Fred "Two Face" Smerlas

PromoTheRobot

100% Agree.. Fred Smerlas and Tim Krumrie in the 1980's were both touted as the very best nose tackles in the league.. If Fred holds a grudge against the Bills and the city of Buffalo, we don't have to like hearing it, but lets not degrade who he was as a player..

Fred's contempt is for the ownership and organization. Not the city, the city is just collateral damage. My guess is that Fred will bury the hatchet with the new ownership group.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps because he came to Buffalo and had a hall of fame career that included 4 Super bowl appearances. Oh yeah, and now he is a champion for the city. Remember that charity he runs that raises all that money to help children...what a failure.

With Kelly it became a failure for everything he did after his career. He wanted to move to NC and get into NASCAR-fail. His ESPN career was a disaster. Bar, night club-fail. His Super Bowl appearances were huge -fail. This is want Buffalo wants helping to run this franchise after Ralph dies? Good luck.

Additionally, he was a Pro-Bowler 5 times betwen 1980 and 1988, including an All-Pro nomintaion. During that stretch no NT or DT received more accolades. As a side note, he was nominated for Hall of Fame consideration again this year.

I'll add that he was probably the hairiest Buffalo Bills player in history.

Fred's contempt is for the ownership and organization. Not the city, the city is just collateral damage. My guess is that Fred will bury the hatchet with the new ownership group.

I'm sure, like a politician, Fred adjusted his message to his audience. But I can assure you he had little nice to day about the city when on WEEI.

And that's fine, if that's how he feels. My beef is how he still comes around like he's proud to be a Bills alum, and acts like he's such a Bills booster. He's big hairy phony.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm sure, like a politician, Fred adjusted his message to his audience. But I can assure you he had little nice to day about the city when on WEEI.

And that's fine, if that's how he feels. My beef is how he still comes around like he's proud to be a Bills alum, and acts like he's such a Bills booster. He's big hairy phony.

PTR

He knows where his bread is buttered, and there's nothing wrong with that. I live in Rhode Island and see Fred with some frequency. He doesn't hate the city.

OK enough is enough!

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise Fred Smerlas?

Who left the door open?

Stop it with the home town or bust revisionist horseshit. Learn about Plan B.

i know about Plan B, similar to RFA. He got an offer from San Fran, the Bills didn't want to match it, so they let him leave. It wasn't a cut like Moorman this week.

Another way of thinking about it...

Plan B/RFA - I have a job, I'm happy at it, but I think i can be happier someone else, more money, get a promotion, etc. So I apply, get accepted, but I can't leave my current employer high and dry, so I tell them that if they match it, I'll stay. They decide not to match and let me go.

Cut - I have a job I'm happy at. My employer though decides they've got to cut costs or I'm not performing to their expectations, so they let me go.

Dean Cain was a cut.

Additionally, he was a Pro-Bowler 5 times betwen 1980 and 1988, including an All-Pro nomintaion. During that stretch no NT or DT received more accolades. As a side note, he was nominated for Hall of Fame consideration again this year.

He gets nominated but he never makes it down to the final weeked, or at least I never remember him making it down to the final weekend before they announce who made it. He will never make the HOF nor should he.

http://www.buffalobi...paign=BillsBuzz

I loved Fred Smerlas as a Bill. I know he was heartbroken when Marv Levy replaced him with Jeff Wright right before the Bills Super Bowl run. But living in NH I hear Fred on Boston sports talker WEEI, and he regularly put down the Bills, Ralph Wilson, and the city of Buffalo when he is on the air. He can be pretty harsh.

But then Fred is more than happy to to put on a smile and come back to Buffalo to sign autographs and such. He just strikes me as a two-face. When I saw this article, I thought back to what he would say on Boston radio and think "yeah, right."

PTR

I agree completely.

Fred is bitter that the Bills organization has never put forth a campaign for his HOF bid. He loves the time he spent in Buffalo, but feels he was abandoned by the organization, and he holds a grudge. Can't say I blame him, either.

Fred Smerlas does not belong in the Pro Football HOF. JMHO.

You can say that was the biggest mistake of 1990, cutting Smerlas and not getting a clog the middle NT. Had Bills kept Smerlas or signed free agent Jim Burt, it would have been a different outcome in the Superbowl.

He wasn't cut, he was a free agent, and opted to go to San Fran.

San Fran signed both of them, and to my surprise at the time Burt started ahead of Freddy. Then after a year or two of riding the pine, he sulked back to NE to play for his hometown Cheatriots*.

The only thing bigger than his stomach is his mouth.

A few points:

1) The homer revisionism around here is palpable. If Buffalo wanted to retain him, they could have. They let him walk, believing him to be fungible. He wasn't.

2) While he played he was widely regarded as the very best that there was at his position. He maintained that elite level of performance for an entire 9 year football generation. That's the standard that defines a Hall of Famer. It's what has kept Andre Reed and Kent Hull out, and it's the reason Steve Tasker will get in.

3) It's wildly intellectually dishonest to discount the man's elite performance because you have sour grapes over his decision to leave (especially considering the fact that it was ultimately the Bills' decision), the fact that you don't like what he has become in retirement, or the fact that the game changed and players became alot bigger a generation after he was gone.

As much as I loved Smerlas, this is the most well balanced and probably correct reflection on his theoretical impact on the 1990 Bills. As for the bolded, didn't we actually acquire Tasker of Plan B from Houston? Pretty incredible that we trusted him after he had previously reneged on just such a "gentlemen's agreement" that he wouldn't sign elsewhere.

Tasker wasn't plan B. He was a regular plain old waiver claim. He was on Houston's injured list and they needed to activate him midseason (legal at the time). In order to be activated he needed to clear waivers and the Bills claimed him. Tasker had to report, there was no reneged agreement with Houston.