Mario Williams - Mr. Invisible - Explain it

How Mario Williams has been completely neutralized for the first 4 games. He obviously was a monster in Houston, he has the talent and he doesnt appear to be hurt. Are they double teaming him in each game? Shouldnt that free up someone else to get to the QB? Is it the type of D that the Bills are playing, the schemes. Seriously can anyone explain why he has been basically invisible?

From what I can see Mario plays too upright, more like a LB when he meets the blocker. Watch some old clips of B. Smith coming off the ball and watch how incredibly low he kept his upper body on most plays. Once he got that shoulder past the blocker, the blocker has some very limited choices on what to do next, either grab/tackle him or let him go. Mario is too easily stood up in place and has to then try and fight or bullrush the blocker which takes too much time resulting in no pressure from his side. We should pay Mr. Smith to show up during some practices and give him some pointers. Hey couldn't hurt.

Edited by angryfan62

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor scheming or not, I just didn't see the guy trying. Bull rush? There were zero that I could see. He disrupted nothing. Can't wait for the obligatory posts that he was double and triple teamed. LOL

I've got an answer - I'm no psychic, and I don't know him personally, but my opinion is this: he comes to Buffalo, and we give him the treatment like he's the President of the United States. We bend over backwards to make sure he knows we think he's the God given answer to our defensive woes. We give him the farm, and then the fans - because we are the best in the country - support him and praise his talent, etc. Before he ever gets into pads or practices, he's given the richest contract in NFL history for a defensive player, and he's basically put on the Bills Wall of Fame.

Now, since we've done nothing to that point but make him feel like Superman, I suspect he comes to Buffalo feeling like he's already proven it, already is great, and there's NO URGENCY to make himself better. There's no need to compete. There's no need to EARN more money - it's already been given to him. He's what, 300 lbs? I'd say, he needs to work out a bit more, lose about 10 lbs, speed up, and play A TON harder. The dude insisted on playing RDE! So, he gets the lesser of the weekly tackles, and still - even against absolute no names, he's being handled!

If I were the D.C., I'd have his butt in my office and I'd be asking him to explain himself. If he's got nothing to say, and if he doesn't improve and work his tail off to EARN that 100 Million, I'd have no qualms about setting a REAL example and benching him. Let the players who want to WORK, to FIGHT, go out and play.

"Subpar Mario" - thats all he is.

- I hate to say it but Rodney Harrison was right about the guy. He already disappeared.

- Aaron Shobel was a much better pass rusher.

- Compare Mario to Bruce? HA! He isn't in the same galaxy.

Albert Hanesworth still wears the biggst bust FA crown - only because Mario seems to be in shape to play football...

How Mario Williams has been completely neutralized for the first 4 games. He obviously was a monster in Houston, he has the talent and he doesnt appear to be hurt. Are they double teaming him in each game? Shouldnt that free up someone else to get to the QB? Is it the type of D that the Bills are playing, the schemes. Seriously can anyone explain why he has been basically invisible?

Money has made him a sissy...game one he complained about being punched...today he didn't even get punched in the nose...he was running away...

Soft, cowardly, weak minded...whatever word you want to describe it...I am so glad I gave up my season tickets after 17 years....what a waste my cheering effort, my money and my love of the Bills would have been today...and so many other days....

the 70,000 fans care more than the players.... we need to stop idolizing players who do not earn it

Simple..he is a system player not a game changer like B. Smith was

Not at all. I was happy with the signing cause it showed that the Bills were finally trying to be relevant again... but I never saw him dominate or take over a game in Houston.