SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is interesting....don't know anything about him..but it adds instant depth at guard next year...

http://www.syracuse....is_possibl.html

He would be a God-send.

We have no insurance at the PG position, and banking on a freshman makes me very nervous.

Getting a veteran who can come in and play 10 minutes per game at the point would be really nice.

you move?????

He would be a God-send.

We have no insurance at the PG position, and banking on a freshman makes me very nervous.

Getting a veteran who can come in and play 10 minutes per game at the point would be really nice.

He would be a God-send.

I agree that this would be good for depth at the point, but don't forget about Mike Gbinije who was running the point with the second unit during practices this season. He reportedly has a very good handle, and could more than capably spell Ennis at the point when needed.

That said, it certainly couldn't hurt to bring in another guard....particularly one who could handle the basketball.

• 1 month later...

Big trade? More like big mistake. I don't get the nba.

On a real note- I think that trade illustrates what makes the offseason scare average fans away. Or atleast part of it, as the nba offseason is a terrible mess that catastrophically hurts the development of new fans in my opinion.

That trade took an hour to be confirmed and no one could figure out which way a first round pick was going to balance out value..... AND analysts called it a good trade both ways!

On a real note- I think that trade illustrates what makes the offseason scare average fans away. Or atleast part of it, as the nba offseason is a terrible mess that catastrophically hurts the development of new fans in my opinion.

That trade took an hour to be confirmed and no one could figure out which way a first round pick was going to balance out value..... AND analysts called it a good trade both ways!

I am puzzled by the relevant considerations in the NBA. big centers are drafted like crazy, but they're totally useless unless they can drain 18-foot jump shots. Noel, Len, Adams, fab melo last year-- will never make that shot.

All-star guard like Holliday is traded away, even though it seems like a guard league.

Draft picks are traded like its no big deal.

Just tough and weird to figure these teams out.

I am puzzled by the relevant considerations in the NBA. big centers are drafted like crazy, but they're totally useless unless they can drain 18-foot jump shots. Noel, Len, Adams, fab melo last year-- will never make that shot.

All-star guard like Holliday is traded away, even though it seems like a guard league.

Draft picks are traded like its no big deal.

Just tough and weird to figure these teams out.

Values are crazy before you even get into the nutty cap rules and exemptions and.... Then when casual bandwagon fans get on board in the playoffs, get excited and start following and they get to see their team draft guys that likely never even play?

What, 8 guys are going to get real minutes on a team? Roster building shouldn't be so mysterious or complicated.

It's amazing what something as simple as the draft value chart did for fans being able to play along at home for the nfl. That and a simplified cap system make it easy to get swept up as a new guy to the league.

Edited by NoSaint

There are so many different rules - mid-level exemption, Bird rule, etc. that nobody but Bill Simmons types can follow this............I swear I just saw a trade where one of the throw ins was the decaying carcass of some power forward.

I think Otto Porter will be the gem of this draft. I was almost certain that he would be the #1 pick headed to Cleveland. The guy can do it all. That said, the NBA draft is such a circus. Watching the draft, beyond the first 3 or 4 picks, I just couldn't keep track of who was going where.

I think Otto Porter will be the gem of this draft. I was almost certain that he would be the #1 pick headed to Cleveland. The guy can do it all. That said, the NBA draft is such a circus. Watching the draft, beyond the first 3 or 4 picks, I just couldn't keep track of who was going where.

1) I agree on porter. To me, he's going to be a solid 15 pt/8 board kind of guy, which is a lot more that can be said for most of these guys.

2) I watch a lot of college bball, and I probably only recognized half the names in the draft.

Yep I think he was (is?) the best player in this draft. I like Burke a lot also. Some of the guys ,ade me laugh though 6'9" 195 lbs?!?! 7' 215?!?!? These guys are bean poles. I forget how young they are and how much growth they have left. The NBA draft really only produces a handful of contributors each year. It happens very quickly after the playoffs and the names are not well known. It could never reach the level of the NFL draft because there are 24 contributing players on each NBA team there are 7-8.

brandon triche to charlotte...no word on southerland landing anywhere yet

Surprises me bc I really feel Southerland had the best NBA game. MCW needed to come back to school and develop a shot. He may be alright but would have done much better staying for another year. These guys don't think about the second contract (the one where you make real money) and they should. Donte Greene, Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson all would have done well to stay 1 or 2 more years. None are making near the money they could have bc they cashed their tickets to early.

I thought Flynn made the right move, because I don't think his stock would ever have been higher than after that postseason.............But, would he have had more lasting power instead of ending up in Australia if he had stuck around?

I thought Flynn made the right move, because I don't think his stock would ever have been higher than after that postseason.............But, would he have had more lasting power instead of ending up in Australia if he had stuck around?

Flynn is sort of a weird example, because I think the injuries derailed him more than anything. I still would argue that he would have had a better chance at long-term NBA success had he stayed.

To Section 122's point, I have been advocating for years the need to stay in school for purposes of that second contract. I'd actually like to do a statistical analysis of this, but I waste enough time at work.

Unless you are superstar talent right now (i.e., no need for further development-- think LeBron James, carmelo, Durant), then I would argue that you should err on the side of staying in school.

I even wonder how that might translate if it turns out you made the wrong decision, and you're not drafted-- perhaps you'd still make more money having a more developed game and immediately playing overseas, rather than coming out early, getting drafted, but flaming out of the NBA after 2 years and going overseas?

And, the thing that I've heard is that these players come out early in order to get to that 2nd contract earlier.

That is the only thing I heard that made any sense to me.............Because I don't get why football players would ever stay in school it they are guaranteed to be drafted high. Their chances of getting hurt are so much higher, but yet both Mannings, Leinert, Locker, I think Bradford, Barkley, Luck and I'm sure more - stayed in school when they were guaranteed very high, and some #1 picks.

But as one of the multitudes who loved college so much, if I was a hoops player, I'd stay in, develop my game, and have fun. Only Tim Duncan in the last two decades has seemed to do that when they were going to be a very high pick.

It makes no sense to me.