Mario Williams playing with Injury?

He's in his 7th season and missed most of his 6th with an injury. He got the richet defensive contract for a D player in history from the Bills (who were they bidding against?) that he never would have gotten from Houston--who has seen their Defense soar in his 2 year absence. He has financial security. Where's his motivation?

At his position, it's not clear what he has to "settle into" in Buffalo. The expectations were justifiably high (and with many here, insanely fantastical) and instead of big plays, after 4 games we get weekly post game excuses: hands to the face from a 3rd stringer, "double teamed on most plays", and now some wrist injury.

Except that 2 of those excuses MW never made. Yes after week 1 he complained about hands to the face. He hasn't said anything excuse wise since. The double team, was something the media brought up and evaluated. And again, not once in the article did he use his injury as an excuse.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's in his 7th season and missed most of his 6th with an injury. He got the richet defensive contract for a D player in history from the Bills (who were they bidding against?) that he never would have gotten from Houston--who has seen their Defense soar in his 2 year absence. He has financial security. Where's his motivation?

At his position, it's not clear what he has to "settle into" in Buffalo. The expectations were justifiably high (and with many here, insanely fantastical) and instead of big plays, after 4 games we get weekly post game excuses: hands to the face from a 3rd stringer, "double teamed on most plays", and now some wrist injury.

He's coming off a VERY rich contract, so it's not his first taste of money. He might've lost his hunger but it seems less likely as a former #1 pick that actually lived up to the hype.

And the wrist injury was known a month ago. An interviewer asked him about how it was coming this week and he basically said "slower than I hoped for but no excuses"

Last up, anyone remotely familiar with Houston knows the collapse was in the secondary. Watch some 2010(?) game tape. The year before adding wade, the top free agent corner, safety help etc. wrs were running wiiiiide open down field. I'd never seen play so bad from the back 4. The front 7 wasn't bad. Adding the couple pieces on the back helped immensely.

I don't care what he's done in the past. If he does have an injured wrist I can give him a slight break on performance but it does not change the fact that he has a one dimensional attack. I need to see more and I don't think you or anyone else can fault me for feeling this way. I would also like to add that I will not just put the blame on Mario. This whole team needs to step up and be accountable. Missed tackles and poor execution will not get this franchise to the next level. I believe we have many problems in both coaching and talent. When will these jack legs stop with the excuses and finally care about being the best at what they do. Always pretenders, never contenders.

So you think he was taken #1, played great in a 43 and then at olb in a 34 then given the rep as the #1 player available because he was totally one dimensional. And you've decided this based on 4 games and a refusal to look at the 6 strong years before those 4 games?

Noted. If only there were ways you could see more of his skills.

Edited by NoSaint

He's coming off a VERY rich contract, so it's not his first taste of money. He might've lost his hunger but it seems less likely as a former #1 pick that actually lived up to the hype.

And the wrist injury was known a month ago. An interviewer asked him about how it was coming this week and he basically said "slower than I hoped for but no excuses"

Last up, anyone remotely familiar with Houston knows the collapse was in the secondary. Watch some 2010(?) game tape. The year before adding wade, the top free agent corner, safety help etc. wrs were running wiiiiide open down field. I'd never seen play so bad from the back 4. The front 7 wasn't bad. Adding the couple pieces on the back helped immensely.

So you think he was taken #1, played great in a 43 and then at olb in a 34 then given the rep as the #1 player available because he was totally one dimensional. And you've decided this based on 4 games and a refusal to look at the 6 strong years before those 4 games?

Noted. If only there were ways you could see more of his skills.

Who cares what he did for the Texans, he's not doing it now and he is not even showing a flash of it. There are plenty of players who had great runs on previous teams only to disappear into the sunset. You can hang on to the past if you want but he needs to show me more and yes even through only 4 games. Look i will be his biggest supporter if he can get it together and earn his paycheck but until he does I have a 100 million reasons not to give a rat's ass about this guy. Btw why are you so hell bent on defending this guy when he hasn't deserved your effort?

Who cares what he did for the Texans, he's not doing it now and he is not even showing a flash of it. There are plenty of players who had great runs on previous teams only to disappear into the sunset. You can hang on to the past if you want but he needs to show me more and yes even through only 4 games. Look i will be his biggest supporter if he can get it together and earn his paycheck but until he does I have a 100 million reasons not to give a rat's ass about this guy. Btw why are you so hell bent on defending this guy when he hasn't deserved your effort?

yes, but your argument is he doesnt have any more moves. do you think he forgot them? whether they are effective right now may be a different story but i think that its hard to assume that he suddenly doesnt have anything else. and you can look at the last 10 years of high level play to see what else he can do.

