SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

And, the thing that I've heard is that these players come out early in order to get to that 2nd contract earlier.

That is the only thing I heard that made any sense to me.............Because I don't get why football players would ever stay in school it they are guaranteed to be drafted high. Their chances of getting hurt are so much higher, but yet both Mannings, Leinert, Locker, I think Bradford, Barkley, Luck and I'm sure more - stayed in school when they were guaranteed very high, and some #1 picks.

But as one of the multitudes who loved college so much, if I was a hoops player, I'd stay in, develop my game, and have fun. Only Tim Duncan in the last two decades has seemed to do that when they were going to be a very high pick.

It makes no sense to me.

That is the other puzzling factor. College is the BEST time of your life. And you want to leave early?

Here is my theory about how crazy the NBA is and how silly these players are (to be detailed in a published paper one day once I can hire 20 free interns):

· The NBA is a league where success depends on awesome guard play, yet teams draft tons of big guys and treat star guards like garbage (see Jru Holliday—traded away last night for Nerlens Noel)

· The only big guys that have success are the ones that can consistently hit 17-25 ft jump shots. Yet, of all the big guys drafted high last night, none of them will ever do that. Steven Adams can barely hold the ball, let alone hit a wide-open 3 70% of the time.

· College players who stay all 4 years make more money than guys who leave early, because they have a more developed game and have a better chance at the big-money second contract. See [intern cite]. Yet, the draft has mostly underclassmen.

· Even if a guy makes the wrong choice and stays in college all 4 years (and his NBA draft stock drops or he isn’t drafted), he will still make more money than an early NBA flame-out. This is so because having a more developed game will lead to more immediate success and higher pay overseas, than an underdeveloped NBA flame-out who then goes overseas. See [intern cite].

(edit: font messed up)

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic