SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard a whinier fan base than Louisville's.

I'll admit I had no idea why posters were so excited about Grant but I see it now. He's a star in the making.

Edited by inkman

Awesome game. I guess you could blame the Bills sucking (and Cuse being really good lately as they've been favored in most games) but the MCW steal/dunk was the first "oh s**t yes" moment I've had as a sports fan in a long time. Was just content to be in the game & never really felt like we were actually winning the thing before then.

I have been down on MCW with his turnovers and hesitation to just take his shot or take it to the basket, he looked bad and scared in the first half. The 2nd he was great on both ends great finish. I hope this will give him some confidence going forward. They showed toughness in that game and these young guys are getting these minutes.

I have been down on MCW with his turnovers and hesitation to just take his shot or take it to the basket, he looked bad and scared in the first half. The 2nd he was great on both ends great finish. I hope this will give him some confidence going forward. They showed toughness in that game and these young guys are getting these minutes.

I don't know if you noticed, but JB had Triche running the offense for much of the 2nd half. MCW was playing off ball running of screens and such. I thought it was a brilliant coaching move by Boeheim. It took the pressure off of MCW, and allowed him to just play. I feel that part of MCW's problems this season have been because he feels that he has to do EVERYTHING.

Great win on the road.

I've never heard a whinier fan base than Louisville's.

fan base and coaching staff. Pitino basically blamed the refs for the loss. Refs really let both teams played, which benefited Louisville way more-- yet they use that as the reason they lost.

If I am a lville fan, I would be worrying more about Siva and how he chokes at the biggest moments than the refs.

Siva had one good game against Syracuse...otherwise he has looked reckless and out of control

fan base and coaching staff. Pitino basically blamed the refs for the loss. Refs really let both teams played, which benefited Louisville way more-- yet they use that as the reason they lost.

If I am a lville fan, I would be worrying more about Siva and how he chokes at the biggest moments than the refs.

Ugly win today versus Cincinnati, but I'll take it. I think Cinci is much better than most people think, and pulling out a tough win 2 days after beating Louisville in an emotionally charged game is positive IMO. Another good game for Brandon Triche, MCW makes up for reckless play by making some big plays down the stretch, and Jerami Grant continues to impress me. I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting for Southy to come back.

What a great win...like u said...under 48 hours after an emotional beat down of #1...to come back another top 20 team....mcw injured and still throwing it down like he did...I lived the mcw, triche cooney lineup jimmy b played in the second half....only them in the way is Shaka's Rams!!! SU V. VCU BABY!!!!

Great win. Cincy is a tough matchup for us every year. Their 3- guard offense is a zone killer.

btw, cooney has got to be the worst "sharp shooter." if he gave us any consistency from outside, we'd eat these zones alive.

I agree completely with both of these statements. I came here to mention that even though Cincy always plays Cuse tough and the emotions were probably empty, SU still pulled through.

Cooney still looks like the game is to big for him. Grant on the other hand is an exceptional freshman. I have done a 180 on this team. I think they look like a contender now. The things I have noticed that lead me to that conclusion (disagree if you will) are;

Triche is exactly what a senior guard should be - the leader and one that keeps everyone level headed. He is calm cool and collected, that aloofness that was worrisome has morphed into ice water in his veins. Kind of reminds me of Manny Ramirez. Just goes about his business wether there are 40 minutes or 4 seconds left. He also is the go to player in big games/situations. Put the ball in his hand and he'll make the pass or shot.

MCW is excellent off the ball. He struggled a bit against Louisville and needed to find his place. Against Cincy he made a huge 3 and is starting to round into shape. It's fun to watch his potential transform into excellence.

Jerami Grant. Somehow I missed this guy and had no idea who he was until he was subbed in during an early season game. He has done nothing but impress and is the single reason Southerland's absence hasn't been felt.

Strong guard play is the key to March success. I heard an interesting stat yesterday and have no idea what to make of it. SU leads the country in second chance points. This stat is mind boggling because they struggle to rebound the basketball. This stat would seem to make up for that though.

i don't want to sound like a broken record, but Keita who once was close to a liability(not due to lack of effort and heart) has turned into a beast. He still has one more year, correct? a few more pounds of muscle and he is going to be a MAJOR factor as a senior...