I dont think hes just loafing at this point (but admit im not in practice, and around the facilities), so I do believe odds are over the long haul we will see that player. and no, that player will not be bruce smith. 4 games is a really small sample size. thats all im saying.

Edited by NoSaint

yes, but your argument is he doesnt have any more moves. do you think he forgot them? whether they are effective right now may be a different story but i think that its hard to assume that he suddenly doesnt have anything else. and you can look at the last 10 years of high level play to see what else he can do.

I dont think hes just loafing at this point (but admit im not in practice, and around the facilities), so I do believe odds are over the long haul we will see that player. and no, that player will not be bruce smith. 4 games is a really small sample size. thats all im saying.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree. I hope I'm wrong.

Buddy Nix said it best

"The guy is a great player, the money he got he's never going to live up to that. Nobody can and you knew that when you did it that it was going to be under the microscope and criticized at every turn. He realizes that and wants to play better and we expect him to. Fans and media have a unique position, that if you sign a guy, you overpaid and he's not worth it and if you don't sign him you're cheap. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't."

For years its been Ralph is cheap. Now its the Bills overpaid and he's not worth it. Hilarious.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Buddy Nix said it best

"The guy is a great player, the money he got he's never going to live up to that. Nobody can and you knew that when you did it that it was going to be under the microscope and criticized at every turn. He realizes that and wants to play better and we expect him to. Fans and media have a unique position, that if you sign a guy, you overpaid and he's not worth it and if you don't sign him you're cheap. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't."

For years its been Ralph is cheap. Now its the Bills overpaid and he's not worth it. Hilarious.

i think thats the thing - if hes always framed as 100m - theres no way he has that impact on his stat sheet every week. hed have to be bruce and hes not. He is still a very effective player over the long term and id like to believe he will continue to be.

i said earlier that if we are seeing the floor, or low point in his play right now - its not bad. its not 100m good. but its not bad DE play. i think his ceiling is much higher though and we will see a lot of that over the next few years.

theres no way he gets a sack every game for the whole contract though and i think a lot of people expected.

i wonder are all th epeople who are saying 'he is a $100 mil player, he needs to play like it' are you the same people who were saying 'sign him for whatever it costs'?

Ask yourself that before you call him out for not having 5 sacks yet.

The season is 16 games, the Bills DO have a better pass rusher over all so far then last year. So i think it is fair to see what happens by week 16 not week 5

Theres no way he gets a sack every game for the whole contract though and i think a lot of people expected.

You're Dead wrong here. Of all the optimism on boards after his signing, never did anyone put those expectations on Mario. Hell, no one expected that of Bruuuuce.

When you sign the richest defensive contract in league history it does come with expectations. Manning in Denver is at least living up to his hype and playing the game with passion. Also, most understand he at this point in his career is not the best QB out there. Still the Broncos seem to be getting what they payed for. And, the guy is coming off a major injury. His love and passion for ther game is evident. Williams ? Not so much.

Like many others I had high expectations of Williams, his highlight reel from the Texans was played to death. Funny thing is with 25% of the season over. Not a SINGLE play to date resembles his work in Houston . Against the Pats* he had zero passion and looked like a 3rd string chump. He never attempted when I focused on him, to shed a single block. I saw one inside spin move and he still was 10 yards from Brady.

Screw this "gelling" crap, the wrist, (stunningly absent from the weekly injury report.) the pectoral injury from a year ago (BFD its healed). The hands to the face mask. All of it. Why defend a guy who got to where he is by NOT having excuses. Everyone here expected dominate play from the #1 defensive free agent in this years class. Sacks I could care less but a just a little disruption against mediocre o-lines would be nice. This may be the biggest bust in the history of the team. I hope the guys proves his huge and growing list of detractors wrong. At least the team can bail at the 50 mil point.

Buddy Nix said it best

Well that is certainly a matter of perception, I think we as Bills fans should all expect a little more than what he has shown us in direct proportion to what he is being paid. There is some truth to what Buddy said but this guy has clearly played well under the value of his contract so what Buddy said really doesn't hold to much water in this particular instance.

Except that 2 of those excuses MW never made. Yes after week 1 he complained about hands to the face. He hasn't said anything excuse wise since. The double team, was something the media brought up and evaluated. And again, not once in the article did he use his injury as an excuse.

