Spiller Fumble before the Half

cage

While that event didn't factor into the margin of victory, I felt that Gailey made an enormous strategic blunder on that drive. They were down inside the 5 and looking to run it down the Pats throat to finish the half up 21-7. Running Spiller up the gut had catastrophe written all over it. It was a spot where they should have brought Tashard Choice and not put it in the hands of the guy with the questionable shoulder. They put in Spiller in a bad situation and paid the price.

Who knows how it might have played out but If they had scored there, then 27-7 in the 3rd quarter might be a different game... poor coaching by Gailey.

Well it was just a great coaching decision. In a situation where you are running the ball up the middle with the intent to overpower the defense, choose the one running back of three available, the smallest back with a bum shoulder. That's the back you want running up the gut of the defense.

That fumble was a huge back breaker and momentum turner, it turned the game IMO.

The Bills stopped the Pats* on the first drive of the 2nd half, and then scored a TD to go up, 21-7. The fumble obviously cost the team points, but it didn't shift the momentum.

I agree. This was a lousy playcall for the personnel in the game. Spiller vs Wilfork is not a good matchup.

And if Fitz threw 3 times and we wound up with a FG, we'd all be saying why didn't we run Spiller. Everyone knows what we shouldn't have done after the fact.

Remember all the threads demanding Chan stick with the run? Pick a side.

PTR

And if Fitz threw 3 times and we wound up with a FG, we'd all be saying why didn't we run Spiller. Everyone knows what we shouldn't have done after the fact.

PTR

Did you read what he said? Sending Spiller into the middle with a bum shoulder was a poor coaching decision. I would have taken Choice or Jackson over Spiller if that's the play call.

PTR

Spiller only works on off tackle runs and draw plays. He isn't a power runner. I have no problem running the ball down there, in fact I wanted them to. My problem is the type of run not matching the personnel. Want to do a power run inside? Send McIntyre and Jackson out there, not Jones and Spiller. (I think it was Jones)

Edited by Dorkington

PTR

Not saying I'm smart enough to coach an NFL team, but I was saying it to my sons as they got inside the 10 and saw that Spiller was on the field... yeah, I'm bitter!

Very bad coaching decision. I thought a screen pass to Spiller on 2-10 was the call to make but they still made the third down conversion. After that it should have been Freddie or Choice over the left side three times in a row. The worst outcome should have been a FG.

Exactly!

Edited by cage

I wouldn't give Choice a goal line carry unless either I absolutely had to, or the game was decided. Jackson, aside from his first carry of the game, did not run the ball well

His sideline catch was great though. And, Fitz made a great throw. Fred looked a bit slow today. Like always though, he at least earns his money, and gives it his all. He'll be back to form soon.

We were simply out coached. First while having Freddy and CJ were big from an emotional standpoint, hHoice should have been the featured back today with both Freddy and CJ seeing only spot duty. The Bills should have planned on a power running game with Choice and McIntyre all day long. To air it out against the Pats and expect Fitz' arm to carry this team is a huge mistake. Wrong game plan for against the Pats, just plain stupid.

On defense Wanny should get the boot tomorrow. Not to have the defense prepared is absurd.

Stop the madness. If Spiller is supposed to be a starting caliber RB, than he sure as hell needs to be able to be in the lineup on the goal line.

Everyone in the game thread was crying about how Jackson should have had that carry. Well, what happened with FJ in the third quarter when he got hammered by the same linebacker??

PTR

Nah I was saying, "why isn't Freddie in there" the moment I saw Spiller in the game. It made no sense in that situation, even before the fumble.

I question running Spiller on that type of play into the line but the fumble had no bearing on anything in the game. Like on Fitz's INTs in the first half, NE* came away with no points, didn't do anything on their opening 2nd half possession, and we ended going ahead 21-7 anyway.

GO BILLS!!!