Wanny's scheme

vegas55

A win covers a lot of blemishes but you have to be shaking your head over defensive coordinator Wannstedt and his defensive calls/schemes. I love that Gilmore lobbied to cover Fitzgerald, and did a great job to boot, but with the game on the line, 4th and long, the Cardinals simply line Fitzgerald up in the slot and all of a sudden it's a safety (Wilson) covering Fitzgerald instead of a corner/Gilmore. And they easily pick up a 4th and 17 because of that mismatch. Almost cost us the game.

It just can't be made that easy for an offense to simply line up their best receiver in the slot and get a match up with a safety. The defensive scheme just has to be better/ more sophisticated than that.

The bills defense only works if the front four can get pressure on their own. And if they can't records are broken. And what happened to actually trying to confuse the offense. The only thing I saw that was positive was Wannstache letting the dline move around the line. Other than that this defense is very easy to figure out.

The bills defense only works if the front four can get pressure on their own. And if they can't records are broken. And what happened to actually trying to confuse the offense. The only thing I saw that was positive was Wannstache letting the dline move around the line. Other than that this defense is very easy to figure out.

Your profile picture is creepy as heck, awesome!

Dont worry he will get his legs under him soon enough. I thought he would come out guns a blazin'.

but he has sacrificed some games asking players to win one on ones and playing very simple football.

Last week he opened the book a bit and it showed. Long way to go.

The players have shown their concern. Gotta be hard to trust Dave in his first year, and it shows.

i hate to say it more than once, but patience is needed this year, and we might not go to playoffs. But i can see this Defense finishing very strong. Alot of youth on a young team really. And the offense looking forward to the draft for QB of the future/sooner

Edited by 3rdand12

Perhaps part of the problem is that Williams and McGee are struggling to cover WR while Wilson, Scott and Barnett are struggling to cover TEs, and the front four is struggling to get pressure on the QB.

Now you may say that this is all Wannstedt's fault, except that they stunk just as bad under Edwards the previous two seasons. They've pretty much stunk as soon as Nix and Gailey got here and started jettisoning Jauron's defensive personnel, so if you're going to blame someone I'd start there.

I may be in the minority but I've got a feeling that Wanny will turn the defense around, but it may take a little time.

The scheme is great if you are playing inferior offensive lines with inferior QBs and RBs that have rum less than 50 times at that position. When playing against a mediocre line and mediocre players the scheme is very poor, when against established offensive lines and good QBs you give up 500+ yards and 50 points.

Don;t confuse a win against a piss poor offense a step in the right direction.

This Sunday, Hasselback will look like a rejuvenated QB and Chris Johnson will look like a 2,000 yard rusher.

There's not enough lipstick in WNY to cover the smile on this pig.

Edited by jumbalaya

A win covers a lot of blemishes but you have to be shaking your head over defensive coordinator Wannstedt and his defensive calls/schemes. I love that Gilmore lobbied to cover Fitzgerald, and did a great job to boot, but with the game on the line, 4th and long, the Cardinals simply line Fitzgerald up in the slot and all of a sudden it's a safety (Wilson) covering Fitzgerald instead of a corner/Gilmore. And they easily pick up a 4th and 17 because of that mismatch. Almost cost us the game.

It just can't be made that easy for an offense to simply line up their best receiver in the slot and get a match up with a safety. The defensive scheme just has to be better/ more sophisticated than that.

Good find, Wanny stuck in his old ways time to get some young blood in here.

Dave W. has had a top ten defense in all his places he has been a d coordinator. Most of us remember those cowboy days, and he set that up. He is getting the right pieces together and it will take a year to get them in place. I felt they could be playing better ball but also feel he will have the pieces in place by next year. Not for anything but the hawks have one of the best defenses in the league and it's the same as the Bills. They just have a few better pieces. Remember we were a 4-3 got rid of that and went 3-4, got rid of the 4-3 players for 3-4 now converting back to a 4-3. Not a good situation but it is being addressed and should be much improved by next year. We need a new qb more than anything though. I do agree giving up so many points in two games is crazy but we also are getting a better LB corps as Moats and Morrison are no longer starters as our rookie has starting to step up and will be a beast. Sheppard needs to man up better and we will be fine. To have a great defense you need a good offense to help keep our defense off the field. That's how you get a great defense is they play half of the time as their offense. That has not happened yet. I feel that it will in time.

I saw a wide variety of defensive fronts on Sunday. More variety than all the other games. Its coming along. Need to be patient. Or we can blow it up and start all over again. I'd rather be patient. Its a long season and we will get healthier and better and play teams more our size as the season moves into the second half. The rookie Brooks is coming back and he is a player.. hated to see him go down in preseason. Never thought they should have cut Merriman so that may be a positive. Mario is looking stronger , Kyle quicker and Kelsay is a force. Bradham is learning the hard way to set the edge... this all takes time. We only have a couple 4-3 LBs and are starting two rookie corners. Give it a rest . This is a 8-8 maybe 9-7 team if if if they get healthy. I'll take that this year.

Dave W. has had a top ten defense in all his places he has been a d coordinator. Most of us remember those cowboy days, and he set that up. He is getting the right pieces together and it will take a year to get them in place. I felt they could be playing better ball but also feel he will have the pieces in place by next year. Not for anything but the hawks have one of the best defenses in the league and it's the same as the Bills. They just have a few better pieces. Remember we were a 4-3 got rid of that and went 3-4, got rid of the 4-3 players for 3-4 now converting back to a 4-3. Not a good situation but it is being addressed and should be much improved by next year. We need a new qb more than anything though. I do agree giving up so many points in two games is crazy but we also are getting a better LB corps as Moats and Morrison are no longer starters as our rookie has starting to step up and will be a beast. Sheppard needs to man up better and we will be fine. To have a great defense you need a good offense to help keep our defense off the field. That's how you get a great defense is they play half of the time as their offense. That has not happened yet. I feel that it will in time.

Sorry, but this is BS. Wanny has the pieces now. Sure the LB's aren't the best, and the corners are young, blah blah blah...Against any offense not named the Chiefs Browns and Cardinals (all awful bottom dwellers on offense), The Bills have been torched for over 45 points a game, including setting all time NFL records for worst defense. And don't forget, Wanny was hear all last year as well, these excuses don't fly..

This is all on Wanny. What worked 20 years ago doesn't work now, he has proven to be unable to make adjustments to opposing teams. He hasn't been able to get our talented D line matchups that work to their advantage. While the good opposing coaches have been able to make adjustments and pick us apart, specifically in the second half.

The Bills defense for all intensive purposes is one of the healthiest in the league, so that's a crock also...

Look at what Wade Phillips did in Houston, where he turned one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best in one offseason. Saying Wanny needs several years to turn it around is ridiculous. The Bills didn't need to be the best D in the league, but they shouldn't be the WORST.

Actually with the exception of one blown play I thought the Bills bottled Fitzgerald just fine. Gilmore was probably only covering him half the time at best. I thought it was strange that they had Scott on him a lot of the time, but he actually did a good job.

Where Wanny failed, is in his inability to adjust to opposing game plans. When Kolb started running, he had no answer, and they started moving down the field with ease. He made no attempts to spy, or adjust the defense to stop those easy yards. It could have cost us the game, and probably should have.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

there is a lot of talent on this d. wanny is still tinkering with the game plan. i thought that moving mario around was a good idea, even some of the strange formations used were pretty good. i remember one where no one had their hand in the dirt and it was a 5 man rush. though 6 or 7 were on the line/faking blitz. wanny took that very vanilla nickel scheme and made changes, i like that he made some changes to the over all game plan. i am interested to see if he is still willing lean heavily on the nickel formations or if he's going to run more of different looks. gilmore seems to be handling man coverage its the other defensive backs that seem to have issues, usually against the slot reciever and TE. having a lb cover the opposing teams #1 wr is never good news. that has to be accounted for.