See bolded segment in NoSaint's post. He mentioned the wrist injury (could have said nothing, or it's fine-no problem) and then tells us it won't be used as an excuse though. OK......

The point reamins, they are better off without him. They don't miss him.

Buddy Nix said it best

Did Nix then go on to explain why he offered to make him the highest paid D player in history? It's ridiculous for Nix to make that comment when he's the one who offered that much money And the Ralph is cheap changed to Ralph's inept when he last wildly overpaid for (2) linemen (Dockery and Walker). Try to keep up.

This idea that the Houston Texans defense is better because Mario Williams no longer plays for them is shortsighted.

The Houston Texans defense is better because they hired Wade Phillips to implement his 34 scheme and then they drafted JJ Watt and Brooks Reed who both made HUGE impacts as rookies.

In addition, the Texans defense was already better WITH Mario Williams when he amassed 5 sacks in just 5 games in the new scheme before getting getting hurt last season. It speaks well of their depth and great play by young players that they could afford to let a good defensive talent leave via free agency.

GO BILLS!!!

This idea that the Houston Texans defense is better because Mario Williams no longer plays for them is shortsighted.

The Houston Texans defense is better because they hired Wade Phillips to implement his 34 scheme and then they drafted JJ Watt and Brooks Reed who both made HUGE impacts as rookies.

In addition, the Texans defense was already better WITH Mario Williams when he amassed 5 sacks in just 5 games in the new scheme before getting getting hurt last season. It speaks well of their depth and great play by young players that they could afford to let a good defensive talent leave via free agency.

GO BILLS!!!

I accept it's not necessarily because, but it's better without him and we so far are not much better with him.

GO BILLS!!!

They also added a ton to the secondary. They didn't just add wade, they added johnathan Joseph, and Daniel manning.

The reason that D blew, was they had one of the worst secondaries ever. In the history of the nfl. Guys were just wiiiiiide open.

he is playing with a cast on it.. have you seen him grab and throw anyone yet? Watch closely. He can't . This is no different than Kyle Williams with no burst off the line because of the bad heel. Ankle, foot and wrist/hand injuries are very bad for lineman, especially d lineman like MW who are power , not speed rushers. The guys playing with probably the worst injury he could have... if it was legs, he could still engage and throw guys, he can't really do that with this injury. We shall see. Fans need to get smart and in tune with what is going on . If this is still going on in week 8, then we have an issue. For now, he is no more ineffective that Kyle W. was last year with the bum heel. the contract and money are irrelevant.

Agreed. The only issue is a wrist injury most likely will stick around the entire season when he is practicing and playing on the line every week..that is not to say it won't improve some but I fully expect his wrist to still be bothering him to an extent by the end of the season. I also fully expect the majority of bills fans to be treating him like he is a piece of s*** because of the money.

We should all get past the Money.

Bills needed to address our weakest points and we had zero pass rush. we also had no run defense. whee!

Nix is right he will never live up to the paycheck, but thats what had to be done to show Bills were not fooling around anymore. Worked for me back then. most exciting offseason in years.

He is on the team for awhile so lets just hang on and see if Wanny can get the talent we have up to full potential.

I know some cant wait, but we look to be building for long term greatness now. we have so much youth with potential a plentycoming up.

ugh i hate admitting that. If we can stay the course. and by that i mean this whole season, we might have a team worth concern.

This year is a b**ch though to watch. growing pains are not easy and last week was a perfect example.

Edited by 3rdand12

We should all get past the Money.

Bills needed to address our weakest points and we had zero pass rush. we also had no run defense. whee!

Nix is right he will never live up to the paycheck, but thats what had to be done to show Bills were not fooling around anymore. Worked for me back then. most exciting offseason in years.

He is on the team for awhile so lets just hang on and see if Wanny can get the talent we have up to full potential.

I know some cant wait, but we look to be building for long term greatness now. we have so much youth with potential a plentycoming up.

ugh i hate admitting that. If we can stay the course. and by that i mean this whole season, we might have a team worth concern.

This year is a b**ch though to watch. growing pains are not easy and last week was a perfect example.

Agreed all around. And with a few good bounces we might end up in a playoff hunt this year still.

Can anyone give me a legitimate [as in someone who KNOWS, not guessing] source that Mario has a wrist injury? This is reminding me of the sure it's a big secret their not going to tell you, But I KNOW, I just KNOW, fitz has a busted rib and will be in HOF form next year posts..

No offense, but are you serious? He said it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the link. :wallbash: