Steve Sabol Dies at 69

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Steve Sabel

Before Al Gore and the internet the only true way to watch highlights of game when I grew up was watching NFL films on HBO. I loved that show. The way they presented the games was a stroke of genius. I loved how he would zoom on a tight spiral of a pass and then you see the player catch it.

This is very sad news and an end of an era. The NFL owes a huge debit to NFL Films and the Sabels for making the league what it is today.

He/they pioneered slo-mo. As a kid in the 60's, that was overwhelmingly cool. Today, every play is re-shown in slo-mo but it was revolutionary then. Hollywood was inspired by the Sabols. That says it all.

Few know that Steve wrote much of the scripts John Facenda made legendary. After reading Steve's script for " The autumn wind is a raider", Facenda said "Steve, you've given me a horse I can ride!"

Thank you for the thrills, Steve!

R.I.P.

I had the opportunity to sit with him in his office and talk football and football history. You could hear the passion for the game in his voice and see it in his eyes. He lived for football.

He will be missed.