Dave Grohl back in QOTSA and back ON DRUMS!!

DrDawkinstein

Was hoping this would happen when the Foo Fighters announced their hiatus last month.

It's been a shame that the best Rock drummer of my generation hasn't done much drumming over the past 20 years.

I like Joey on drums for QOTSA, but you can't deny Dr. Dave.

He killed it on Songs for the Deaf, so this up my anticipation for more QOTSA.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48496-queens-of-the-stone-age-enlist-dave-grohl-for-new-album-drummer-joey-castillo-leaves-band/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weep for your generation. :D

He's a good straight forward power drummer but then again so am I. :lol:

Ha! Hence my quantifying him as best Rock drummer. Im sure there are guys out there who can play a mean jazz set or some bull, but if you want a drummer to DRIVE, you hire Dr. Dave. :thumbsup:

Ha! Hence my quantifying him as best Rock drummer. Im sure there are guys out there who can play a mean jazz set or some bull, but if you want a drummer to DRIVE, you hire Dr. Dave. :thumbsup:

Ahhh the youngsters that don't even know the origins of Rock and why a good rock drummer is not just a straight forward power drummer. Hence MY reference to me being a good power drummer. :D

My favorite lines from The Last Waltz:

[Martin Scorsese is asking Levon Helm about his home state, Arkansas, and his musical influences]

Levon Helm: Bluegrass and country music ... if it comes down into that area and if it mixes there with the rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all that music ...

Martin Scorsese: What's it called?

Levon Helm: Rock and roll. You !@#$ing dumb ass [I added that last part] :bag:

Edited by Chef Jim

Ahhh the youngsters that don't even know the origins of Rock and why a good rock drummer is not just a straight forward power drummer. Hence MY reference to me being a good power drummer. :D

My favorite lines from The Last Waltz:

[Martin Scorsese is asking Levon Helm about his home state, Arkansas, and his musical influences]

Levon Helm: Bluegrass and country music ... if it comes down into that area and if it mixes there with the rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all that music ...

Martin Scorsese: What's it called?

Levon Helm: Rock and roll. You !@#$ing dumb ass [I added that last part] :bag:

You old bag, your first concert hearing drums was cavemen beating a coconut. Get relevant old man!

But, yeah, I would tend to agree. Grohl is a the best drummer for the generation of music currently, and that sad thing is music blows right now. Bieber, Kiesha, Gaga, bunch of homo's.

You old bag, your first concert hearing drums was cavemen beating a coconut. Get relevant old man!

But, yeah, I would tend to agree. Grohl is a the best drummer for the generation of music currently, and that sad thing is music blows right now. Bieber, Kiesha, Gaga, bunch of homo's.

I know you know better than this. :P

I know you know better than this. :P

In general you just cannot turn on the radio and enjoy whatever is on. It gets on my nerves. Even Sirius is starting to sound awful. I've found NPR crap more entertaining recently. To find a new good band or group is hard. You always end up with two or three good songs and thats it.

if you think there is no current good music, then you simply suck at music (the following list is NOT a list of whos currently the best at making music right now, this is simply a best of drummers list currently drumming - you can hate on their bands music or their genre, but these guys are incredible at beating the sticks)

best current drummers:

Questlove from the Roots

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews band

John Fishman from Phish

Patrick Carney from The Black Keys

Dave Grohl QOTSA and more importantly Them Crooked Vultures

Brad Wilk Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

all those guys can stick it, and Carter Beauford is always on top 10 lists of "best drummers of all time"

and as far as modern music goes: if you are stuck in classic rock, please check out The Black Keys as a segue into modern rock

if you think there is no current good music, then you simply suck at music (the following list is NOT a list of whos currently the best at making music right now, this is simply a best of drummers list currently drumming - you can hate on their bands music or their genre, but these guys are incredible at beating the sticks)

best current drummers:

Questlove from the Roots

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews band

John Fishman from Phish

Patrick Carney from The Black Keys

Dave Grohl QOTSA and more importantly Them Crooked Vultures

Brad Wilk Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

all those guys can stick it, and Carter Beauford is always on top 10 lists of "best drummers of all time"

and as far as modern music goes: if you are stuck in classic rock, please check out The Black Keys as a segue into modern rock

The average age of the drummers you mentioned is nearly 45. So if that's your list then there are no good new bands.

Was hoping this would happen when the Foo Fighters announced their hiatus last month.

It's been a shame that the best Rock drummer of my generation hasn't done much drumming over the past 20 years.

I like Joey on drums for QOTSA, but you can't deny Dr. Dave.

He killed it on Songs for the Deaf, so this up my anticipation for more QOTSA.

http://pitchfork.com...lo-leaves-band/

Good news. I've been rocking out QOTSA and Eagles of Death Metal all day.

The average age of the drummers you mentioned is nearly 45. So if that's your list then there are no good new bands.

pretty much my thought, unfortunately. Vocals have died, too. Music in the last 10 years has been fallen off the map.

all of those bands are CURRENT rock musicians...no one said anything about NEW....they are all currently putting out great music...and you can certainly be middle aged and NEW to the music scene....black keys are "relatively" new as far as mainstream is concerned

point was, theres still a lot of great rock and roll - and def. good drummers