If Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey drafted a franchise QB in the 1st round

Who would it have been? Lets pretend Buddy Nix said we NEED to get a QB in the 1st round over everything, even if we arent sold on him. Which QB would they have drafted?

I was just looking and IMO I think Jimmy Clausen or Blaine Gabbert would have been our franchise QB. WHenever you think bad thoughts about Fitzpatrick, just remember the alternative was Clausen or Gabbert!

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think the big one that sticks out was Dalton, or maybe Kaepernick, when they drafted Aaron Williams. At the time I wanted nothing to do with either though.

Well its convient to look at the 4th or 5th rated QB in a draft that has had success and say we should have drafted him. You have to look at it as if your trying to solve your franchise QB problem. No one expected Dalton to even play as a rookie, he did and played well.

As a Bills fan I really dont want them to wait until the 2nd round to solve their franchise QB problem. So we are looking at the top QB's in each draft, the Clausen's, Tebows, Lockers, and Gabbert's. Christian Ponder would have been interesting, I heard Buddy Nix say Ponder is the most ready QB in the draft that year. Maybe thats the guy they pull the trigger on, but still, most had him as a 2nd rounder.

The developmental QB seems to be what many talk about, but who cares about that guy. We need a Jim Kelly type, not someone we draft in the mid rounds.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

No one really sticks on in the 1st round. But there are plenty of guys in rounds 2-5 that had a lot of upside. I am not asking them to draft tom Brady (though that would be nice) but draft someone better than Fitz. Fitz cannot be better than all those guys. Any improvement at the qb position would make a huge difference.

Fitz isn't the only problem on this team of course. But talent wise, he is one of the main weak links

I can't really blame them for not drafting a QB in the first round slot, but they should've tried to draft one in rounds 2-5 at some point in the last 3 years. The problem is, is that they had soo many area's to cover. Essentially every single position had to be updated and quality depth had to be drafted. Unfortunately that didn't happen

I thought for sure they'd draft Ponder and maybe Dalton. I was also hoping for Mallett but knew Nix and Gailey weren't high on him for some reason. Kaepernick was not someone i really wanted at the time but looks pretty good now. Ponder ended up going much higher to Minny than predicted so he was off the table pretty quickly.

I can't really blame them for not drafting a QB in the first round slot, but they should've tried to draft one in rounds 2-5 at some point in the last 3 years. The problem is, is that they had soo many area's to cover. Essentially every single position had to be updated and quality depth had to be drafted. Unfortunately that didn't happen

I honestly dont think they should have drafted one after the 1st round. I dont know what that really accomplishes. Especially in the 2nd round. I know right now we could think of some nice 2nd round picks besides Troup and Williams, but that guy should be a [retty good starter for you. So IMO it would be a waste, and 2nd-5th round QB's are for teams with a secure QB but looking to develop a guy down the road. The Bills are still looking for a #1 guy. We all know any QB they draft the fans will want thrown in now, no matter what round they are taken in.

Who would it have been? Lets pretend Buddy Nix said we NEED to get a QB in the 1st round over everything, even if we arent sold on him. Which QB would they have drafted?

I was just looking and IMO I think Jimmy Clausen or Blaine Gabbert would have been our franchise QB. WHenever you think bad thoughts about Fitzpatrick, just remember the alternative was Clausen or Gabbert!

It should have been Mallet! We could have had him in the 2nd and took A. Williams...but then we had another shot at him in the 3rd and passing there was a colossal mistake! WAY too much talent and value to pass on him there.

heck, they didn't even need to use a 1st round pick......

let's just look at the 2011 draft....

pick #34 Aaron Williams, pick #35 Andy Dalton, pick#36 Colon Kaepernick, pick #68 Kelvin Sheppard, #74 Ryan Mallett.

Normally when your drafting a franchise QB you draft one with your 1st pick. Although Bills fans dont like those prospects so they are focusing on the QB's rated after those guys. Its also just not realistic to call any of those QB's franchise QB's IMO. At least not the type of QB that turns the franchise around.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think the big one that sticks out was Dalton, or maybe Kaepernick, when they drafted Aaron Williams. At the time I wanted nothing to do with either though.

I liked Kaepernick but what has he proven? I guess it would have been nice to see what Gailey could do with him however. And I liked Dalton, but honestly, I thought his upside was very limited. He's a solid young QB but he benefits greatly from playing with a top5 wr.

