What If - 1990 Bills play 2012 Patriots. Who wins?

What If? 1990 Bills VS 2012 Patriots  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win if the 1990 Bills played the 2012 Patriots in an AFC Championship?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Belicheck vs Marv Levy? Already been done. SB25

Doesn't matter what Bellicheat does on Defense.

The Pats O-line is weaksauce in 2012. Bruce & Biscuitt would be all up in Brady's mush all game long.

Gronk % Welker would still have a lot of catches but back them we had people that could tackle.

91 Bills may have been better then the 90 Bills. The 92 and 93 Bills teams would have outscored the Patriots.

Offensively they may have been. Don't know/care to look up stats on D but that was the year Bruce limped around on one knee/missed a bunch of games and was a shell of himself in Super Bowl vs Washington.

As for the poll question...Bills crush this Pats team.

Bills win decisively if played by today's rules, they crush them if played by 1990 rules, where different coverage rules allowed more contact, which keeps Welker from running free at will.

Exactly.

Modern offenses like New England wouldn't have done squat back in the 1990's, before illegal contact changed the way football is played.

Can anyone really imagine Brady being successful with his check-down options (Welker, Branch, etc.) being forced to actually beat tight coverage?

He's the most overrated quarterback in the history of the NFL.

And on that same note, can you imagine how good the Bills would have been if we could just put Don Beebe in the slot - dump it off, and let him run free?

We would have been even MORE unstoppable. If that's even possible.

Edited by mjt328

Exactly.

Modern offenses like New England wouldn't have done squat back in the 1990's, before illegal contact changed the way football is played.

Can anyone really imagine Brady being successful with his check-down options (Welker, Branch, etc.) being forced to actually beat tight coverage?

He's the most overrated quarterback in the history of the NFL.

Just because the rules have changed doesn't mean he's an overrated quarterback. As much as I hate the Patriots, he IS one of the best to play the position.

Just because the rules have changed doesn't mean he's an overrated quarterback. As much as I hate the Patriots, he IS one of the best to play the position.

I would add that the "rules changing" is a bit of a misconception. The rules were changed in 1978 for Mel Blount. Bill Simmons & the Boston media have launched this successful brainwashing campaign to convince everyone the rules changed for Bill Polian's Colts, when in reality the refs just butchered a bunch of stuff in the '03 AFC championship game (of course when the rules are enforced to the letter of the law and not to the spirit of the game ie Tuck Rule, they say that was a good call...holy hypocricy?).

Still in fairness to Brady, even if you accept the premise that the rules did change after 2003, he was doing just fine in '03 with mediocre weapons.

Edited by BuffOrange

I would add that the "rules changing" is a bit of a misconception. The rules were changed in 1978 for Mel Blount. Bill Simmons & the Boston media have launched this successful brainwashing campaign to convince everyone the rules changed for Bill Polian's Colts, when in reality the refs just butchered a bunch of stuff in the '03 AFC championship game (of course when the rules are enforced to the letter of the law and not to the spirit of the game ie Tuck Rule, they say that was a good call...holy hypocricy?).

Still in fairness to Brady, even if you accept the premise that the rules did change after 2003, he was doing just fine in '03 with mediocre weapons.

Before the 2004 season, illegal contact was never called.

So even if it was on the rule books before then, cornerbacks were able to keep their hands on the receiver (as long as there was no grabbing or tackling) until the ball was in the air.

Before 2004, you would never see a wide receiver running uncovered across the middle of the field, unless it was a busted coverage. Today, defenders give MASSIVE cushions to guys, because the only real option is keep the play in front of you and try making a good tackle. Ten years ago, the slot receiver was a gimmick position. Today, guys like Wes Welker, Victor Cruz and Danny Amendola are leading the league in receiving.

As far as Brady, I've never tried to say that he's a terrible quarterback, or that he doesn't belong in Canton someday.

It just makes me sick when people say he's the "greatest of all time."

His whole career has been built on check downs and dump offs. He's a great game manager with overinflated stats and a couple rings.

Here are Brady's average stats before 2004 (he was a starter from 2001-2003), when illegal contact became a point of emphasis in the NFL:

3,409 yards passing per season

23 touchdowns per season

61.9 completion percentage

And here are Brady's average stats in the 7 seasons following (2004-2011, subtracting the season he missed in 2008):

4,239 yards passing per season

33 touchdowns per season

64.7 completion percentage

He is overrated.

I'm 33 years old, and I've been watching football since the late 1980's. During that period, I would put the following quarterbacks above Brady without even thinking twice:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

John Elway

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

Warren Moon

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Brady belongs in the same conversation as Troy Aikman.

Both were overrated because of their team's success.

Before the 2004 season, illegal contact was never called.

So even if it was on the rule books before then, cornerbacks were able to keep their hands on the receiver (as long as there was no grabbing or tackling) until the ball was in the air.

Before 2004, you would never see a wide receiver running uncovered across the middle of the field, unless it was a busted coverage. Today, defenders give MASSIVE cushions to guys, because the only real option is keep the play in front of you and try making a good tackle. Ten years ago, the slot receiver was a gimmick position. Today, guys like Wes Welker, Victor Cruz and Danny Amendola are leading the league in receiving.

As far as Brady, I've never tried to say that he's a terrible quarterback, or that he doesn't belong in Canton someday.

It just makes me sick when people say he's the "greatest of all time."

His whole career has been built on check downs and dump offs. He's a great game manager with overinflated stats and a couple rings.

Here are Brady's average stats before 2004 (he was a starter from 2001-2003), when illegal contact became a point of emphasis in the NFL:

3,409 yards passing per season

23 touchdowns per season

61.9 completion percentage

And here are Brady's average stats in the 7 seasons following (2004-2011, subtracting the season he missed in 2008):

4,239 yards passing per season

33 touchdowns per season

64.7 completion percentage

You can probably find some of the no-calls from the '03 title game online - I'm sorry but it wasn't uncommon for that stuff to be called at the time. The Indy TE's/WR's weren't throwing their hands in the air asking for unprecedented flags out of desparation - they were being mauled.

WR's were never open over the middle? I thought Andre Reed made a career out of that.

To your point there is very little question the game has been officiated differently the last ~8 years. There is almost no other explantion for the incredible spike in passing #'s accross the league; I was just basically ranting against the hypocricy of nonsensical Patriot fans.

It'd have been great if the NFL just didn't start enforcing all the ticky tack stuff to cover up for the fact they butchered a bunch of blatant stuff in a championship game.

Edited by BuffOrange

He is overrated.

I'm 33 years old, and I've been watching football since the late 1980's. During that period, I would put the following quarterbacks above Brady without even thinking twice:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

John Elway

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

Warren Moon

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Brady belongs in the same conversation as Troy Aikman.

Both were overrated because of their team's success.

Ironically, the one guy on that list that Brady most compares to is Joe Montanna, who some will claim is the greatest QB of the modern era, and belongs on the short list of all-time greats. I am 47, and I recall the same "he isn't that good" arguments being made about Montanna in his 80's prime.

The other guys on your list (except maybe Brees) were all, perhaps, more physically gifted in terms of arm strength, but few (other than Montanna) have gotten more out of their abilitlies than Montanna or Brady. I don't like him either, but this notion that he is not one of the all-time greats is just flat out silly. He has the stats, and the results... there is some creedence, IMO, to the notion that QB's in todays game have a rules edge over guys from the the pre-2000's... but then have to give Manning and Brees the same asterik.