Mario Williams playing with Injury?

Lol...how quickly we eat our own. yeah, he's sucked, but it's only been 4 games and he's coming off a torn pec.

and if you were blind to the contract - just forget about the 100m - he hasnt played poorly for an nfl player. for the people screaming cut him, bench him - yea hes not on pace for 27 sacks, but hes been playing ok ball still.

now is has he (in a ridiculously short amount of time) had some let down for 100m - yes. but if we are measuring against bruce (which seems to be everyones standard given the 100m) - im not sure theres a player in the league that wouldnt let down.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if you were blind to the contract - just forget about the 100m - he hasnt played poorly for an nfl player. for the people screaming cut him, bench him - yea hes not on pace for 27 sacks, but hes been playing ok ball still.

now is has he (in a ridiculously short amount of time) had some let down for 100m - yes. but if we are measuring against bruce (which seems to be everyones standard given the 100m) - im not sure theres a player in the league that wouldnt let down.

Forget about measuring him against Bruce - measure him against the other top DEs in today's NFL. So far this season I wouldn't consider him a top tier DE, which is what most of us were hoping for.

I'm not calling him a bust or saying his signing was a mistake, hell, we're only 4 games into this thing. But if his play doesn't improve dramatically by year's end this will be a signing the Bills will regret.

Forget about measuring him against Bruce - measure him against the other top DEs in today's NFL. So far this season I wouldn't consider him a top tier DE, which is what most of us were hoping for.

I'm not calling him a bust or saying his signing was a mistake, hell, we're only 4 games into this thing. But if his play doesn't improve dramatically by year's end this will be a signing the Bills will regret.

Well, he's signed for 6 years so if he doesn't improve dramatically by the end of this season but turns it on in his second season will it still be a signing the Bills regret?

My point is he's young and wrapped up for the prime of his career. This won't be a make or break season for him one way or the other. We can only judge him a bust or not after it plays out.

GO BILLS!!!

history shows that he should play better - unless something changed him this offseason. he has a 6 year track record that earned him a ton of respect around the league. its possible that he decided he has it made and checked out - but far more likely in my opinion is that he is in an adjustment phase and is a little banged up. give him a little time. even if after a year - ive seen plenty of people say he hasnt had an impact like peppers did in chicago but peppers only got 8 sacks in his first year on his new team. i know patience isnt a strong suit here, but patience. odds are we are seeing the floor, not the ceiling for him. if that is true, then we will still be very happy in the long term. hes not having an elite impact but hes not playing like a schlub either.

Edited by NoSaint

Yes. Can't he put a cast on it. I mean if his boo boo is that bad.

he is playing with a cast on it.. have you seen him grab and throw anyone yet? Watch closely. He can't . This is no different than Kyle Williams with no burst off the line because of the bad heel. Ankle, foot and wrist/hand injuries are very bad for lineman, especially d lineman like MW who are power , not speed rushers. The guys playing with probably the worst injury he could have... if it was legs, he could still engage and throw guys, he can't really do that with this injury. We shall see. Fans need to get smart and in tune with what is going on . If this is still going on in week 8, then we have an issue. For now, he is no more ineffective that Kyle W. was last year with the bum heel. the contract and money are irrelevant.

he is playing with a cast on it.. have you seen him grab and throw anyone yet? Watch closely. He can't . This is no different than Kyle Williams with no burst off the line because of the bad heel. Ankle, foot and wrist/hand injuries are very bad for lineman, especially d lineman like MW who are power , not speed rushers. The guys playing with probably the worst injury he could have... if it was legs, he could still engage and throw guys, he can't really do that with this injury. We shall see. Fans need to get smart and in tune with what is going on . If this is still going on in week 8, then we have an issue. For now, he is no more ineffective that Kyle W. was last year with the bum heel. the contract and money are irrelevant.

Then they should sit his ass down and play someone else - not like they would miss his impact. The contract and money are very relevant - he gets paid big bucks to perform and make a difference on this team. Fans are smart - this guy is a bust and will never do anything big for Buffalo. If he truly is "injured" why isn't he on the weekly injury report??? Rodney Harrison was 100% on the mark when he slammed him.

I don't think this is rocket science... when you see an elite DE or a DE who is making the kind of money that Mario is making you use your FULL arsenal at the point of attack. Mario is extremely predictable when he matches up against a tackle or guard. He uses a straight ahead bull rush attack mode on nearly every play. I have paid very close attention to his play both live (50 yard line, 18 rows up) as well as on TV and I do not see the get after the QB mindset that make players like Clay Mathews or Julius Peppers the dominant disruptive players they are. Mario needs to spin... in, out and use creative movements to get past the line, he simply continues to lock up with the tackle, most often time getting manhandled. I've seen him come off the line slow as well. I am really starting to think this guy might actually be a bust in terms of how much we paid him. I hope all of this criticism (although apparently he doesn't watch TV or listen to critics) lights a fire under this guys ass... but we'll see. After all the high hopes I had for this team in this now 3rd year of the Nix/Chan era I'm starting to wonder how close we are. To hear Stevie call this a team of superstars is ridiculous, no Stevie, year 1, you were 4-12, year 2-you are 6-10 and now you got creamed by a 2-2 Jets team, beat a 1-3 chiefs team, beat an 0-4 Browns team and got lit up by the Pats last week.... Superstars??? Start acting like it. Very tired of this UNDERACHIEVING Bills organization. I am DYING to see a product like we had from 88-94. The frustration has me pissed to no end. I want this organization to have a mindset of destruction and to have players with talent and killer instinct... PATHETIC

