Elderly NFL owner had enough, vows changes

Mr. WEO

Come on--you didn't think it was Ralph, did you?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000090326/article/tennessee-titans-owner-bud-adams-fumes-after-loss

"In my 50 years of owning an NFL franchise, I am at a loss to recall a regular-season home game that was such a disappointment for myself and fans of the Titans," Adams told Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean. "We were grossly outcoached and outplayed from start to finish today."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when will Ralph be fuming

If and when fans stop buying tickets to see his inferior product on the field! The FO marketing machine will draft a QB this next draft and all the fans will return thinking a SB is right around the corner.

History has shown that the ONLY time this Bills owner stood up and hired a top coach was when he was forced to by the fans. Bills fans need to grow a pair and stop worrying the team is going to leave, it probably will once this owner dies and the team is sold ....so WTH good is it to support a man who won't commit to keeping the team in Buffalo.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Honestly guys, I think Ralph is too old to really care about the football operations. Instead of being an owner to whom the top employees are accountable, I think he pushes that role to the front office, thereby creating an atmosphere where people keep their jobs a bit too long if underperforming. The Bills pay the price, but can you really blame him? There is more to life than involving yourself in the day-to-day operations of a football team, especially when you're as old as he is. Instead of calling his performance into question, we should wonder why he is adamant about keeping the team until his death. He should have already sold it to an owner who is involved enough to foster accountability within the organization, and I think Ralph may be past that stage.

Just to be clear, I could be 100% wrong about Ralph's current involvement, and my post is pure speculation. It's just the impression that I get.

Honestly guys, I think Ralph is too old to really care about the football operations. Instead of being an owner to whom the top employees are accountable, I think he pushes that role to the front office, thereby creating an atmosphere where people keep their jobs a bit too long if underperforming. The Bills pay the price, but can you really blame him? There is more to life than involving yourself in the day-to-day operations of a football team, especially when you're as old as he is. Instead of calling his performance into question, we should wonder why he is adamant about keeping the team until his death. He should have already sold it to an owner who is involved enough to foster accountability within the organization, and I think Ralph may be past that stage.

Just to be clear, I could be 100% wrong about Ralph's current involvement, and my post is pure speculation. It's just the impression that I get.

I could be wrong but I believe I heard that he is going to keep the team until he dies for tax reasons for his daughters. If he sells it he would get taxed and his daughters would get taxed when he leaves all the money to them. Waiting for his death means they would only get taxed once on it.

I could be wrong but I believe I heard that he is going to keep the team until he dies for tax reasons for his daughters. If he sells it he would get taxed and his daughters would get taxed when he leaves all the money to them. Waiting for his death means they would only get taxed once on it.

His wife would inherit the team, it is presumed. And she would therefore pay no inheritance tax.

His daughters are elderly, how many hundreds of millions can they spend in the time they have left on this earth?

Greedy old bastards, all of them.

His wife would inherit the team, it is presumed. And she would therefore pay no inheritance tax.

His daughters are elderly, how many hundreds of millions can they spend in the time they have left on this earth?

Greedy old bastards, all of them.

I realize that Ralph is going to auction off the team but from a tax standpoint what would happen if his wife inherited the team and then sold it. Would she have to keep the team for any specific time frame to avoid the inheritance tax? If she sold the team is the tax rate at a capital tax level or income level?

I share your view of Ralph. How much is enough? In life and death he has a compulsion to squeeze the last nickel. There are many people who consider Ralph to be a benevolent owner and are simply satisfied that he kept his second rate team in the region. They are suckers!

If and when fans stop buying tickets to see his inferior product on the field! The FO marketing machine will draft a QB this next draft and all the fans will return thinking a SB is right around the corner.

History has shown that the ONLY time this Bills owner stood up and hired a top coach was when he was forced to by the fans. Bills fans need to grow a pair and stop worrying the team is going to leave, it probably will once this owner dies and the team is sold ....so WTH good is it to support a man who won't commit to keeping the team in Buffalo.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Me too. Russ Brandon is probably the most influential person in the organization as he is Ralph's right hand man.

Correct, sort of. If I have this right, and I think I am close, Selling it now would be a huge tax hit, as his basis in the team is $25000, resulting in something like a $300m tax hit on a $800m sale price. Then, when he dies and leaves the left over $500m to his heirs, the estate tax will take half of it again, leaving the heirs maybe $200- 300m off a $800m sale of the team. Really really stupid to sell it before he is deceased,