SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how poorly SU (ahem, MCW, BT and Southerland) played, and the fact that they were right in the game until the end, that was an incredibly tough way to lose. I thought that the charge calls against MCW and BT late in the game were garbage, but that paled in comparison to the "block" call on MCW. Sure didn't seem like we got any of those 50/50 calls down the stretch.

I did think that UM scored a number of easy baskets, either the result of good ball movement, or 2nd (and in some cases, 3rd and 4th) chances. To me, it just seemed like on D, SU lacked energy. I noticed that on a number of possessions, they had their hands down, and their feet weren't moving. Perhaps some of UM's deep 3s discouraged them?

Once again, the alumni support was incredible. I saw the following at the game, in the SU section: DC (of course), John Wallace, Moten/Bubbles, Hak Warrick, Matt Gorman, Danny Schayes, Dion Waiters, Dave Bing (very cool of the Mayor of Detroit to rock the Orange against UM), Allen Griffin, Uber tool Brandon Reese, Sean McDonough, Howard Triche, Damone Brown...I'm sure that I'm missing a few names. Rob Murphy was also there, although he is technically not alumni. I also saw former Canisius HC Mike MacDonald, Mike Lupica and the Papa John's guy roaming around the aisles in our section.

Also ran into Eric Wood, sporting UL garb, during halftime of the Louisville game. I saw him (obviously, the guy is pretty recognizable) and said "Go Bills!". He looked at me, kind of surprised, and said "Yeah, man!". I asked about his knee, he said that he was doing fine, and I wished him good luck for the upcoming season. As I was walking away, I said "Go Cuse!", and he chuckled. Seemed like a cool dude.

What a rollercoaster season this was. The last 3 weeks were pretty damn awesome.

I know this is a late post, but the Buffalo News seemed to be up against deadline with the Sunday paper, and the article was more about the first half than the 2nd............What was said about that final possession. What was that kid thinking? I went to SU for my MBA, but I'm 100x a fan of Bona, my alma mater. They ended the NCAAs last year the same way. Kid taking a 2 when they needed three..............And, something that nobody seemed to mention anywhere, at least where I was looking, was that Hardaway traveled when he came down with that rebound - before he flipped it upcourt. Did they say anything about that in the Syracuse papers........SU should have had one last shot with plenty of time - 6 seconds or so.

the last few minutes were horrible, the refs took the game over and played a large part on the ending outcome, that said, SU had its opportunities to not allow the refs to be in that position, but it doesn't help. and for the record, the refs weren't too great against michigan either

I know this is a late post, but the Buffalo News seemed to be up against deadline with the Sunday paper, and the article was more about the first half than the 2nd............What was said about that final possession. What was that kid thinking? I went to SU for my MBA, but I'm 100x a fan of Bona, my alma mater. They ended the NCAAs last year the same way. Kid taking a 2 when they needed three..............And, something that nobody seemed to mention anywhere, at least where I was looking, was that Hardaway traveled when he came down with that rebound - before he flipped it upcourt. Did they say anything about that in the Syracuse papers........SU should have had one last shot with plenty of time - 6 seconds or so.

JB said they ran a play for southerland on the last play but he was covered, so cooney had to improvise. You would think that they could have lined cooney, fair, and southerland around the 3- point line, and just had someone shoot it. Oh, well.

Much worse was that was when we had a chance to tie with 20 seconds down by 2 and Triche gets called for a charge. In hindsight, why wasn't the ball in fair's hands?

JB said they ran a play for southerland on the last play but he was covered, so cooney had to improvise. You would think that they could have lined cooney, fair, and southerland around the 3- point line, and just had someone shoot it. Oh, well.

Much worse was that was when we had a chance to tie with 20 seconds down by 2 and Triche gets called for a charge. In hindsight, why wasn't the ball in fair's hands?

Actually glad it didn't work out that way. My exact thoughts when that stoppage occurred were "Please God let anyone but Southerland take this tying attempt"

Who would've thought the Buffalo News would have poor basketball coverage?

I didn't really care about the last sequence because we weren't going to win in OT without both Guards.

It is hilarious to read Michigan fans crying about the refs last night though after the sham that was Saturday.

i don't have a problem with michigan(or any team) complaining about the refs when playing louisville...their tight coverage sometimes is way too physical and i can't believe they get away with so much crap

Who would've thought the Buffalo News would have poor basketball coverage?

I didn't really care about the last sequence because we weren't going to win in OT without both Guards.

It is hilarious to read Michigan fans crying about the refs last night though after the sham that was Saturday.

i don't have a problem with michigan(or any team) complaining about the refs when playing louisville...their tight coverage sometimes is way too physical and i can't believe they get away with so much crap

It's almost to a point that their aggressiveness lets them off the hook. They commit a foul on every possession, but they know the refs will not and cannot call a foul every time down the court.

Russ Smith basically rides the ballhandler halfway up the court, and rarely gets called.

I throw another baseless cuse basketball rumor out there.....Rakeem Christmas pondering a transfer to.....wait for it......Temple???????? That's the word around the campfire! Again, if it happens you heard it here first! If it turns out to be complete BS, you didn't hear it from me!

Please feel free to use the ignore function if my gibberish is growing tiresome :lol:

He has a chance to be a beast at Syracuse the next 2 years, I hope he has the patience to wait it out. Keita and DeJuan are good, but they will take a back seat to him as the starter.

Earlier today I heard a rumor that Christmas was going pro to Europe.

With this rumor and the temple rumor, seems like something is definitely up with Christmas.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/apr/08/mens-basketball-interesting-list-of-coaches-fgcu/

G-MAC's name among assistant coaches being considered for FGSU's head coaching vacancy. Perhaps that rumor about him being considered for the Sienna job wasn't that far off base. I highly doubt he will get the job...I suspect they will try to hire a "big name" after their run in the tournament, but it's interesting that Gerry is getting consideration after only 2 years as an assistant.

not necessarily being considered...he was recommended for the job...boehiem probably threw it out there to boost his visibility....i hope he gets a nice coaching job when he is ready..

http://www.naplesnew...f-coaches-fgcu/

G-MAC's name among assistant coaches being considered for FGSU's head coaching vacancy. Perhaps that rumor about him being considered for the Sienna job wasn't that far off base. I highly doubt he will get the job...I suspect they will try to hire a "big name" after their run in the tournament, but it's interesting that Gerry is getting consideration after only 2 years as an assistant.