I don't think this is rocket science... when you see an elite DE or a DE who is making the kind of money that Mario is making you use your FULL arsenal at the point of attack. Mario is extremely predictable when he matches up against a tackle or guard. He uses a straight ahead bull rush attack mode on nearly every play. I have paid very close attention to his play both live (50 yard line, 18 rows up) as well as on TV and I do not see the get after the QB mindset that make players like Clay Mathews or Julius Peppers the dominant disruptive players they are. Mario needs to spin... in, out and use creative movements to get past the line, he simply continues to lock up with the tackle, most often time getting manhandled. I've seen him come off the line slow as well. I am really starting to think this guy might actually be a bust in terms of how much we paid him. I hope all of this criticism (although apparently he doesn't watch TV or listen to critics) lights a fire under this guys ass... but we'll see. After all the high hopes I had for this team in this now 3rd year of the Nix/Chan era I'm starting to wonder how close we are. To hear Stevie call this a team of superstars is ridiculous, no Stevie, year 1, you were 4-12, year 2-you are 6-10 and now you got creamed by a 2-2 Jets team, beat a 1-3 chiefs team, beat an 0-4 Browns team and got lit up by the Pats last week.... Superstars??? Start acting like it. Very tired of this UNDERACHIEVING Bills organization. I am DYING to see a product like we had from 88-94. The frustration has me pissed to no end. I want this organization to have a mindset of destruction and to have players with talent and killer instinct... PATHETIC

Are these the only 4 games you've watched though?

This guy was good enough in college to go number one in the draft, then was good enough to get a monster second deal. He's not some one year wonder. He was successful at ncsu he was successful in Houston's 43, in Houston's 34 - there are a lot of reasons to say this isn't the end of the world.

Edited by NoSaint

I have not heard anywhere that he IS playing with a cast on his wrist. Where did you read/hear that one? Can it be seen on if I re-watch the Pats game? Or is it an ace bandage cast? What other 'stars' in the league are talking about their injuries? I mean the ones that started every game this year, not the ones on the bench. Seems a bit odd. Am I missing something?

By the way, I have a bit of carpel tunnel (seriously) and I am just not able to post like I have in the past. Sorry, somebody asked. Oh...and I have a runny nose. :flirt:

Edited by Cville Bills

This guy was good enough in college to go number one in the draft, then was good enough to get a monster second deal. He's not some one year wonder. He was successful at ncsu he was successful in Houston's 43, in Houston's 34 - there are a lot of reasons to say this isn't the end of the world.

I don't care what he's done in the past. If he does have an injured wrist I can give him a slight break on performance but it does not change the fact that he has a one dimensional attack. I need to see more and I don't think you or anyone else can fault me for feeling this way. I would also like to add that I will not just put the blame on Mario. This whole team needs to step up and be accountable. Missed tackles and poor execution will not get this franchise to the next level. I believe we have many problems in both coaching and talent. When will these jack legs stop with the excuses and finally care about being the best at what they do. Always pretenders, never contenders.

Then they should sit his ass down and play someone else - not like they would miss his impact. The contract and money are very relevant - he gets paid big bucks to perform and make a difference on this team. Fans are smart - this guy is a bust and will never do anything big for Buffalo. If he truly is "injured" why isn't he on the weekly injury report??? Rodney Harrison was 100% on the mark when he slammed him.

Every player is paid to perform and make a difference on this team. He gets paid more because he negotiated for it and the team had to pay it to get him to come to this piece of crap franchise. MW has never been a super dynamic player.. just a very good one. Does that justify $50m guaranteed? No. Did we have to pay it to get him. Yes. Does him getting it mean he is magically supposed to play 5x better than someone getting 10m guaranteed? No. Football is a team game. We had no DEs. We needed to get effective DEs to play a 4-3 and get away from the crappy tampa 2 garbage we were playing. Mario was out there, Anderson was out there. They are upgrades from what we had. So you go get them and go with em. I applaud the Bills for taking the gift $100M+ in TV money they get and doling it out for players. Mario is no hall of famer, but he is very good and a lot better than what we had. And he is young. We will see how this goes. 4 games playing hurt is no indication of what he will do.

He's in his 7th season and missed most of his 6th with an injury. He got the richet defensive contract for a D player in history from the Bills (who were they bidding against?) that he never would have gotten from Houston--who has seen their Defense soar in his 2 year absence. He has financial security. Where's his motivation?

At his position, it's not clear what he has to "settle into" in Buffalo. The expectations were justifiably high (and with many here, insanely fantastical) and instead of big plays, after 4 games we get weekly post game excuses: hands to the face from a 3rd stringer, "double teamed on most plays", and now some wrist injury.