Dareus deals with adversity arcticle

bmur66

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121029/SPORTS/121029172/two-bills-drive1004

More evidence that Gailey doesn't know his team. When he says "I don't know. You should probably talk to the player about that". It speak volumes to me. A coach that knows his team should know his players. It sound like Dareus could use someone to talk to. Isn't that part of what a coach does? But then again, Gailey has stated he is hands off with the defense which make him basically a glorified OC.

Dareus was a monster last year. Obviously he has some things going on that are affecting his production and this 2nd rate organization doesn't have the capacity to help him through it.

http://www.buffalone...bills-drive1004

More evidence that Gailey doesn't know his team. When he says "I don't know. You should probably talk to the player about that". It speak volumes to me. A coach that knows his team should know his players. It sound like Dareus could use someone to talk to. Isn't that part of what a coach does? But then again, Gailey has stated he is hands off with the defense which make him basically a glorified OC.

Dareus was a monster last year. Obviously he has some things going on that are affecting his production and this 2nd rate organization doesn't have the capacity to help him through it.

wasn't that the reason goodell gave for steering michael vick away from buffalo? in retrospect it was probably good thing but it seems the nfl is aware that the bills are not a nurturing, supportive organization for players.

I think you're reading to much into that quote. We have no idea what's happened behind closed doors. If you remember Easley last year they kept trying to get a quote or some info out of Gailey and he kept telling them to talk to the player about it, regarding his heart issue and being put on IR. I think this is a similiar situation where Gailey, being somewhat old school, doesn't feel right talking to the media about a players personal issue(grieving over his half brother's death), and he usually doesn't throw a player under the bus anyway. You can see that further in the quote when he talks about how they could all play better, and tries to get the focus off Dareus.

You can see what I'm talking about a bit when the media presses Gailey about Williams and he tells them to talk to the player. He's hesitant to give out to much info and is choosing to let the player speak for themselves. But behind closed doors I'm thinking the Bills medical staff is giving him a very clear picture of what Williams wrist is and isn't doing

Edited by tjprime

Gailey isn't a baby-sitter or a grief counselor. Not sure why people expect him to "know" all the goings-on of his players. He expects them to show up and do the job they've been paid millions of dollars to do--doesn't seem like an unrealistic expectation.

Plus Gailey is in the last year of his contract, needs to put a good season out there, and one of his key stars decides to take the year off.

Plus Gailey is in the last year of his contract, needs to put a good season out there, and one of his key stars decides to take the year off.

The expectations for Dareus are deservedly high because of where he was picked. But saying he's a key star is incorrect. There are virtually no stars on the team much less key ones.

Gailey isn't a baby-sitter or a grief counselor. Not sure why people expect him to "know" all the goings-on of his players. He expects them to show up and do the job they've been paid millions of dollars to do--doesn't seem like an unrealistic expectation.

in many instances the players are immature and accustomed to being coddled going back to when they were stars in high school and college. i think psychology and mentoring is a major part of the job description of a coach. can you win without it? sure. i doubt belichick spends much time soothing bruised egos but many successful coaches have served as confidants, motivators and counselors for their star players. i agree that this probably isn't gailey's strong suit.

Quote from the linked article. “I really don’t know anymore,” Dareus said last week, when asked whether he thought his play had been affected by the circumstances in his personal life. “It’s life. I really don’t want to speak on that.

“It’s just how things are right now. I still love football. Love everything about it. Love the people, love my teammates. It’s just … I don’t know.”

Marcell is having issues right now. His production isn't going to be great when he has his brothers MURDER on his mind (and deservedly so). If he doesn't want to talk about it then he doesn't want to talk about it. The time will come when he will open up more, but it takes time. Also, when it comes to the murder of a close family member there is NO time frame on mental recovery. It could, and probably will bother him for the rest of his life. Marcell has to work through this. He has to be the one to take the step to get help dealing with it. It's up to him, not Gailey. So when Chan says that "you need to talk to the player" that doesn't mean that he doesn't know. Gailey does, he is just doing his part to help the kid heal. For that, I give Gailey props for taking the heat off of the kid.

Whenever i have heard someone say 'i dont know' about subjects like this, it usually means they do know but dont want to say.

I think dareus is being affected by the loss of his brother. I am sure any of us here would too.