This is where it becomes tricky. We need a legit talent at QB. But if you force the issue and draft a guy for the sake of drafting a guy, you get JP Losman. I just pray they get the guy they want and not just draft a guy like Landry Jones for the sake of having a guy.

I do not think any QB they could have drafted in the first round this year (or in fact in the first round the last couple of years) would have succedded in helping us reach what really has been the realistic goal for this team, which is simply making the playoffs.

The paradox for us is that there simply has not been a QB with the talent necessary to lead a bad team to the playoffs the last few years without significant leadership and help. It is virtually a certainty that any QB we drafted would simply have been unsuccessful with the team around which we had, would have likely been run out of town when his team failed to produce (particularly after he was declared a savoir and unreasonable expectatioons would have been declared for him by the ;local media and fans looking for the next Jim Kelly, and given the poor teaching skills we have had here for years.

My sense is that there is no QB we could have drafted the last several years in the 1st (or even worse if we gave up what we would had tp govem up to trade to move up to get an RGIII, Luck, or Cam Newton) to get an it is hoped to be a franchise QB with a 1st round pick.

The same is likely true for a couple of years as even though this tea, is now stronger and a QB MIGHT be the missing piece, it is c;lear from the last couple of games that this team is still one or more likely two players away from being as good as the Steelers were or as good as NYG was when rookie QBs led them to SB victories.

Even if we draft a franchise QB with a first we are still likely a year or more likely 2 away from this rookie QB being able to lead this team to even simply make the playoffs.

I liked Kaepernick but what has he proven? I guess it would have been nice to see what Gailey could do with him however. And I liked Dalton, but honestly, I thought his upside was very limited. He's a solid young QB but he benefits greatly from playing with a top5 wr.

This is where it becomes tricky. We need a legit talent at QB. But if you force the issue and draft a guy for the sake of drafting a guy, you get JP Losman. I just pray they get the guy they want and not just draft a guy like Landry Jones for the sake of having a guy.

I also think Dalton was helped out by a great defense. I dont think the Benglas will be very good this year, in fact i think Buffalo finishes with a better record.

I also think Dalton was helped out by a great defense. I dont think the Benglas will be very good this year, in fact i think Buffalo finishes with a better record.

I will say he is better than I thought. It looks even worse than the Jags passed on him for Gabbert with a top 10 pick. I'd sell a nut for Geno Smith. Unfortunately, Buffalo never hits rock bottom at the right times. It makes me sick that Indy gets to draft Manning and then follow it up with Luck. There is zero skill in that. Pardon the pun, but it is flat out luck. When do the Bills get to get lucky?

I will say he is better than I thought. It looks even worse than the Jags passed on him for Gabbert with a top 10 pick. I'd sell a nut for Geno Smith. Unfortunately, Buffalo never hits rock bottom at the right times. It makes me sick that Indy gets to draft Manning and then follow it up with Luck. There is zero skill in that. Pardon the pun, but it is flat out luck. When do the Bills get to get lucky?

If Luck comes out in 2011 like everyone thought he would Cam Newton jersey's are all over Ralph Wilson stadium. Imagine Cam Newton in this Gailey offense. Thats the life of a Bills fan IMO.

Don't care if they had too many areas to cover. Quarterback is the #1 position on a football team. Throwing the chips in on a career backup is not smart management. Gailey's love of coddling a mediocre at best 8 year vet is his downfall. Nix allowing that to happen should take the rest of the blame. Promote Whaley, get a competent coaching staff with NFL cred, and let's go get a quarterback.

Don't these idiots learn anything from the hoody? Brady goes down tomorrow I'll guess mallett comes in and wins. Gailey's team is so pathetic he won't even put thigpen in when his quarterback is missing everything past 8 yards. That is a sign of coaching incompetence.

If Luck comes out in 2011 like everyone thought he would Cam Newton jersey's are all over Ralph Wilson stadium. Imagine Cam Newton in this Gailey offense. Thats the life of a Bills fan IMO.

As much as we want to overanalyze the draft and FA, the majority of things are luck. Brady in the 6th, the Colts drafting 2 once in a lifetime QBs twice about 10 years a part, the Steelers picking Big Ben one pick ahead of us, Trent Green getting hurt opening the door for Kurt Warner, etc.

We simply don't have any luck. And it freaking sucks.