Packers-Seahawks Live Game Thread

Twice last season balls were batted down right into the waiting arms of the offense on a hail Mary -- for touchdowns. That's not an exact science, especially given Jennings' trajectory on that play.

I don't know if I'd consider those batted down; they were more knocked sideways, just like the one yesterday.

It's definitely not an exact science but there's a reason guys are coached to spike that thing straight down to the turf; it's your best shot to win the game, imo.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was a touchdown. YOu have to come down with the ball to have possession, even though jennings touched the ball first they both came down with it in their arms. Tate had possession as well, it is a touchdown. They made the right call, is it controversial sure but I bet the real refs make the same call.

For the record:

- The back judge (#84) involved in the play is Derrick Rhone-Dunn. He is a former Big 12 official who was FIRED due to performance reasons. Interesting that the NFL thinks that a D-I official that flamed out is qualified to call an NFL game.

- The side judge (#26) involved in the play is Lance Easley. He is a junior college official from California - not even D-III NCAA. He ruled TD.

- Gerry Austin (the former referee in the ESPN booth) was 100% correct. The R should have gotten those two guys together to figure out what happened.

The madness must end.

Exactly. It wasn't that officials call and that he thought it was is a big problem.

But don't they still have to establish somehow that Tate caught it? Ven if they can't give the pick? A Seahawks player has to have control at somepoint to complete the scoring play and I can't say Tate did (though after much wrestling who knows).

All they can examine is whether a possession has been established (ie. Were two feet down in bounds, and did the ball touch the ground). Who possesses the ball is not reviewable.

Right. That is clearly an INT. But the refs didn't see it happen live, they really weren't in position to see it. They only ruled when both guys were already on the ground a second or two after it was already over. So that rule never really entered their equation, or the replay.

Even if they didn't see it live what they did see should have made it clear that it was an INT.

I don't even see how it's close. By the time the refs got there Jennings had the ball to his chest while Tate was staring at the number 43 on Jennings back while reaching around trying to get a grasp on the ball pressed against Jennings chest. Tate was looking at Jennings back! How could this be considered anything but an INT?

I don't know if I'd consider those batted down; they were more knocked sideways, just like the one yesterday.

It's definitely not an exact science but there's a reason guys are coached to spike that thing straight down to the turf; it's your best shot to win the game, imo.

I don't disagree. But at that angle -- with it being a jump ball, and Jennings angling toward the back of the endzone -- It easily could have been batted straight into the air. He had no leverage.

That was a touchdown. YOu have to come down with the ball to have possession, even though jennings touched the ball first they both came down with it in their arms. Tate had possession as well, it is a touchdown. They made the right call, is it controversial sure but I bet the real refs make the same call.

You are in a micro-minority.

I believe you are the only one in this thread who feels this way.

Have you read the last few pages since this happened and understand the rule?

tate did NOT have possession....he reached in and touched the ball after the packer had it completely wrapped up

tate did NOT have possession....he reached in and touched the ball after the packer had it completely wrapped up

no he did not, he had both hands on the ball before either player touched the ground. YOu can not have possession until you touch the ground therefore they both had possession of the ball

Going over Tate, I'd imagine he's told to pull it away, not spike it into the body of the guy below him unless he feels he can control the spike and get it away from the wrs.

Like you said - not a science, and frankly, he got it right as he made a clean pick.

Even if they didn't see it live what they did see should have made it clear that it was an INT.

I don't even see how it's close. By the time the refs got there Jennings had the ball to his chest while Tate was staring at the number 43 on Jennings back while reaching around trying to get a grasp on the ball pressed against Jennings chest. Tate was looking at Jennings back! How could this be considered anything but an INT?

Oh, I am not defending it. I don't think it was close either, even when the guy got there. I guess I could imagine that what the ref saw for the first time was Tate had some of the ball even though Jennings had more and he panicked and called it a dual possession.

Until possession is established (that "football action" they always talk about) it is like the ball is still in the air. You might be right.

I find it amazing that you type so perfectly despite being blind.

no he did not, he had both hands on the ball before either player touched the ground. YOu can not have possession until you touch the ground therefore they both had possession of the ball

You're providing good food for thought. This isn't as black and white an INT as most think.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack