BS fine on searcy

superbills315

Boss will not play this week due to the concussion he suffered on the play.

Was it an egregious foul? No.

Is it the kind of DB response that the NFL is trying to legislate out of the game? Yes.

My only objection is that you have $9 million/year players getting fined the same dollar amount as second year players drafted in the 4th round.

THAT's the part that's unfair, IMO.

It was an unnecessary hit. Boss is big TE and he was not going to stand up quickly and sprint downfield, a simple touch on the shoulder and the play is dead. It reminded me of one of Rodney Harrison POS late hit (not saying Searcy is a bad guy or POS player)

I guess that is the reason why Bills fans have come accustom to poor defense play because we expect our players to let up. Listen, if he didn't hit him and Boss runs for a touchdown you guys would have called for him to be benched. I don't agree with a lot of these fines the commissioner has been putting out, including this one.

There is a reason why the Steelers and Ravens put up solid D's every year is because their teams play aggressive.

who cares? They're rich we're not...

Da' Norris will make $465,000 for this year. The fine ($21,000) is about 4.5% of his yearly earnings… off the top… pre-tax.

The average American makes about $46,000 per year. An equivalent fine for the average American is about $2100.

So no, Da'Norris is not rich and yes, that's a big fine considering the infraction.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The legue backing up replacment refs? Maybe fine any hit that ends with a concution?

I saw that same hit in other games over the weekend, with no flags, or fines. Boss slide kinda late, and Searcy was already going in.

Alex Smith got hit like that, and I think broke his nose. On Monday night football. No flag.

I was at the game and it kinda looked like he dove in and hit him as the both went down, the game is fast stuff is going to happen and the flag came out so late only because it was a injury and on tv it did not look that bad he went in with his shoulder like they want them to do, its football not two hand touch i think the hit on fred jackson was way worse but no fine and like jaxbills i also seen a few plays just like it with no flag or fine because no one got hurt, idk i feel like it was bs just my opinion

Da' Norris will make $465,000 for this year. The fine ($21,000) is about 4.5% of his yearly earnings… off the top… pre-tax.

The average American makes about $46,000 per year. An equivalent fine for the average American is about $2100.

So no, Da'Norris is not rich and yes, that's a big fine considering the infraction.

If we're comparing the situation to average joes, let's say I made a mistake and broke some rules that caused someone to miss a week of work (we'll leave violence out of the question, since it's obviously not acceptable in most normal situations.) I would probably lose my job, I would be lucky to get off with a fine. It's impossible to really compare apples to apples, but my point is that the NFL wants to change the culture and make these kind of hits unacceptable, and fines are one of the few semi-effective methods they have available. (Now, if they really cared about player safety, they would bring the regular refs back in, but that's another conversation.)

I'm not sure what world you live in, but someone who makes $465,000 per year is rich. That's 10x what the average american makes by your own data.

And comparing fines by using a straight percentage is a false comparison because the impact of a 4.5% fine on someone who makes $465,000 is much less than on someone who makes $46,000. Whey you only have $46k to make it through the year, $2,100 is a big chunk of change but when you have $465k and have to pay $21,000 then you still have $444k to play with, which is still 10x what the average person has.

If we're comparing the situation to average joes, let's say I made a mistake and broke some rules that caused someone to miss a week of work (we'll leave violence out of the question, since it's obviously not acceptable in most normal situations.) I would probably lose my job, I would be lucky to get off with a fine. It's impossible to really compare apples to apples, but my point is that the NFL wants to change the culture and make these kind of hits unacceptable, and fines are one of the few semi-effective methods they have available. (Now, if they really cared about player safety, they would bring the regular refs back in, but that's another conversation.)

As I said, it's a substantial fine for lower paid players and the NFL is trying to reduce the incidence of this type of play.

Also as I said in my earlier post, the fines are not fair. Nnamdi Asomugha makes $15 million per year. For him $21,000 is truly nothing.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but someone who makes $465,000 per year is rich. That's 10x what the average american makes by your own data.

And comparing fines by using a straight percentage is a false comparison because the impact of a 4.5% fine on someone who makes $465,000 is much less than on someone who makes $46,000. Whey you only have $46k to make it through the year, $2,100 is a big chunk of change but when you have $465k and have to pay $21,000 then you still have $444k to play with, which is still 10x what the average person has.

I guess that's easy for you to say. Probably it's not up to us to decide what a lot of money is for someone else unless it's a truly astronomical amount.

I will say that I don't consider a person who makes $465,000 in one year to be rich.

Being wealthy or rich have a much different definition to me than to you.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Well, I also was at the game. I agree with many above that this hit was clean, and should not have been a fine. BUUUT, there was an ealier hit where he used the forearm on a KC receiver that I thought deserved the flag. But, the guy got up, so no fine on that play.