NFL admits officiating mistake

Just Jack

I saw that and wondered about it... those quick whistle refs! The article stated that "Redskins linebacker Perry Riley later said that he would have pushed Williams out of bounds had he not heard the whistle". I call FALSE on that. You can clearly see that Riley did not have a good angle and with Williams' speed, he would've still scored. So in the end the whistle blew inadvertently but in my opinion it did not affect the outcome of that play.

whether there was a whistle or not, you finish the play and push him out of bounds...if in fact he was able to...

after watching it, he absolutely gave up on the chase because of the whistle...that said he still should have pushed him out of bounds..

Edited by The Poojer

whether there was a whistle or not, you finish the play and push him out of bounds...if in fact he was able to...

after watching it, he absolutely gave up on the chase because of the whistle...that said he still should have pushed him out of bounds..

Except if he did that he would have probably been hit with a personal foul penalty for a late hit after the whistle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And you'll barely hear anything about this story.

Now if the replacement refs had accidentally blown the whistle, all hell would be let loose.

right - no one said the regulars were perfect, just that a better option being left sitting at home is ridiculous. if you dont understand why people would be upset with that.... i just dont know....

its pretty baseline logic in my head that people can be mad about this, but you cant just flip a switch and improve the quality, a month ago the nfl could do that and because of that the reaction varies...

right - no one said the regulars were perfect, just that a better option being left sitting at home is ridiculous. if you dont understand why people would be upset with that.... i just dont know....

its pretty baseline logic in my head that people can be mad about this, but you cant just flip a switch and improve the quality, a month ago the nfl could do that and because of that the reaction varies...

Yeah, except I haven't seen that the product on the field is any better with the "real" refs vs. the replacements. Everyone kept crying that the replacement refs would cost a team the game -- and an argument can be made that the Packers fell into this camp (although I don't think it's cut and dry, pass interference aside). Now that the real refs cost a game, where's a similar level of outrage?

BTW - check out the record of the Pats* and Packers since the new refs are in place....

Yeah, except I haven't seen that the product on the field is any better with the "real" refs vs. the replacements. Everyone kept crying that the replacement refs would cost a team the game -- and an argument can be made that the Packers fell into this camp (although I don't think it's cut and dry, pass interference aside). Now that the real refs cost a game, where's a similar level of outrage?

BTW - check out the record of the Pats* and Packers since the new refs are in place....

well, personally, i think the calls are improved. and my game experience as a fan has been much more enjoyable (especially when attending games).

if you are arguing that the replacements are just as good, or better than i guess we agree to disagree.

ultimately, the real refs make mistakes. its a high speed game with intricate rules. no one will ever officiate it perfectly. because of that, yes, i do get upset when mistakes happen, but i get more upset when i feel like more mistakes than needed are happening, with a perfectly easy solution being ignored. thats why my reaction to this is different than my reaction to missed calls in september. im upset by mistakes, but an outcry for better training, or slight rules alterations just doesnt get the same attention as fire them all does.

As soon as I saw refs make mistake I immediately thought it was the Giants and Steelers game. Being a Bills fan I've seen some poorly officiated games, but I think that one was the worst. Called a helmet to helmet hit when it didn't happened. I still think the Roethlisberger pass should have been called incomplete.

Wow, have I been watching a different NFL than you? The replacements made more mistakes in one weekend than the real refs have make since they have been back.