pop - ****

Alt Rock - unique voice playing irregular instruments and putting up a facade of alternative when they just are anything but because the genre is so diluted.

Hard Rock - too much want to scream and not enough scream.

Pop Rock - if Taylor Swift is as pop rock as we have then nothing more to be said.

agree boyst.....its all crap nowadays...

the x factor, american idol, pop terribleness has taken over the airwaves.

if an album had 3 good songs on it nowadays it would be a feat.

take it back.......how dare you speak of Ke$ha like that! haaaaaaaaaaaa

agree boyst.....its all crap nowadays...

the x factor, american idol, pop terribleness has taken over the airwaves.

if an album had 3 good songs on it nowadays it would be a feat.

check out ANY of the black keys albums made in the past 5 years and you would realize how wrong you are about modern rock

check out ANY of the black keys albums made in the past 5 years and you would realize how wrong you are about modern rock

You clearly love the black keys - have you checked out the new dr John album? I think you'd like it a lot based on their heavy influence/involvement on it.

You clearly love the black keys - have you checked out the new dr John album? I think you'd like it a lot based on their heavy influence/involvement on it.

love dr john as well, and yes Locked Down is a kick ass album - side note of Dr John - I know its not his original tune, but love his version...while at Pat O briens piano bar last time I was in New Orleans, one of the players granted my request to play Stack a Lee and it was highlight of the trip musically for me (needless to say we didnt go to many places playing live music - something I will NOT do again)

I keep referencing them because some in this thread keep insisting that no new good rock is being created....and they are a good segue for some who need to see the light

Edited by PaattMaann

Fly into Memphis, catch Al Green at his church on Sunday AM. then rent a wreck, and head to Clarksdale Miss, on highway 61. Eat the chicken, ribs, Mississippi catfish, (not farm raised crap) crayfish,or innards if that's your thing. stay in a dive near Clarksdale, If you're paying more than $29 a night your rolling to high class for this tour. hit the blues museum there, and really anywhere. Clarksdale IS the blues. Walk the train tracks a bit. Make some quick connections for the "real" juke joints. Not just dumpy bars that say Juke Joint. Travel in pairs hitting juke joints after dark, and be respectful, You will have a blast. Where we've been you will be traveling down a lot of dirt roads.

When sober, and recovered, get back on highway 61 and head towards Baton Rouge Louisiana. Rinse and repeat as often as needed for a complete deep soul cleansing.You can even veer off and head to St. Louis if you have the time.

on it....but its gonna take more than one band to make up for all this creed nickelback kings of leon dumpfest I hear.

I like some weird music i guess, just being a "hater"

Edited by Ryan L Billz

on it....but its gonna take more than one band to make up for all this creed nickelback kings of leon dumpfest I hear.

hahhah, ohhhhh I readily agree with ya, theres a WHOLE lot of **** out there in todays music, certainly way more garbage than greatness...but it IS there....I hope you enjoy

you will love the black keys...i was late to the game with them, but they are a pretty incredible band

just a 'couple' of my 'new band' favorites, a lot of them I have seen in the past couple years ago, all of them are played on radio stations like WXPN.....of course this list excludes 'established' bands like Counting Crows amongst others....but there is no lack of good 'new' music out there

The Walkmen

Frightened Rabbits

Tallest Man on Earth

Gary Clark Jr.

Kaki King

Delta Rae

Delta Spirit

Deer Tick

Vampire Weekend

Alabama Shakes

Carolina Chocolate Drops

Dr. Dog