4 Steps to Salvage the Season

If I were Chan I would:

1. Fire Wanny. We all know how bad the D is, but is it all Wanny's fault? Well, think of all the bad Bills teams over the years. None gave up as many yards in a game as we did against SF. Even in the Montana/Young/Rice/Roger Craig years, the 49ers never had that many yards. Not since the 1950 New York Yankees football team has a NFL club given up 550+ yards in consecutive games. We've allowed 15 points per quarter for the past 6 quarters - that's on pace for 60 points per game. Wanny's performance isn't just bad, it's historically bad. It's epic bad. If we don't fire Wanny, Chan is effectively telling everyone in the organization that there's no accountability and horrible performance is tolerable.

2. Promote Bob Sanders to interim DC. Sanders had ups and downs in his last stint as a DC but his downs were never this darkly extreme. It would be hard for an outsider to come in as DC in midseason. They wouldn't know the schemes, terminology or players and wouldn't be able to teach a new system overnight. Really, what outsider would want the job/title under these dire conditions with such minimal chance for success? Sanders is the only viable choice.

3. Hire the best unemployeed defensive mind(s) out there to assist Sanders. Sign this person to a 2 year contract with a good salary and the possibility that they become the DC next year. This person would sit in the box, diagnosing X's and O's and familiarizing himself with the team while communicating with Sanders via headset. Sanders would be on the sideline providing leadership and coaching to his subordinate coaches and players.

4. Instruct Sanders and the defensive coaching staff to attack. As an offensive HC, I wouldn't micromanage the defensive coaching staff but I would be very clear that I want my defense to be tough, aggressive, and sound in the fundamentals. I would observe the defensive practices and demand these things from everyone everyday and demote anyone who didn't deliver.

These four steps wouldn't solve all our problems, but they would go a long way.

If I were Chan I would:

1. Fire Wanny. We all know how bad the D is, but is it all Wanny's fault? Well, think of all the bad Bills teams over the years. None gave up as many yards in a game as we did against SF. Even in the Montana/Young/Rice/Roger Craig years, the 49ers never had that many yards. Not since the 1950 New York Yankees football team has a NFL club given up 550+ yards in consecutive games. We've allowed 15 points per quarter for the past 6 quarters - that's on pace for 60 points per game. Wanny's performance isn't just bad, it's historically bad. It's epic bad. If we don't fire Wanny, Chan is effectively telling everyone in the organization that there's no accountability and horrible performance is tolerable.

2. Promote Bob Sanders to interim DC. Sanders had ups and downs in his last stint as a DC but his downs were never this darkly extreme. It would be hard for an outsider to come in as DC in midseason. They wouldn't know the schemes, terminology or players and wouldn't be able to teach a new system overnight. Really, what outsider would want the job/title under these dire conditions with such minimal chance for success? Sanders is the only viable choice.

3. Hire the best unemployeed defensive mind(s) out there to assist Sanders. Sign this person to a 2 year contract with a good salary and the possibility that they become the DC next year. This person would sit in the box, diagnosing X's and O's and familiarizing himself with the team while communicating with Sanders via headset. Sanders would be on the sideline providing leadership and coaching to his subordinate coaches and players.

4. Instruct Sanders and the defensive coaching staff to attack. As an offensive HC, I wouldn't micromanage the defensive coaching staff but I would be very clear that I want my defense to be tough, aggressive, and sound in the fundamentals. I would observe the defensive practices and demand these things from everyone everyday and demote anyone who didn't deliver.

These four steps wouldn't solve all our problems, but they would go a long way.

You forgot:

Cut Fitz. Start Travaris Jackson. Cut Mario Williams. Cut Scott Chandler. Start Naaman Roosevelt. And don't do anything to salvage the season, so we can draft Gino and destroy his talent next season.

You forgot:

Cut Fitz. Start Travaris Jackson. Cut Mario Williams. Cut Scott Chandler. Start Naaman Roosevelt. And don't do anything to salvage the season, so we can draft Gino and destroy his talent next season.

You forgot too add fred jackson who apparently can no longer play based on 6 carry's?

My keys to saving the season:

Lose to:

AZ

TN

Jax

Rams

Seattle

and swept by miami

Then pick the freakin' qb position once and for all. I think this team has lost all respect for Fitz and they are too soft to say it. Did you hear Stevie today when asked if he felt too shy to call anyone out? He said yes, everyone is. THAT is a major problem. There is no accountability on coaches or players in this loser organization...

You forgot too add fred jackson who apparently can no longer play based on 6 carry's?

Sorry, I thought I had Fred in there.

We should cut Spiller, too, because if you take away all his good plays, he only has bad plays, thus he sucks.

You forgot:

I haven't really thought through how to fix the offense but I think most of the work needs to be done after the season signing and drafting better players. We're pretty much stuck with what we have. In any case, the O isn't nearly as pathetic as the D.

Since we all know that nobody's getting fired, what would be your "real" plan?

