It took them 7 games, but THEY DID IT!! Worst D in NFL

San-O

We have the players, it is the coaching that is lacking.

:lol:

Yeah right. Like all Fitz needed was a "QB guru" and he'd become a top flight QB. Time to face facts. The defense stunk under Edwards. It stinks under Wannstedt. It stunk ever since Nix got here and cleaned house. The coaching may be sub par, but there are a lot of bad players on this defense.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would beg Polian to return and pick up where he left off. He knows talent and has connections to wheel and deal.

"Bennett and the Colts were unable to come to an agreement on a contract. Bennett was then dealt to the Bills from the Colts in a three way trade that also included Los Angeles Rams running back Eric Dickerson, and Bills running back Greg Bell. This trade occurred in the fall of the 1987 season, just before the trade deadline, and has been called "the trade of the decade" by the New York Times.[3]

In the NFL, Bennett's talent at the left outside linebacker position helped the teams he played for to 5 Super Bowl appearances (4 with Buffalo and 1 with Atlanta), but they lost them all. In his 14 NFL seasons, he recorded 71½ sacks, 7 interceptions, 112 return yards, 27 fumble recoveries, 78 fumble return yards, and 3 touchdowns (1 interception, 1 fumble return and 1 blocked field goal return).

At the time of his retirement, his 27 defensive fumble recoveries were the third most in NFL history." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Bennett

He never stated the defence was fine, someone made a joke thread after a game guessing what Gailey said in the presser, and that was one of his lines.

But a lot of people didn't pick up on the fact that it wasn't the actual transcript and started ripping on Gailey for saying the defence was fine. All made up.

We can not afford to rebuild again. What we need are new coaches that are flexible and know how to adapt. We need a GM, HC, OC and DC that all know how to build on, and work with the talent they already have. To use what they already have, and tailor their schemes around the strengths of the players and compensate for their weaknesses. To develop, teach and motivate the players to be the best they can be. Dump common conventions and just make the best use of what we have. Stop using old fashion "formulas" and "methods". It is not about whether the 3-4 defense is better than the 4-3, or Cover 2. It is about what scheme is best for the talent you have now and is the quickest and easiest to build upon to win NOW. Be creative and create new trends instead of blindly following old dying ones. Put players in the best position they have the opportunity to excel in. We have 2 RBs to die for. Use them, forget the naysayers that say you can't run and win in today's NFL. Prove the "experts" wrong. Remember, when you speak the word "expert " you are simply describing an unknown drip under pressure. (X= unknown, spurt= drip under pressure)

We have tried using retread coaches from the past, and yes we can't attract the best and brightest established coaches. But i bet the hungry, young talented innovators out there would jump at the chance to show the "good old boys" just what they can do. Could we do any worse than 32nd out of 32 teams.

Edited by simpleman

Let's all just calm down a bit, draw a deep breath and understand that NOTHING is going to change as long as RW is the team's owner. Yes, we all owe RW a debt of gratitude for getting the team on its feet in the early innings, for keeping the team in Buffalo, etc. Times have changed, RW hasn't in terms of the Bills; it's not 1970 any longer. So, Bills fans, have a seat, wait for it...new ownership is on the horizon and rearranging the deck chairs may occupy your minds, but there will be no substantive change until the ownership mantle passes to someone else.

So, Ralph is actually interfering with the defensive calls? Or mandating that they hire Dave Wannstedt because he's heard of him? There hasn't been any substantive change in our defense since 2000? Tom Donohue and Buddy Nix are the same guy who make the same kinds of decisions? Hiring Mario Williams for $100M is a typical Ralph move? I understand how Ralph has caused the franchise problems in past years, but I am just not seeing his fingerprints on our current malaise.

Nix made some really good moves in San Diego and knows how to build a roster.

I am not sure if he has the same ability to evaluate coaching prowess. I still think Gailey is a passable OC, but as HC that went after Wanny (on purpose), he gets poor marks.

There is nothing wrong with this team that a competent DC could not correct.

Make Shawne Merriman a defensive coach. If he can't motivate and fire them up, no one can.

