Fred "Two Face" Smerlas

PromoTheRobot

You can say that was the biggest mistake of 1990, cutting Smerlas and not getting a clog the middle NT. Had Bills kept Smerlas or signed free agent Jim Burt, it would have been a different outcome in the Superbowl.

I hate it, GG. I've posted it before (can't find it now) and it has always been a sore spot for me. I am not saying that I put our Super Bowl losses completely on Marve and Walt for turning over the brunt of our defense to their boy Jeff Wright, but I do believe it made a difference and the proof is in the pudding...our defenses before with Smerlas and after with Washington.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalobi...paign=BillsBuzz

I loved Fred Smerlas as a Bill. I know he was heartbroken when Marv Levy replaced him with Jeff Wright right before the Bills Super Bowl run. But living in NH I hear Fred on Boston sports talker WEEI, and he regularly put down the Bills, Ralph Wilson, and the city of Buffalo when he is on the air. He can be pretty harsh.

But then Fred is more than happy to to put on a smile and come back to Buffalo to sign autographs and such. He just strikes me as a two-face. When I saw this article, I thought back to what he would say on Boston radio and think "yeah, right."

PTR

What did he say that the Bills have been a bad organization? How dare he tell the truth! Just doing his job. Some people get bothered by the littlest things. Did he talk about the Buffalo weather too, what a SOB.

Exactly. He wanted out of Buffalo and couldn't wait to go to a Superbowl winner.

Actually I believe he wanted to stay but the Bills were going to go with someone, yep-Cheaper!

With Kelly it became a failure for everything he did after his career. He wanted to move to NC and get into NASCAR-fail. His ESPN career was a disaster. Bar, night club-fail. His Super Bowl appearances were huge -fail. This is want Buffalo wants helping to run this franchise after Ralph dies? Good luck.

You are right, in fact I think I saw him in the food stamp line when i drove by the other day.

Additionally, he was a Pro-Bowler 5 times betwen 1980 and 1988, including an All-Pro nomintaion. During that stretch no NT or DT received more accolades. As a side note, he was nominated for Hall of Fame consideration again this year.

Ruben Brown went to the Pro Bowl 9 times- does this make him a Hall of Fame lineman, yes or no?

Sometimes the accolades don't measure up to the Hall of Fame measuring stick, and Smerlas just doesn't measure up.

Ruben Brown went to the Pro Bowl 9 times- does this make him a Hall of Fame lineman, yes or no?

Sometimes the accolades don't measure up to the Hall of Fame measuring stick, and Smerlas just doesn't measure up.

I'm willing to have the Brown discussion, but not in a Smerlas thread. It wasn't just the accolades, but the fact that his peers considers him to be the best at his position for a span of a generation. Defensive players, especially those since 1977, are drastically under represented in the HOF. Only one nose tackle is in the Hall period. It's a shame and a sham.

Just to be clear here....

My beef over Smerlas is he hates on the team and city (deserved or not) yet still comes back as an alum acting like he loves the Bills. Hence...two-faced. He can say whatever he wants. It's a free country. Just don't come back like you love the team when it suits you.

PTR

Just to be clear here....

My beef over Smerlas is he hates on the team and city (deserved or not) yet still comes back as an alum acting like he loves the Bills. Hence...two-faced. He can say whatever he wants. It's a free country. Just don't come back like you love the team when it suits you.

PTR

The impression I get is that he wants to love the team, and be welcomed home as a prodigal son, but is just too damn thick skulled and stubborn to bury the hatchet and stop backpacking his grudge around. Once we have new ownership, my guess is that he is extended an olive branch and is celebrated in his return, much like Carlton Fisk with the Red Sox or Reggie Jackson with the Yankees.