College Linebacker watch...little help here??

We have pretty much resolved ourselves with the fact that we need help at the QB position...but what about linebackers? I have watched alot of the top tier talent at QB this year (Geno, Barkley, Murray, Bray), but do you guys have any other guys to key in on at the Linebacker position? Teo at ND and Thomas at Stanford are popular choices, but are there real mean SOB's out there with a good record of tackling the runner and ability to cover TE's??? Some of you guys that watch alot of college ball probably have a few LB's in mind.

Teach me something because I'm lost when it comes to linebackers to look for in College.

Mantai Te'o as you mentioned. The guy is always around the ball. Whether its 10 yards down field on a pass play or at teh line of scrimmage stuffing a run to behind the line getting after the QB.

Te'o looks like a complete player.

Yes, the kid is a machine... but I guess my thought is we will draft the best QB available at our spot in 2013...so Teo will be off the board by the time we get to the 2nd round. Wondering if there is a Teo clone out there we can get in the 2nd that has some of those same attributes.

Other linebackers in the elite class: LSU's Barkevious Mingo, Georgia's Jarvis Jones, Stanford's Shane Skov, Texas A&M's Sean Porter, Florida State's Brandon Jenkins, Alabama's Nico Johnson, North Carolina's Kevin Reddick, Penn State's Gerald Hodges, and Kansas State's Arthur Brown.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7b04e/article/barkevious-mingo-manti-teo-highlight-top-college-linebackers

Other linebackers in the elite class: LSU's Barkevious Mingo, Georgia's Jarvis Jones, Stanford's Shane Skov, Texas A&M's Sean Porter, Florida State's Brandon Jenkins, Alabama's Nico Johnson, North Carolina's Kevin Reddick, Penn State's Gerald Hodges, and Kansas State's Arthur Brown.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ege-linebackers

I like Stanfords Chase Thomas as well.

Trade who for who?? That is always the problem.

Also, if you wait for free agency this summer, do you seriously think the Bills will go out and spend big bucks on a premiere LB while looking squarely in the eyes of the elephant in the room wearing #94.

Getting a rookie in the draft is our best option for a blood thirsty, fast, smart LB...my only question is: if the FO is thinking about a QB (and most of us believe that will occur next year), what other LB's are available as a second rounder.

If the Bills need linebackers then work a trade.

Tired of planning for next season

The interesting question is to what extent this thinking also appliwes to the QB position. My sense is that unless your team is at about the level that Pitts was when they completed the puzzle by drtafting Ben Roesthenberger (sp?) AND you correctly assess the QB's strengths and weaknesses AND also train him properly (neither of which are strengths demonstrated by the Bills under Mr. Ralph's leadership) then a plan to draft a franchise QB (even one with the sillsets of Cam Newton or Luck) would seem to be a multi-year strategy to simply reach the playoffs at best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7b04e/article/barkevious-mingo-manti-teo-highlight-top-college-linebackers

Isn't the 6-3, 260 Brandon Jenkins more of a DE - particularly in a 4-3? I am pretty sure he was lining up on the LOS before he got hurt for the season. Btw, he's out for the season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377894/michael-mauti

This guy is a beast. May be available in round 2-4 given injury history. Has won several Big Ten Defensive player of the year awards, and national player of the year awards so far this year. Called out Ill. for poaching PSU players, then had a monster game against them. Good player, vocal leader. Something this D needs. (and no, I'm not a PSU fan)

How about Jelani Jenkins from Florida? Could play weakside LB in the future and possibly fill in as a nickel LB.

Also, we should look at Matt Elam from Florida to take over at SS. He can fill in run support and cover those TEs.

If the QBs are gone by the time we pick in Round 1, do any of the LBs compare to a guy like Patrick Willis when he was coming out of college?

Willis went one pick in front of us. Trade up? No way, that's why we blow. We only trade up for epic busts.

What it could have been. Of course his rookie contract is over so he would have been gone by now.

Te'o should grade out in the same range as Kuetchly, only with better coverage skills. If he's available when we pick, we shouldn't hesitate. He's the premier player at a position of great need, is a firely and vocal inspirational leader, and should grade out close to BPA when we pick. He'll represent much better value than reach for a second tier QB, which we should take either at the beginning of round 2 or by trading back into the second half of the 1'st round.

Te'o should grade out in the same range as Kuetchly, only with better coverage skills. If he's available when we pick, we shouldn't hesitate. He's the premier player at a position of great need, is a firely and vocal inspirational leader, and should grade out close to BPA when we pick. He'll represent much better value than reach for a second tier QB, which we should take either at the beginning of round 2 or by trading back into the second half of the 1'st round.

couldn't agree more. PREACH BROTHER, PREACH

I agree that it is early to be talking about next years draft, but while we are on the topic i wanted to remind everyone of this stud at linebacker. I am not denying the blatant fact that qb is by far our biggest need and should most certainly be used with our first round draft pick. However, our second biggest need is arguably linebacker. Te'o is 6'2 255 lbs , senior. Excellent at finishing tackles and is the heart of the Notre Dame defense. This kid is strong, tenacious, and fundamentally sound. He will be a difference maker at the next level.

I think we're all in agreement Finkle...yes, if Te'o is available in Round 2 certainly...but chances are he won't ...so hence, what other "similar" LB's are possible draftees that our coaches can F&%#@ up.

Edited by BringBackFergy