Why can't he motivate now as a backup player? Chris Kelsay is trying. I think SM needs to do the lights out dance on the sidelines and teach the Jills while he's at it. That would get them motivated.

Cutting and releasing guys is no way to attract FAs

Actually, it might be... Think of it -- go to Buffalo, get a signing bonus, get run out of town before half of a season is even over, go to a different team, get another signing bonus, go to the probowl/playoffs/HoF/etc.

Buffalo Bills ranked 32 out of 32 in points per gane at 32.4.

I thought I heard someone say that Gailey stated "the defense is fine", however I had not heard that myself.

31 in yards / game.

32 in rushing yards / game.

32 in avg yards / rush at 6.0 The next worst team is 5.1.

I wonder what the cap hit would be for M. Williams. They simply can't pay that guy whatever he is making for doing nothing.

Where is Buddy Nix, and what the heck does he have to say for this mess that took three years to create?

http://www.nfl.com/s...&seasonType=REG

I was interested in your post until you blamed everything on M. Williams... Let's say it was all his fault, they guy has 60 Million in Guaranteed money, if you are insinuating that they should cut him, that equates to football and financial retardation...

So which is it genius? Cut the players or fire the coaches? Or both? Who replaces them now, mid-season? Come on, you seem full of answers and insight. Or at least full of something.

Hey bud, I'm not the genius who put this thing together. Ralph said himself "three years". Well, it's three years.

I also am in some agreement with other posters that there does seem to be SOME talent on D, Wanny just is brutal. Also, I don't like Gailey as a head

coach. But oh well. Signing Fitz to a long term mega-contract was not good.

I am regularly entertained by the bi-polar mood swings expressed on TBD.

Before the season started people were unrealistically expecting this D to be among the best in the NFL, people were jumping for joy that the Bills actually signed a big free agent.

Now, after 7 games, the Bills defense is completely talentless, and M. Williams should be cut.

It always has to be the extremes...

O look another post where we prepare to run Mario out of town

Ok, we get it. You think some are on a crusade to run a player off( Do fans really have that power? ) So you start your own crusade to point out the other crusade. Hmmm, seems like a vicious cycle.

Alright great plan. Now who are you going to bring in thats better?

Youre mad at Buddy Nix for going out and getting the best defensive player in FA,. The one everyone on this board wanted? Youre mad at him for taking a DT in the top 5. You're mad at him for rebuilding the lines?

I am amazed at the talent that was brought here in the past 3 years. I wont blame Buddy Nix for whats happening with this team. I cant. Cutting and releasing guys is no way to attract FAs or get better

If we cut him this board would call the FO incompetent. Great plan.

Ahh yes wash rinse and repeat. Fewell and Gilbride are terrible coaches right? Those super bowl rings suck right? Im pissed too this team should be sooooo much better. I want to see Gailey turn this around and I want to see improvement, I dont like the idea of starting over. It hasnt worked lately for us and i dont know who we will bring in thats better. Cowher isnt coming here

If not Nix, who do you blame for what's going on with this "amazingly talented" team?

You seem against any idea that change (player/coaching/F.O)could in any way help. So what's the plan to improve? Just keep

doing the same thing with the same people and expect a different result?

Edited by kidprison

Amazing

I am regularly entertained by the bi-polar mood swings expressed on TBD.

Before the season started people were unrealistically expecting this D to be among the best in the NFL, people were jumping for joy that the Bills actually signed a big free agent.

Now, after 7 games, the Bills defense is completely talentless, and M. Williams should be cut.

It always has to be the extremes...

Glad you were one of the few who didn't buy into the hype.

But we already had a strong interior for a 4-3. We add Williams and sack machine Anderson, as well as a corner back draft pick that everyone was saying was the most NFL ready corner in the draft. Plus, we already had a strong safety core.

Don't think it was illogical to think this D line was going to be one of the best, and that the entire team was finally on the short path to respectability.

Also don't think it's bipolar for fans to express negativity. This D is on track to be one of the worst Ds of all time.

No one in their right mind is saying in seriousness we need to cut Mario.