Wanny's scheme

vegas55

Wanny's scheme is like Jauron's scheme. It is a very good scheme, but requires 11 pro-bowl caliber players.

That's what makes Wade Phillips' defense so attractive-- he can create an excellent defense with maybe 2 really great players.

The Bills have way more talent on defense than the Texans, yet they're almost last in the league in defense.

Have multiple posts in this thread really gone to the "have patience" line? 12 years later this same line is being spewed? 3 years into the Gaily regime this line is still being spewed? What, anytime any change is made to the coaching staff that immediately lets them off the hook for that year?

I've seen lots of other teams make changes to their D coordinator - without the two straight defensive heavy drafts and big free agent moves- and not give up 3 games of 40+ points in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Those fans in San Francisco need to "have patience" with Jim Harbaugh and D coordinator Vic Fangio being that they're only into the second year with the team. Maybe by year four they'll be pretty good.

Edited by MDH

It wasn't 4th and 17. It was 4th and 10. And it was McGee who appeared to blow the coverage on the play. I know that facts generally have no place on the Wall, but I figured what the hey...

You sir are correct on all three accounts....It was 4th and 10, it was MGee who blew the coverage, and yes facts have no place on TBD...

Gilmore or McKelvin should have been on Fitzgerald.

It wasn't 4th and 17. It was 4th and 10. And it was McGee who appeared to blow the coverage on the play. I know that facts generally have no place on the Wall, but I figured what the hey...

Actually if you look at the film, it was 4th and 11; and even worse, it was LB Scott covering Fitzgerald. So those are the exact facts - but what the hey. The point remains the same, the defensive scheme/call in that critical situation was brutal.

If i recall correctly, mcgee dropped into zone - turned around to find out it was a man call. Cant fault a coach for a players mental mistake

its the coaches job to make sure his players dont have mental mistakes. Thats what coaches do at practice

Our defense has given up 48, 52, and 45 points in three of the six games. That is pathetic. It appears no matter what thread I read these days, there are going to be at least a few "Fitz sucks" posts. Yes, we have a problem at quarterback; but that is not the reason we lost those three games. How many quarterbacks in the league are going to outscore 48, 52, and 45 points in a game? Guess what. We won the three games where the defense played half way decently.

I do think if we were to identify the LVP (Least Valuable Player) for the first six games it would be Wannstadt. I loved the comment on this thread about "the scheme is good if you have 11 pro-bowlers". Wanny just decided to start coaching in the last game. We finally saw a little creativity in the Arizona game. So; what the hell was Training Camp for?

To the argument that Wanny doesn't have the horses; he's got any awful lot of number one and two round draft choices on his defense (see below). Yes, he has a young set of corners; and linebackers. However; all defensive coordinators in the NFL; are faced with personnel that are young. There are no "Steel Curtain" rosters anymore; with free agency. Teams have to play rookies, and second year players.. All of them. So it's the job of the "well paid" Defensive Coordinator to come up with creative schemes to hide the vulnerabilities in his defense. Wanny has obviously come up short to date.

M Williams (1st round - 1st pick)

Darius (1st round - 3rd pick)

Anderson (5th round)

Kelsay (2nd round)

Sheppard (3rd round)

Barnett (1st round)

Moats (6th round)

Gilmore (1st round)

McKelvin (1st round)

Bryd (2nd round)

A Williams (2nd round)

Just trust in the mustache. The defense played with passion and violence the whole game in Arizona. Busted Kolb and Byrd picked his way to AFC defensive player of the week. Lets expect the same this week and let the dice fall. Pride is an amazing motivator. There is no place to go but up. And one can never underestimate a classic mustache.

You sir are correct on all three accounts....It was 4th and 10, it was MGee who blew the coverage, and yes facts have no place on TBD...

Gilmore or McKelvin should have been on Fitzgerald.

Actually wrong on all 3 - 4th and 11, Scott on coverage, and facts are important.

Are you looking at the same play. McGee blew coverage on a later play

That is a fact… wait, what?

Wanny's scheme is like Jauron's scheme. It is a very good scheme, but requires 11 pro-bowl caliber players.