I agree completely with both of these statements. I came here to mention that even though Cincy always plays Cuse tough and the emotions were probably empty, SU still pulled through.

Cooney still looks like the game is to big for him. Grant on the other hand is an exceptional freshman. I have done a 180 on this team. I think they look like a contender now. The things I have noticed that lead me to that conclusion (disagree if you will) are;

Triche is exactly what a senior guard should be - the leader and one that keeps everyone level headed. He is calm cool and collected, that aloofness that was worrisome has morphed into ice water in his veins. Kind of reminds me of Manny Ramirez. Just goes about his business wether there are 40 minutes or 4 seconds left. He also is the go to player in big games/situations. Put the ball in his hand and he'll make the pass or shot.

MCW is excellent off the ball. He struggled a bit against Louisville and needed to find his place. Against Cincy he made a huge 3 and is starting to round into shape. It's fun to watch his potential transform into excellence.

Jerami Grant. Somehow I missed this guy and had no idea who he was until he was subbed in during an early season game. He has done nothing but impress and is the single reason Southerland's absence hasn't been felt.

Strong guard play is the key to March success. I heard an interesting stat yesterday and have no idea what to make of it. SU leads the country in second chance points. This stat is mind boggling because they struggle to rebound the basketball. This stat would seem to make up for that though.

I'm actually surprised JB doesn't make more offense/defense subs with Christmas/Keita at the end of these games. But I guess it's worked out ok with mostly Keita.

And yah Triche was quietly $. Made two mid-range shots & found Grant for a dunk on 3 straight possessions at about the 5min mark. They needed to score on every one of those possessions to really stay in the game.

I'd still like to see some offense out of Christmas (don't think it's ever gonna happen with Coleman this year), although I guess Grant looks capable enough to be a 3rd or 4th scorer.

I have to admit Grant's play gives credence to the crowd that always gripes about JB's unwillingness to play deep. Would we really have lost the Providence game as he claims if Grant took some of Southerland's 38 minutes? Seems hard to believe.

1) Supposedly, Grant--only a few weeks ago--couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He has worked like crazy with Autry to develop a shot. Now the guy is a legit offensive weapon. Lot of guts also taking that last shot--which I thought was a good take, albeit a miss.

2) Totally concur on Triche. You could see him just will that team to a win. What once was the inconsistent, disappearing Triche, is now the steady senior.

If we can beat Louisville away and then follow it up with a nice win against Cincy, this team--with all its flaws and missing JS-- can still beat anyone. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

1) Supposedly, Grant--only a few weeks ago--couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He has worked like crazy with Autry to develop a shot. Now the guy is a legit offensive weapon. Lot of guts also taking that last shot--which I thought was a good take, albeit a miss.

2) Totally concur on Triche. You could see him just will that team to a win. What once was the inconsistent, disappearing Triche, is now the steady senior.

If we can beat Louisville away and then follow it up with a nice win against Cincy, this team--with all its flaws and missing JS-- can still beat anyone. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

I've been saying for a while now that Grant reminds me a lot of Hak Warrick. Once he really gets his game under control, I suspect that we will be seeing some highlight reel dunks from him. I love the way he gets up for rebounds too...seems like he gets 2-3 feet above the rim sometimes. He is going to be a scary, scary player for opposing teams to defend. Especially if he develops an outside shot. Hey..if they can teach Kueth Duany to hit 3 pointers, they definitely can coach up Grant. Love this kid.

I've been saying for a while now that Grant reminds me a lot of Hak Warrick. Once he really gets his game under control, I suspect that we will be seeing some highlight reel dunks from him. I love the way he gets up for rebounds too...seems like he gets 2-3 feet above the rim sometimes. He is going to be a scary, scary player for opposing teams to defend. Especially if he develops an outside shot. Hey..if they can teach Kueth Duany to hit 3 pointers, they definitely can coach up Grant. Love this kid.

He does remind me of Hak as well, but I think he could be much, much better. We'll probably get to enjoy him one more year...