And the reason we lost today is....

Virgil

this team has lived by the 2 headed running attack all year long, today they go in against a team that is probably best in the entire league against running(ok, 3rd in rushing defense, 5th in passing defense)....we have the 3rd ranked rushing offense in the NFL...and we were within one drive of the lead in the 4th quarter after going against our strength and Houston's bigger strength...our regular offense does NOT stack up against this top 5 defense...we knew we couldn't go with status quo....Gailey saw that we could attack them with 7-13 yard passes as opposed to trying to maintain a 7 yard per carry running attack..and it almost worked....the houston defense, when presented with the run, for the most part stuffed our asses....when we tried the short passes we were successful...almost VERY successful. Had Chandler mad a couple of 'easy' catches...had Lindell made an early field goal..Gailey would be carried through the streets of buffalo on the shoulders of the residents....instead we stayed with arguably the best team in the NFL for 52 minutes....keep in mind, we are NOT among the best teams in the NFL.....obviously our coaching staff knows more than we do....if we had 40 rushing attempts today, i fear the game would have been 50+-3 in favor of houston....

I was sitting at dinner, watching the Giants game and the Bills score flashed. And today, I wasn't really that mad about the loss as I'm just plain numb.

However, as that score flashed, I just looked at 3-5 record and felt deflated. Another year where it's over at the halfway mark and we have the Pats on the road next week.

This just blows

I was sitting at dinner, watching the Giants game and the Bills score flashed. And today, I wasn't really that mad about the loss as I'm just plain numb.

However, as that score flashed, I just looked at 3-5 record and felt deflated. Another year where it's over at the halfway mark and we have the Pats on the road next week.

This just blows

what blows is Nix came out this week and already announced Chan will be back next year. Why? Why give this guy a free pass? The team continues to digress 2&1/2 years into his tenure, and he shows no signs of getting better as a head coach.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

what blows is Nix came out this week and already announced Chan will be back next year. Why? Why give this guy a free pass? The team continues to digress 2&1/2 years into his tenure, and he shows no signs of getting better as a head coach.

And at this point, if it's not Gailey, it must be Nix...Right?

Of course, the truth is, it's likely both... B-)

That's my real suspicion: they both know they have no where to go so they're watching each others backs. Cashing checks for as long as they can get away with it.

It's a situation where only Ralph can make the call for change unless Buddy, or Chan, retires...It seems as if Nix is locked in to stay at least another year, and I'm certain he's going to try to take Chan along with him...

I wish I could be optimistic in any way...But as I sit here right now, knowing Nix and Gailey are likely both here till at least the end of 2013...Knowing it's likely we get one more year of Fitz...Knowing this Team still has some serious holes to fill with a Scouting Dept that can't help the Coach, or a Coaches that can't help the players...Well...It feels like we're in for a tough next 13-plus-Months or so... B-)

It's a situation where only Ralph can make the call for change unless Buddy, or Chan, retires...It seems as if Nix is locked in to stay at least another year, and I'm certain he's going to try to take Chan along with him...

I wish I could be optimistic in any way...But as I sit here right now, knowing Nix and Gailey are likely both here till at least the end of 2013...Knowing it's likely we get one more year of Fitz...Knowing this Team still has some serious holes to fill with a Scouting Dept that can't help the Coach, or a Coaches that can't help the players...Well...It feels like we're in for a tough next 13-plus-Months or so... B-)

Exactly. The southern boys found a nice way to keep getting paid. Ralph is too old and out of it to care or be involved any more. His only interest now is settingh up his heirs for a highest bidder sale. Why the rock the boat and expend energy cleaning house again when it won't effect sale prospects, and may even hurt it with new, Longer and more expensive legacy Contracts that a new owner will discount.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Plain and simple: This team has no balls with Chan Gailey as the HC. Honestly, I don't remember the last time this team had any balls. When the Texans are going for it on 4th down with the lead in the 4th quarter and we haven't gone for it on 4th on multiple occassions throughout the game behind against a 6-1 team, on the road, with the opportunity to make a statement to our Division and the League, it shows that Kubiak has CONFIDENCE in his players and offense and that Chan doesn't.

Exactly. Going into the Texans house and playing conservative football as 10 plus underdogs is a joke. Chan would be such a great Offensive Coordinator, if only he had a head coach like Reid or Tomlin or Harbaugh to handle the rest......

These are perfectly thrown fifty+ yard passes… why can’t Fitz seem to throw these anymore??? Seriously…. Was there a shoulder injury or something that occurred that I’m not remembering? Maybe it was one of the infamous “undisclosed” injuries Chan likes to gamble with? He had a bunch of similar throws (for long TDs) with Owens in 2009 as well (on YouTube)… WTF happened?

(Full Disclosure… the 1st link is a tough one to watch… brings up horrible memories, LOL…)

If Nix and Chan have a real 5 year plan, I would stay with it till new owner has his say. Changing every 3 years is getting us nowhere any sooner. I blame injuries, poor conditioning and poor motivation. They could use ex pro bowlers as assistants to light a fire and help train the players.

or longer...

Yea, whats sucks is the only thing Bills fans can look forward to is next years draft.... OH WAIT! the last 3 drafts have stunk :doh:

Well, at least we can wait till ownership changes and the new owner hires a top president / GM / HC ...maybe. OH WAIT! Ralph Wilson is selling to the highest bidder who might move the team to LA, or London :death:

this team has lived by the 2 headed running attack all year long, today they go in against a team that is probably best in the entire league against running(ok, 3rd in rushing defense, 5th in passing defense)....we have the 3rd ranked rushing offense in the NFL...and we were within one drive of the lead in the 4th quarter after going against our strength and Houston's bigger strength...our regular offense does NOT stack up against this top 5 defense...we knew we couldn't go with status quo....Gailey saw that we could attack them with 7-13 yard passes as opposed to trying to maintain a 7 yard per carry running attack..and it almost worked....the houston defense, when presented with the run, for the most part stuffed our asses....when we tried the short passes we were successful...almost VERY successful. Had Chandler mad a couple of 'easy' catches...had Lindell made an early field goal..Gailey would be carried through the streets of buffalo on the shoulders of the residents....instead we stayed with arguably the best team in the NFL for 52 minutes....keep in mind, we are NOT among the best teams in the NFL.....obviously our coaching staff knows more than we do....if we had 40 rushing attempts today, i fear the game would have been 50+-3 in favor of houston....

very good post, i like.

So you are saying we have been good at running, but not good enough to run against #3 run D. We have not been good at passing, but good enough to go against the #5 passing D. Got it.

For those asking for Gailey's head, let me pose a hypothetical question: Gailey as HC, Norv Turner as OC and Mangini/Kevin Greene as DC.

Would you guys be upset at that ? Nix said obliquely that Gailey has another year but did not say in what capacity.

Norv Turner is the offensive equivalent of Wanstache.

No WAY!!!!!

No WAY!!!!

No WAY!!!!

They both should be giving Jimmy Johnson a cut of every paycheck.

Edited by Why So Serious?

In a game the Bills had no business keeping close. 7-3 in the 2nd Quarter with a 1:45 to play in the half.

4th and 2 and Houston 4.

FG Attempt.

To quote the Future Tuesday Morning QB that will be out on the 6th.

"TMQ wrote Houston wins"

Why not got for it???

If you can't get the two yards for the 1st down or the 4 yards for the TD. The Texans have to go 96 yards in a 1:45 seconds.

That is how you play to "Not Lose" as opposed to playing to win.

And yet we got the points and the ball back with a minute and two seconds on the clock. This games was lost by a sum of things. That decision was not the one that lost it.

We couldn't stop Andre Johnson. We had no answers for him. On that 3rd and 2 that Gilmore gave a big cushion because he was already victimized by him and he just played it safe.

We couldn't read misdirection, being a rookie LB or a 10 year veteran. We get easily duped by it every single game.

We couldn't run on 3rd and 1, Spiller got stuffed.

We couldn't stop Foster on 3rd and 11 when we got them pinned down on their 5 yard line.

We are not a tough team and worst of all we're not a smart one either.

And yet we got the points and the ball back with a minute and two seconds on the clock. This games was lost by a sum of things. That decision was not the one that lost it.

We are not a tough team and worst of all we're not a smart one either.

Imagine if the Bills got the Ball back 20 yards closer to the goaline.

The point isn't that that decision lost the game.

The point is that if you make coaching decisions like that you're more than likely going to lose the game.

But, thats been Chans MO FOREVER. He was fired from KC bc he refused to run the ball.

He has a more diversified skill set than you are giving him credit for.

He was fired from GT in part because he refused to throw the ball - even though he had Calvin Johnson on his roster.

I think another poster had it right. Chan wants to show the world what a genius he is by not doing what anyone with half a brain would do.

He hasn't figured out that this means he winds up doing what only someone with no brain at all would do. Smart boy.

He has managed to lose the team. Jackson, even Fitz are calling out his gameplan and playcalls.

i'd like to see a yards per attempt stat from the wildcat. it's got to be abysmal. yet he continues to run it at crucial times. he's really not smart enough to outsmart anyone.

Agreed, it's just a wasted down, at most we pick up a couple of yards, and he calls for it at the most inopportune times, or in the red zone

with momentum no less.

Imagine if the Bills got the Ball back 20 yards closer to the goaline.

The point isn't that that decision lost the game.

The point is that if you make coaching decisions like that you're more than likely going to lose the game.

I don't necesarily agree, but it is understandable for us fans to see this as a loser mentality. At that point in the game I don't see it that way.

I don't necesarily agree, but it is understandable for us fans to see this as a loser mentality. At that point in the game I don't see it that way.

I would contend that 13-26 is evidence of coaching decisions that increase the likelihood of a loss.

Not to mention punting when inside your opponents 40.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The Reason We Lost Is Choke Gailey & Ryan Shitzpatrick simply, Neither should even be in the NFL & Dave Weakstedt How Does he keep getting Jobs Really. He can't coach, he has lost two NFL HC Jobs & one College HC Job the game has passed him by

Bingo. The team play calling is off target, the defensive co-ordinator should have been replaced by now, the quarterback situation is unacceptable. I hate seeing a coach fired during the season, but chan should be gone after the last game. Unless of course he racks up nine wins.