Stadium 75% empty with 5 minutes left to play

Beebes Bubble

When the stadium beer has stopped flowing, but the party's still going, and the team has stopped throwing, because the outcome is in the knowing, and the tailgate outside is growing, while it's sunny and not snowing, well...

Well then it's OK to leave 5 minutes early, so stop your crowing.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you watched on TV and are criticizing the people who actually paid for a ticket and went to the game huh?

I had season tickets the last 3 years but now im making 4 dollars an hour as an intern living on the other side of NY. I almost cried when I had to give up my seasons and I never once left early no matter how bad they played. Thats how i approached every game as a fan. I love being there. I had 7 sundays a year when I was in the best place on earth in my eyes cheering on the team i spend hours and countless dollars supporting. Sorry if im ok with sitting in Traffic after a game to enjoy that brief 3 and half hours 7 times a year

I had season tickets the last 3 years but now im making 4 dollars an hour as an intern living on the other side of NY. I almost cried when I had to give up my seasons and I never once left early no matter how bad they played. Thats how i approached every game as a fan. I love being there. I had 7 sundays a year when I was in the best place on earth in my eyes cheering on the team i spend hours and countless dollars supporting. Sorry if im ok with sitting in Traffic after a game to enjoy that brief 3 and half hours 7 times a year

Don't be sorry I admire your enthusiasm. I have had season tickets for the past 6 years and go to at least one road game a year as well (cleveland next week). But i see absolutely nothing wrong with leaving whenever i damn well please, especially in a blowout. It's a two way street. When the team finally puts together a playoff season, heck, even a winning record, then i'll start staying to the final whistle and cheering them on till i lose my voice.

Until then, they're lucky they are still getting my money at all. The players shouldn't feel bad if there isn't a full house late in the 4th, even during a blowout win, given the product they have put on the field for the last 12 years or so.

Don't be sorry I admire your enthusiasm. I have had season tickets for the past 6 years and go to at least one road game a year as well (cleveland next week). But i see absolutely nothing wrong with leaving whenever i damn well please, especially in a blowout. It's a two way street. When the team finally puts together a playoff season, heck, even a winning record, then i'll start staying to the final whistle and cheering them on till i lose my voice.

Until then, they're lucky they are still getting my money at all. The players shouldn't feel bad if there isn't a full house late in the 4th, even during a blowout win, given the product they have put on the field for the last 12 years or so.

I just feel like as much as we B word and moan they put on a good show and hope for the best each and every week, then we leave at the end of the third? It just bugged me. to each his own tho

I drove 8 hours and made a weekend of it. Stayed until 3 minutes left when the Bills obviously stopped caring.

Beyond that, I paid, I went. I'll leave whenever the hell I want.

And when it comes to supporting the team, you've got to be kidding me. Most people on here have supported this team for the past 20 years and gotten nothing in return. My family has season tickets even after moving to another state.

I too left with about 6 min left or so. I come from the Albany area and have a 5 hr drive home. If a closer game -- I'd be there -- but I need to beat the traffic to some degree or the ride becomes 7-8 hrs fast. I come out in the am, tailgate, game, then long drive home. A long day as it is -- with work the next day. If I lived there or close -- I'd stay til they kicked me out of the lot after -- but under the circumstances, that's what I need to do. I'd never leave in a close game, etc...but I don't feel bad under the circumstances. I pay full price for my seasons too and have been coming forever...so loyalty is no issue. Buy tickets and go to to the games. Keep 'em sold out and keep the team in Buffalo. BUT...don't b***h about the fans that make the trek if you are at home on the comfy couch. Just sayin'.

I admit I left with 7 mins left in the 4th quarter, but I had a 6.5 hour drive back to Ohio and I couldn't afford 1-1.5 hrs in traffic.

traffic is the problem !!!.....i have written to the bills with no success.....at least at mckinley & southwestern, the erie county sheriff's traffic control does not start until literally the final gun....they just sit in their cars til then.....by then the bottleneck has already built up ands its too late. if they started working again , say at the end of the 3rd qtr, folks wouldn't get stuck in traffic for an extra hour.

i was watching on tv several states away.

i watch every game til the final gun.

paid 300 for sunday ticket this year.

saw pigpen come in, and for the first time i can remember, changed the channel to a different game.

tbh, i was really more interested in seeing if the pats would lose, than watching us hand it off to a 3rd string running back for 5 minutes.

also, the cbs announcers were horrible. i know theres only so much you can discuss in a blowout, but once they started talking about what the chiefs practice would look like this week for the 4th time, i couldnt take it anymore.

Great win today! Very good play all around except for Fitz. This isn't a topic about the players, though.

I was a bit shocked with the stadium being *so* empty with 5 minutes left to play, though. With a much needed win after last weeks putrid performance, I was hoping a LARGE crowd would have stuck around to give our boys a huge round of applause. The stadium sounded loud for much of the day, but a cheering, standing ovation at the end would have been a great way to close the game out.

I realize people want to try and beat the crowd, but it has to be weird from the players perspective to have the stadium almost cleared out after playing a dominating game with so much time left on the clock. Sure, sitting through garbage time isn't nearly as exciting as a close game, which I am sure more people would have stuck around for. But, wouldn't you rather see a dominating performance like today, than a squeaker the team may not be able win in the end? So, why leave after they do a great job and tear their opponent apart?

Yes, the players get paid to play this game. It's their job to go out there, regardless of the crowd size. But, if they look up after a win and see a full stadium and hear the crowd roar, they remember that. That memory could end up being enough for individuals to reach down deeper when a game is on the line and come up with a herculean effort to get back to that feeling. Every little bit counts.

Go Bills!

did you call the radio station and talk about this?

when i had seasons i loved it when people left early, especially after a big win. im one that likes to stay afterwards and party for an hour or three and when people leave early that makes the drive home super clear just about any time you want to take off

so leaving early like that doesnt bother me. what does bug me a little is when people leave early when the game is still very winnable. it got a lot better during the kelly years as those teams taught the fans that almost no game was unwinnable. but ive noticed lots of fans have started leaving again when the team gets down by a couple scores late. i guess if you drove from albany or further theres a good reason to want to avoid traffic jams, but hell youve come all the way to op to see a game you might as well try to catch any miracle endings. same thing with hockey games

the only game i left early that i almost regretted big time was when the bandits were down by something like five goals with two minutes left. we were walking up washington street away from the arena when we heard tavaras had tied the game to go into ot! unfortunately (but fortunately for us) they lost in ot, so we were off the hook. otherwise ive always stayed to the end of games and seen some amazing comebacks as a result

It's really kind of silly to critique a person's level of "fandom" based upon when he or she leaves a game. Going to a football game is a pretty big time commitment, particularly if you got out there early to tailgate. Some folks just really hate traffic.

Yesterday, my dad and I left halfway through the 4th quarter -- but we had a 6:00 flight to catch as well as return a rental car. Were we bad fans for doing so?

Just a silly thread, really...which makes me wonder why I bothered to post in it. :doh:

The Bills fans were the losers today. Everybody cries and whines all week after a loss of how bad they want a good team in Buffalo, and then when the team dominates and gives them what they want they leave early so they can get home 20 minutes earlier. Bills fans are not the greatest fans in the league, they are the biggest phonies in the league. How embarrassing.

This is so pathetic on so many levels. So when people get to the lots at 9am and some have to leave with 5 minutes to go, it's embarrassing? Your statement is embarrassing - maybe some people have kids with a babysitter, have a long drive home after the game, whatever the issue may be.

I pretty much never leave early but the guys I go with were nagging me so we left when the Bills knelt it and that loser Crennell kept calling time outs. There was like a minute and a half to go at that point. People leaving early in a blowout doesn't bother me. It's when people bolt out early in a close one that does. Like at Sabres games where it'll be a one goal or tie game in the third and people start racing to the exits with 5 minutes left.

Edited by biglukes

traffic is the problem !!!.....i have written to the bills with no success.....at least at mckinley & southwestern, the erie county sheriff's traffic control does not start until literally the final gun....they just sit in their cars til then.....by then the bottleneck has already built up ands its too late. if they started working again , say at the end of the 3rd qtr, folks wouldn't get stuck in traffic for an extra hour.

You are exactly right about the sheriffs. I pulled out of Hammers onto Abbott headed south and it was obviously bumper to bumber. Suddenly, people ahead of me drove into the northbound lanes and it freed up traffic so I followed them. At one point when I was stopped, a sheriff knocked on my window and yelled at me to "get over to the right, you and "all the other idiots" who pulled into the wrong lanes". I was thinking, sure thing, but why weren't you out directing traffic BEFORE the traffic got crazy. Then this never would have happened and you wouldn't have to go car to car calling people idiots, idiot.

Edited by BillnutinHouston