With the rules of the new CBA, you can't work the players too hard which is exactly why we're so friggin soft. This is also the reason we're seeing so many injuries across the league. The teams can't demand accountability because the CBA won't allow for any repercussions for playing poorly, making mistakes, or just flat-out laying down. The only way you can get results is by turning to veteran players to step-up and lead.

So, if I were Chan, I would pull aside the player who is "the heart & soul of this team", namely Fred Jackson. I would empower FJ to take it upon himself to kick some sense into the rest of this team. I might even let him run a practice without coaching. I'd ask him to push the guys until they drop. The union can't file a grievance against their own now, can they? I would keep this up until things turn around.

This, my friend, is the only way things will change IMO.

I see today that Georgia Tech fired their Def. Coordinator. So, why cant we..

Even if Georgia Tech would let us, I don't think he can be fired twice...

I haven't really thought through how to fix the offense but I think most of the work needs to be done after the season signing and drafting better players. We're pretty much stuck with what we have. In any case, the O isn't nearly as pathetic as the D.

Seriously for a minute...put a good defense on the field (by which I mean: a decent scheme that doesn't put the players out of position, then add a good MLB and a CB), and as long as they play a decent ball-control game the offense will take care of itself. It won't be flashy - Fitz is never going to be a deep threat. But it can be competent, if they stop TRYING to be flashy and go with what they can actually do.

So the OPs plan is: Fire the DC, promote the next guy in line, hire an unemployed defensive coach (or two) and sign him to a 2 year contract to learn how to help the interim guy and then have the HC tell the DC to make his players play better?

This just might work...

Oh wait: fired DC (Edwards), promoted next guy (Wanny--who also fit the criteria for "unemployed defensive mind": apperently the "best" ol' Buddy could find). This all smells familiar.

So the OPs plan is: Fire the DC, promote the next guy in line, hire an unemployed defensive coach (or two) and sign him to a 2 year contract to learn how to help the interim guy and then have the HC tell the DC to make his players play better?

This just might work...

Oh wait: fired DC (Edwards), promoted next guy (Wanny--who also fit the criteria for "unemployed defensive mind": apperently the "best" ol' Buddy could find). This all smells familiar.

"But this time it's different" was implied. Duh.

lol good stuff Tom.

Weo you have a point. But i am willing to consider most of Hondo's bullets seriously after Arizona game. This should be a chance for the whole defense to restore hope. if they do not changes need to be made.

Stuck with Fitz for now and an O line cursed. again. i will have to give a a pass. Next year we have new QB. one way or another.

Chan thought it would work and that was wishful thinking. I believe he feels that VERY strongly of late.

i would hate to be this guy right now.

Edited by 3rdand12

This just might work...

I had to laugh because we did try something like this and we only got worse. But...

Thanks because this time it will be different: It won't be Edwards and Wanny. It will be Sanders (who cannot possibly be worse and might actually be better) and then someone better yet.

Who you put on your coaching staff matters as much as who you put on the field. Both players and coaches need to be held accountable. Failures this historic ought to cost somebody a job.

Even if Georgia Tech would let us, I don't think he can be fired twice...

Seriously for a minute...put a good defense on the field (by which I mean: a decent scheme that doesn't put the players out of position, then add a good MLB and a CB), and as long as they play a decent ball-control game the offense will take care of itself. It won't be flashy - Fitz is never going to be a deep threat. But it can be competent, if they stop TRYING to be flashy and go with what they can actually do.

Makes a lot of sense--and is fairly simple.However, this plan includes dumping Wanny and Chan--who do not understand these concepts...

I had to laugh because we did try something like this and we only got worse. But...

Thanks because this time it will be different: It won't be Edwards and Wanny. It will be Sanders (who cannot possibly be worse and might actually be better) and then someone better yet.

Who you put on your coaching staff matters as much as who you put on the field. Both players and coaches need to be held accountable. Failures this historic ought to cost somebody a job.

Don't thank me. I was mocking you. :rolleyes:

Don't thank me. I was mocking you. :rolleyes:

I know and it doesn't matter.

Sadly, whether we think the coaches are to blame or the players (or both), there is no quick fix. But the apparent lack of accountability really bothers me. Chan needs to send a strong message to the team.

I began my post with "If I were Chan." Maybe firing Nix and Chan are the solutions. But I decided to ignore that and look at this frpm the Head Coach perspective. And I can't see how Wanny keeps his job. I'm not knocking Wanny's resume or football IQ. But results this disastrous require strong, decisive, immediate action.

Maybe the really big solutions need to happen after the season. But right now we can fire Wanny, lose his passive/lackluster defense, and demonstrate to the players we're dead serious about winning and failure simply isn't tolerable.

.... (who cannot possibly be worse and might actually be better) and then someone better yet.

The same was said about Losman replacing Bledsoe. Levy replacing Donahoe. Williams replacing Phillips (that one really hurt). Jauron replacing Mularkey. Gailey replacing Jauron.

You know which one hasn't been tried yet? A new owner. It cannot possibly be worse, right?