Steve Sabol Dies at 69

I think the funniest line I've ever heard was Steve talking about meeting Vince Lombardi back in the day. He was speaking of this man very reverently while relating their meeting and then said he asked for an autograph from the coach on a picture. Sabol said that Lombardi handed it back to him and it read:

"To Steve,

A schmuck if I ever met one.

Vince Lombardi"

:lol:

So much of what's on teevee is just passing time that you forget within ~ 45 minutes. I saw that on one of his NFL Films presentations and, hey, it's still in the memory bank.

RIP Mr. Sabol.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, really?? This is a major bummer...I had no idea he was even sick.

fuggin cancer, man...

RIP, Steve...as others have said, one HELL of a body of work that we all have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy for years and years to come.

I think the funniest line I've ever heard was Steve talking about meeting Vince Lombardi back in the day. He was speaking of this man very reverently while relating their meeting and then said he asked for an autograph from the coach on a picture. Sabol said that Lombardi handed it back to him and it read:

"To Steve,

A schmuck if I ever met one.

Vince Lombardi"

:lol:

So much of what's on teevee is just passing time that you forget within ~ 45 minutes. I saw that on one of his NFL Films presentations and, hey, it's still in the memory bank.

RIP Mr. Sabol.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about meeting Don Rickles? ;)

Just a really sad day but what an incredible legacy the guy leaves behind. The real innovator of 'reality tv'. His drive and energy made the average fan become engrossed and completely devoted. I flip through channels like most guys do but who can't stop when they see one of his older shows or more recent ones. Fun stuff. Very sad day for football.

Sad day indeed. RIP Steve.

NFL Films did wonders for the NFL.

My first memories of NFL Films came from watching Halftime Highlights on Monday Night Football. I always wondered why the footage of the games looked so much different than what it looked like on it's original broadcast.

I'll never forget "Football Follies" with Mel Blanc's voiceover, and all the many Super Bowl episodes.

Edited by Mark Vader

I was so sad to hear this today. I was listening to the NFL radio, and thought, they must mean Ed Sabol, god bless him as he's 96. I never thought it was Steve.

I have such fond memories of NFL Films Presents, and the above video on the Raiders, the ones on Green Bay, Bears, Steelers, us etc. They were so much fun to watch over and over again.

I just hope they have mentored enough young persons in their offices to carry on the great tradition of the Sabol's. I don't want the neon bling look to football. I want to continue to see these great films as a traditionalist.

RIP Steve. You will be deeply missed on TBD.

Dang, listening to the John Murphy show tonight I realized just how much NFL films has been part of my love for the sport since I was a kid...I had forgotten about some of the series they talked about. Is there a Steve Sabol Jr to take over?