That's what makes Wade Phillips' defense so attractive-- he can create an excellent defense with maybe 2 really great players.

The Bills have way more talent on defense than the Texans, yet they're almost last in the league in defense.

We have way more talent?

They have probowl players at every level. We don't have a probowl linebacker, or corner.

It'll be interesting to see how they respond to the Cushing injury and Rodgers dropping 6 tds on them. But I suppose that doesn't happen to good defenses like there's?

There's suddenly this myth sneaking into this board that wanny requires 11 elite players to even be functional and I'm just not buying it. We're in our 3rd scheme in 4 years. Lets give a bit of patience while we stock pieces that fit and the guys gel.

Watching the SU defense destroy Unconn last night made me wish we had their DC, or the one from ND instead of Wanny. His D's are so vanilla. Everyone knows what they are doing. They are reactive instead of dictating to the offense.

Is this a fill in the blank? How about "Wanny's scheme sucks." B-)

Or, Wanny has a scheme?

Dont worry he will get his legs under him soon enough. I thought he would come out guns a blazin'.

but he has sacrificed some games asking players to win one on ones and playing very simple football.

Last week he opened the book a bit and it showed. Long way to go.

The players have shown their concern. Gotta be hard to trust Dave in his first year, and it shows.

i hate to say it more than once, but patience is needed this year, and we might not go to playoffs. But i can see this Defense finishing very strong. Alot of youth on a young team really. And the offense looking forward to the draft for QB of the future/sooner

I am hoping this is the case as well. The Bills have been focused on bringing in a lot of talent on the defensive side and there are a lot of guys playing in a new system with guys they only just met this summer. One thing that is standing out right now is that the defense is no longer solely relying on the front four to bring pressure on the QB. Nick Barnett had 2 sacks in the win over AZ. Others are getting involved too. I'm liking what I'm seeing from the D right now. If they can do a good job of shutting down the Titans this weekend they can build off of that.

Hasselbeck is a pocket passer that doesn't like to take off and run. Bills should get some sacks. I also think the secondary has been steadily improving. Of course the pressure that the team has been generating makes it easier on the backfield. The 2 Bird picks were good to see.

I really think these guys just need to figure out how to play together. The scheme can't be blamed for bone headed mistakes by players that haven't yet figured out what their assignment is and what the guy next to him is supposed to do. There is a lot more going on than just what we perceive from watching the game.

The problem with Wannstedt's scheme is the LACK of ADJUSTMENTS.

I was yelling at the tv from my couch in the first quarter of the Jets game - screaming for the Bills defensive backs to start playing tighter coverage. If I could see the problem from my living room, why couldn't our defensive coordinator? The Bills didn't finally adjust until Week 2 against Kansas City.

The gameplan against New England was a good one. Replacing our linebackers with an extra safety (Scott) was a very good strategy for taking out Gronk, Welker and the short passing game. But when Brady/Belichick figured it out and started running the ball down our throat, Wannstedt had no counter.

LIke someone else mentioned, our defense played very good against Arizona. But with the game on the line, Kolb kept scrambling for first downs. Why wouldn't our defense start spying the quarterback? If Kolb hadn't gone down with an injury, the outcome of that game might have been completely different.

Football is like a chess match.

But after Wannstedt makes his first move, it's almost like he packs up his playbook and heads home for the day.

To the argument that Wanny doesn't have the horses; he's got any awful lot of number one and two round draft choices on his defense (see below). Yes, he has a young set of corners; and linebackers. However; all defensive coordinators in the NFL; are faced with personnel that are young. There are no "Steel Curtain" rosters anymore; with free agency. Teams have to play rookies, and second year players.. All of them. So it's the job of the "well paid" Defensive Coordinator to come up with creative schemes to hide the vulnerabilities in his defense. Wanny has obviously come up short to date.

The current Bills defense is unquestionably weaker than the last one Jauron fielded in 2009. All three of their linebackers are weaker and their secondary is weaker. That defense finished 16th in the league. There's not going to be a Wannstedt miracle. The current roster is a bottom half group.