What If - 1990 Bills play 2012 Patriots. Who wins?

What If? 1990 Bills VS 2012 Patriots  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win if the 1990 Bills played the 2012 Patriots in an AFC Championship?

Bills and I don't think it's close.

Pre-salary cap=/post salary cap

likewise, talent dilution with the expanding league.

i think its much closer than you think though, even with that - who blocks vince wilfork, who covers gronk - the players today have gotten huge and freakishly athletic.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is overrated.

I'm 33 years old, and I've been watching football since the late 1980's. During that period, I would put the following quarterbacks above Brady without even thinking twice:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

John Elway

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

Warren Moon

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Brady belongs in the same conversation as Troy Aikman.

Both were overrated because of their team's success.

50 TD's in an almost undefeated season and 5 Super Bowl appearances including 3 wins does not put you among the top 10? Wow, you are stingey.

Edited by Wooderson

Agreed. I hate Marsha but he is a tremendous QB

30 years ago he would be killed. Careers were not that long 30-40 years ago on a QB for a reason. It is impossible to compare QB's. Still, 1963 or 1993. Id start him on my team over 99% pf the QB's that played in their own era.

The only current QB who might be good enough to span a few decades would be Big Ben.

Oh come on!! I hate him as much as anyone else who's a fan of an AFC East Team, BUT, he is an excellent QB and THE reason the Pats are so successful. I am longing for the day he retires because we won't need to worry about the Pats anymore - they'll be just another team.

He is overrated.

I'm 33 years old, and I've been watching football since the late 1980's. During that period, I would put the following quarterbacks above Brady without even thinking twice:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

John Elway

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

Warren Moon

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

I'm also 33 years old and I consider Tom Brady to be the greatest QB to ever play the game. 3 Super Bowl victories (way more impressive than Montana's 4), 2 additional AFC Championships including the first 16-0 season in football history. And during his 3 Super Bowl victories? Best receiver he ever threw to was Troy Brown. And these were not dominant defenses either. I really question your football IQ here. If you were to ask 100 football historians- your Steve Sabols (RIP), your John Claytons, Chris Berman, whoever, I don't care (please don't criticize one of these guys, I'm just picking names to make a point), 100 of them would place Tom Brady ahead of Jim Kelly all time.

And also, surprised no one's made this point yet: The Pats would win the game as would the 2012 Panthers, because their players on both sides of the line would weigh 30 pounds more, they would be faster, more athletic and wouldn't go out to strip clubs before games and drink and smoke cigarettes. It's like any other sport. I'm sorry, but Shaquille O'Neal would have dominated in the 1950's. Wayne Gretzky would not score 200 points in a season in today's game.

Depends on if this game was played in 2012 or 1990.

Well done.

Since the 1990 Bills are really the first Bills team I saw live I gotta say '90 Bills. Bruch Smith would destroy Vollmer or Solder it wouldn't matter. Cornelius Bennett would also be coming at Brady. Darryl Talley would make things difficult for Gronk. As for Welker I believe Nate Odoms would be all over him in the slot. Mark Kelso often unheralded would be too smart to give up the deep ball.

Jim Kelly with 2012s head in 1990s body would be booze free and smart enough to hand it to Thurman when Belichick dropped 8 into pass coverage.

I think the X Factor would be Mark Pike & Steve Tasker on ST.

Scott Norwood hits the game winner - Bills 27 Patriots 24.

Since the 1990 Bills are really the first Bills team I saw live I gotta say '90 Bills. Bruch Smith would destroy Vollmer or Solder it wouldn't matter. Cornelius Bennett would also be coming at Brady. Darryl Talley would make things difficult for Gronk. As for Welker I believe Nate Odoms would be all over him in the slot. Mark Kelso often unheralded would be too smart to give up the deep ball.

Jim Kelly with 2012s head in 1990s body would be booze free and smart enough to hand it to Thurman when Belichick dropped 8 into pass coverage.

I think the X Factor would be Mark Pike & Steve Tasker on ST.

Scott Norwood hits the game winner - Bills 27 Patriots 24.

Don't forget with Mark Kelso we have 11 men on the field but 12 helmets. That 12th helmet is the key to shutting down Gronk.

Best receiver he ever threw to was Troy Brown.

Deion Branch.

And these were not dominant defenses either.

Not dominant like 2000 Baltimore but they were among the best in the league -

In Super Bowls the Pats' defenses have played quite well; Brady I would not say elite except maybe once vs. Panthers.

N.E. picked off Kurt Warner twice in 2001 (one for TD) and held Marshall Faulk to 78 yards. Vinatieri kicks the 48-yard game-winner. The Rams had one of the best offenses to ever play.

2003 - again Vinatieri was the hero although Brady did play well (got picked off once). Turnovers even. Branch caught 10 balls for 143 and a TD.

2004 - Branch is MVP with unstoppable performance (like Jerry Rice before him); McNabb is picked off 3 times and PHI loses a fumble (as does Brady).

2008 & 2011 - N.E. defenses both not as good as in past years, Brady is humiliated against a good pass rush in 2008 (5 sacks, 1 fumble) and outplayed by Eli Manning in 2012.

Not sure what you mean by 3 Brady Super Bowls being more impressive than Montana's 4. Brady has played in 5 and has less wins. The NFC playoffs were very tough to get through in the 80s when you consider NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, and then Dallas' resurgence in the early 90s. SF had two seasons of 14-2 (1990, 1992) and 13-2 (1987) and didn't make it.

Edited by 49er Fan

And also, surprised no one's made this point yet: The Pats would win the game as would the 2012 Panthers, because their players on both sides of the line would weigh 30 pounds more, they would be faster, more athletic and wouldn't go out to strip clubs before games and drink and smoke cigarettes.

This is a key point that a lot of people fail to consider. Two decades have past since the Bills glory days. Aren't the players of today bigger , stronger , and faster? The 1990 Bills , great as they were back then, would likely have some physical matchup problems against the elite teams of today.

Edited by prissythecat

What an odd fascination you have with Deion Branch. He was a nobody in Seattle. You're definitely in the minority in thinking he had a better career than Troy Brown. Neither of them is close to a HoF'er though was the point. You also didn't mention how their defense got destroyed by Steve Smith in the Super Bowl.

What an odd fascination you have with Deion Branch. He was a nobody in Seattle. You're definitely in the minority in thinking he had a better career than Troy Brown. Neither of them is close to a HoF'er though was the point. You also didn't mention how their defense got destroyed by Steve Smith in the Super Bowl.

Top 10 silliest arguments.

You know that the #2/3 WR on almost every list imaginable of all time WR Records played for the Pats for a couple years?

Steve Smith caught 4 balls for 80 yards and a TD in that Super Bowl. You are thinking of the Muhsin Muhammed 85-yard TD.

Branch had a better career than Troy Brown simply on the merits of his Super Bowl MVP alone.

Brown had three ultra-productive years with Brady from 2000-2002 when he was the focal point of the offense, much like Welker has been. But Brown was pretty meaningless in the other 11 years that he played before and after - averaging just 25 catches per season. Hell, Branch caught 51 balls and 5 touchdowns last year at New England in the twilight of his career.

Most of last year's playoff teams would beat the 1990 Bills for one reason only. The physical disparity between those players of the past to the present would decide the game. The size and speed of the average modern NFL roster decides it. I loved what we had in the 90's but they were physically overmatched then in the big one and it would be far worse today.