Maybe the OP is reading a little too much into the Gailey comment. I however remember when he was coaching at GT. living in Atlanta and having some close friends who are majorly tied into the program at GT they said Gailey did not belong in college. Gailey cared more about XO's then about building a personal relationship with his players or fan base. In college you as a HC are helping mold the players into adults, whether you like it or not. Marcell is still a pretty young guy. Maybe Gailey is not a HC at all, maybe he spends all his time and energy on the offensive scheme, he has little left to be a motivator or build a relationship with his players.

I think Gailey is probably best suited to be an OC. I think we all believe this to be true, or most of us. Gailey has forgot more about football then most of us on this board will ever know, i am sure. But seems to me he has not learned much about how people/players have changed now a days.

At the end of the day i hope marcell can find peace for himself first and foremost. he is a young man with his entire life in front of him. Sad to see a guy who seems like such a fun loving jovial guy have to endure this type of situation so early on in life. He needs everyone around him to say ' hey, i am here if you need to talk, i care about you'. You would be amazed at what that can do for someone.

Quote from the linked article. “I really don’t know anymore,” Dareus said last week, when asked whether he thought his play had been affected by the circumstances in his personal life. “It’s life. I really don’t want to speak on that.

“It’s just how things are right now. I still love football. Love everything about it. Love the people, love my teammates. It’s just … I don’t know.”

Marcell is having issues right now. His production isn't going to be great when he has his brothers MURDER on his mind (and deservedly so). If he doesn't want to talk about it then he doesn't want to talk about it. The time will come when he will open up more, but it takes time. Also, when it comes to the murder of a close family member there is NO time frame on mental recovery. It could, and probably will bother him for the rest of his life. Marcell has to work through this. He has to be the one to take the step to get help dealing with it. It's up to him, not Gailey. So when Chan says that "you need to talk to the player" that doesn't mean that he doesn't know. Gailey does, he is just doing his part to help the kid heal. For that, I give Gailey props for taking the heat off of the kid.

Exactly, plpus one, full agreement

Whenever i have heard someone say 'i dont know' about subjects like this, it usually means they do know but dont want to say.

I think dareus is being affected by the loss of his brother. I am sure any of us here would too.

Maybe the OP is reading a little too much into the Gailey comment. I however remember when he was coaching at GT. living in Atlanta and having some close friends who are majorly tied into the program at GT they said Gailey did not belong in college. Gailey cared more about XO's then about building a personal relationship with his players or fan base. In college you as a HC are helping mold the players into adults, whether you like it or not. Marcell is still a pretty young guy. Maybe Gailey is not a HC at all, maybe he spends all his time and energy on the offensive scheme, he has little left to be a motivator or build a relationship with his players.

I think Gailey is probably best suited to be an OC. I think we all believe this to be true, or most of us. Gailey has forgot more about football then most of us on this board will ever know, i am sure. But seems to me he has not learned much about how people/players have changed now a days.

At the end of the day i hope marcell can find peace for himself first and foremost. he is a young man with his entire life in front of him. Sad to see a guy who seems like such a fun loving jovial guy have to endure this type of situation so early on in life. He needs everyone around him to say ' hey, i am here if you need to talk, i care about you'. You would be amazed at what that can do for someone.

You make some valid points. OTOH there's players who have complained they never even spoke to their head coach while on teams. Smerlas/Levy quickly comes to mind. Really, coddling coaches in pro sports are few and far between.

This is pro football, and while sympathy is required, his brother was murdered weeks ago, he's paid millions to play a GAME. He should ask for a leave, if he cannot produce what he's paid millions to do. I still believe his problems are compounded by completely inferior coaching. Add that into a tragic death, and it's pretty hard to get inspired on game days.

Agree with most of your post but my question about this is was Gailey posting W or L at the time. I know a few boosters for college programs and it's amazing how their tune changes with the results of the games. Win and you're great, lose and you're a bum kind of thing, so the not relatable to his players thing strikes me as a comment after a L

FWIW, I have the feeling that some of Chan's answers are his way to keep things in house and/or protect his players and not throw anyone under the bus.

That's an ignorant comment. Head coach isn't all about X's and O's. Any coach can teach plays but the best coaches in the NFL are people persons and understand people and how to motivate their players. Jim Harbaugh, Tomlin, Belichick, are among the best at motivating their players. If you don't have this skill then you'll fail as a coach.

Dareus was far from being a "monster" in 2011 unless you are comparing it to his crapola play in 2012. He had a decent year in 2011, but I expected more from the #3 overall pick.

Unless there is a commitment to getting in shape, I have a feeling he is heading down the road of mediocrity.