Team Fitz...anyone?

Virgil

I imagine some would be.

The funny thing is I agree with the Fitz detractors that he isn't the answer, and I'm ready to see the Bills make a move to try and get a better QB in here. But I'm disgusted by the play of the defense in a way that I'm not with Fitz. There has been heavy investment in the D over the last several years, and a performance like this deserves to stand and be criticized on its own. Fitz is the player I expected him to be, but I expected him to have a defense backing him up that would permit him to muddle through.

Yup. I still think the D will be OK, but WTF happened today. Kyle and Marcel sucked.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with that stance is you think that if we had an "NFL caliber" QB we would have won today. Which is false, no matter what. If we didn't fumble on the 1 we might have won today, but I haven't heard anyone talk about that. Fitzpatrick played well enough beyond unlucky breaks and a few bad throws to win us this game. and the defense lost it for us. That's a fact.

You don't think if they knew who the next Tom Brady was, they wouldn't draft him? How many QB's have we attempted to draft that everyone thought was going to be spectacular and they end up being awful? Obviously, if we could get a superstar QB we'd win more games. But it wouldn't have changed today's outcome.

Fitz is nothing more than a tease. An inconsistanet one at that.

I'm not proposing that the Bills don't aspire to find a capable QB. I'm sure they realize Fitz isn't the answer for them to be able to go head to head against Brady and win. I'm simply stating the obvious .... any AFCE team that wants to win this division has to have a QB that can perform to a high standard, on a consistent and regular basis, in order to outdual Brady. Said QB can't be a Jekyl and Hyde guy like Fitz.

Fitz is nothing more than a tease. An inconsistanet one at that.

I'm not proposing that the Bills don't aspire to find a capable QB. I'm sure they realize Fitz isn't the answer for them to be able to go head to head against Brady and win. I'm simply stating the obvious .... any AFCE team that wants to win this division has to have a QB that can perform to a high standard, on a consistent and regular basis, in order to outdual Brady. Said QB can't be a Jekyl and Hyde guy like Fitz.

Brady doesn't have too many years left. Finding a QB to outduel Brady was the plan 3 years ago.

The only problem with that stance is you think that if we had an "NFL caliber" QB we would have won today. Which is false, no matter what. If we didn't fumble on the 1 we might have won today, but I haven't heard anyone talk about that. Fitzpatrick played well enough beyond unlucky breaks and a few bad throws to win us this game. and the defense lost it for us. That's a fact.

You don't think if they knew who the next Tom Brady was, they wouldn't draft him? How many QB's have we attempted to draft that everyone thought was going to be spectacular and they end up being awful? Obviously, if we could get a superstar QB we'd win more games. But it wouldn't have changed today's outcome.

> The only problem with that stance is you think that if we had an "NFL caliber" QB we would have won today

You are confusing the issue by putting words into my mouth. I never said nor implied the above.

> Fitzpatrick played well enough beyond unlucky breaks and a few bad throws to win us this game.

It wasn't just the four INTs that he threw. (Though those hurt.) It was the wasted opportunities, like the ones stevestojan described in his post. If anything, the opportunities Fitz wastes with his inaccurate throws are an even bigger problem than the INTs.

With a franchise QB you typically don't have that problem. You know that if the OL does its share by creating a nice pocket, and the WR does his share by getting open, that the pass will almost certainly be accurately delivered. That means the offense as a whole will waste far fewer scarce, valuable opportunities.

Look at what Tom Brady did to us in the last 1.5 quarters of play. Suppose Fitz were to go against a defense playing every bit as badly as the Bills' defense did during that stretch. Do you think Fitz could rip that defense apart, the way Brady tore ours apart? I do not. Fitz could not even come close to doing what Brady did. That puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. They know that Fitz can't bail them out, the way Brady can bail out the Patriots.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than just the quarterback. But if you postpone drafting a QB until everything else about your team is perfect, you won't have the top-10 draft pick so often required to obtain a franchise QB.

If the Bills are to win the Super Bowl, they must do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB. Trade away existing players, trade away draft picks to move up in the draft, whatever. But get that franchise QB! :angry:

fitz is highly limited, but we knew that anyway. this one wasnt on him. and ive been more critical of him than anyone. but pinning it all on him is way off in this case, when your D gets gouged for a cool 250 on the ground, and your backs cough up 2 critical fumbles

You'll find that nobody in this thread has 'pinned it all on him.' But, this thread is about him...therefore he is the focus. That's what happens when people stay on topic.

fitz is highly limited, but we knew that anyway. this one wasnt on him. and ive been more critical of him than anyone. but pinning it all on him is way off in this case, when your D gets gouged for a cool 250 on the ground, and your backs cough up 2 critical fumbles

agree this was the "good fitz" today......he had a good mixture of nice plays and then the lack of arm surfaced when TJ Graham beats his man deep.... Wanndstedt should be banished from the land immediately....what a terrible idea not to change the D up a little after the 3rd straight td

This board is so predictable. An embarrassing 600+ freaking yards allowed by our defense. Allowed two 100+ yard rushers and a pair of 100+ yard receivers. Our D-line didn't get close enough to sniff Brady's expensive cologne, and Wanny apparently fell asleep in the coaches box.

And we're ragging on our quarterback.

Party on, guys!

> The only problem with that stance is you think that if we had an "NFL caliber" QB we would have won today

You are confusing the issue by putting words into my mouth. I never said nor implied the above.

> Fitzpatrick played well enough beyond unlucky breaks and a few bad throws to win us this game.

It wasn't just the four INTs that he threw. (Though those hurt.) It was the wasted opportunities, like the ones stevestojan described in his post. If anything, the opportunities Fitz wastes with his inaccurate throws are an even bigger problem than the INTs.

With a franchise QB you typically don't have that problem. You know that if the OL does its share by creating a nice pocket, and the WR does his share by getting open, that the pass will almost certainly be accurately delivered. That means the offense as a whole will waste far fewer scarce, valuable opportunities.

Look at what Tom Brady did to us in the last 1.5 quarters of play. Suppose Fitz were to go against a defense playing every bit as badly as the Bills' defense did during that stretch. Do you think Fitz could rip that defense apart, the way Brady tore ours apart? I do not. Fitz could not even come close to doing what Brady did. That puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. They know that Fitz can't bail them out, the way Brady can bail out the Patriots.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than just the quarterback. But if you postpone drafting a QB until everything else about your team is perfect, you won't have the top-10 draft pick so often required to obtain a franchise QB.

If the Bills are to win the Super Bowl, they must do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB. Trade away existing players, trade away draft picks to move up in the draft, whatever. But get that franchise QB! :angry:

The way the Bill's draft, I don't think we'll ever seen a franchise QB. There was a thread earlier this week that said 5-7 teams in the NFL have a "franchise" QB by this board's standards. I hold a different standard. I think there are so many problems with the Bill's right now, drafting a QB in 2013 will be a waste of time. It'll be a Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Colt McCoy, Kyle Orton QB and we'll have wasted another 5 years of developing. Fitz can win us games, with some help, just like Alex Smith. The Bill's need to give him that help.

Uhm, did he not give us the lead, 21-7 in the third quarter?? Why don't you talk about 45 !@#$ing points the pats put up on our great defense in 1.5 quarters.

Did we watch the same game? No running game, and we gave up about 700yds on defense and you're talking about fitz

Part of giving up 45 pts is a series of 3 and outs due to your scatter armed QB

At this point in his career, what makes you believe he can be the guy for 4 quarters, against a division rival, or to get us to the playoffs.

I have the Fitz jersey, the original belief, and the desire for him to be good. He shows glimpses, but not a complete story.

He's not the guy to get us to the next level. I think that anyone who believes otherwise is crazy, but I'm listening.

No S@#T!

He most certainly is not but there is no young QB on the roster to be the next guy so we are stuck with him for at least this year. It is too bad really, this season could be spent developing a good rookie QB.

This season and the past 12 seasons - this team has a history of not being able to develop a QB into anything.

Is there any way to re-word the topic of this thread to make it any more clear that today's game is not why I'm bailing on Fitz or do I have to keep reading about people talking about the Defense and the fumbles?

As said by a few of you, Fitz is a tease and today was actually a good day for him. But today is not enough and a perfect example of why he can't be the guy for us. No clock management, really off target throws when we needed to sustain drives, and absolutely pathetic in comparison to a qb on the field who was in the same position with team support and down 14, but handled it the complete opposite.

No, I don't want Tom Brady or a top 5 QB, but I do want a guy who isn't going to help us lose.

Is there any way to re-word the topic of this thread to make it any more clear that today's game is not why I'm bailing on Fitz or do I have to keep reading about people talking about the Defense and the fumbles?

As said by a few of you, Fitz is a tease and today was actually a good day for him. But today is not enough and a perfect example of why he can't be the guy for us. No clock management, really off target throws when we needed to sustain drives, and absolutely pathetic in comparison to a qb on the field who was in the same position with team support and down 14, but handled it the complete opposite.

No, I don't want Tom Brady or a top 5 QB, but I do want a guy who isn't going to help us lose.

A lot of people, myself included, only bring up the defense because I don't believe we lost today because of Fitzpatrick.

This board is so predictable. An embarrassing 600+ freaking yards allowed by our defense. Allowed two 100+ yard rushers and a pair of 100+ yard receivers. Our D-line didn't get close enough to sniff Brady's expensive cologne, and Wanny apparently fell asleep in the coaches box.

Party on, guys!

Amazing isn't it?

Brady was 22/36 340yds 3TDs 0 ints.

Fitz was 22/39 350yds 4TDs 4ints

Brady was considered to have an extremely good/great day and Fitz is considered to have an absolute chitty day. Really!

Again, as I have asked before what do you want from Fitz?

What if the QBs were switched since their numbers are almost identical? Fitz wins the game if he is on the Pats and Brady loses if he is on the Bills.

The defense gives up what they gave up today and all anybody wants to do is rag on the QB, Wow!

Bender, when fitz gave up his 3rd and 4th ints the pats were already at about 40 points...so were you actually watching the game or did you just happen to glance at scorecard?

Yes.... somebody finally acknowledged the fact that Fitz didn't lose us the game. His other 2 picks resulted in no points. (first half). Freddie and Spiller's turnovers hurt way more. The biggest problem is the defense . NE had 600 yds. of offense. Thats not Fitz. It's ridiculous to listen to this anymore. He's not a pro bowler for sure but he gets no credit when they win and gets blamed when the defense gives up 45 second half points.

Party on, guys!

Bills fans are so myopic that all they see is the QB! :doh:

NVM the fact that the bills had a 14 point lead and couldn't hold it because they have no clock killing power. The Bills have 2 excellent RB's and yet they gain all their yards running out of a spread in passing formations. The Bills don't have a power running game even tho they posses one of the biggest lines in the NFL

All Chan Gailey seems to know how to do is force his very average QB to try and carry the team all on his own. This is the very same crud we saw year after year from Jauron and his know nothing assistant coaches.

The Bills still aren't very good on the right side of that O line. They still don't have a viable top #2 WR. The Bills have one good TE, the Patriots have one good one and two great ones.

Good thing the Bills have used so many draft picks on the defense the last few years, so they can give up 580 yards of offense to the Patriots.

As bad as George Edwards defense was, this defense looks worse with better players!! :bag: