Los Angeles NFL plans in jeopardy?

Jerry Jabber

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/los-angeles-stadium-plans-farmers-field-could-be-derailed-by-lawsuit-according-to-attorney-091312

"An attorney from the Natural Resources Defense Council warned a Los Angeles City Council committee that a recent lawsuit filed by anti-poverty and environmental activists could derail plans for a downtown NFL stadium.

David Pettit of the NRDC, which is not involved in the lawsuit and supports the stadium, said Thursday that legal action from the Play Fair at Farmers Field Coalition could ''take down the entire project'' and encouraged mediation with stadium developer Anschutz Entertainment Group. The group also is saying AEG should pay $60 million toward affordable downtown housing."

The group is suing over a state law passed to fast-track legal challenges to Farmers Field.

AEG and LA want a plan finalized by March, when they hope they can convince an NFL owner to move a team to the city."

Is this potentially good news for Bills fans?

http://msn.foxsports...attorney-091312

"An attorney from the Natural Resources Defense Council warned a Los Angeles City Council committee that a recent lawsuit filed by anti-poverty and environmental activists could derail plans for a downtown NFL stadium.

David Pettit of the NRDC, which is not involved in the lawsuit and supports the stadium, said Thursday that legal action from the Play Fair at Farmers Field Coalition could ''take down the entire project'' and encouraged mediation with stadium developer Anschutz Entertainment Group. The group also is saying AEG should pay $60 million toward affordable downtown housing."

The group is suing over a state law passed to fast-track legal challenges to Farmers Field.

AEG and LA want a plan finalized by March, when they hope they can convince an NFL owner to move a team to the city."

Is this potentially good news for Bills fans?

Yawn. So you really think that this is going to get into the way of LA getting a stadium built? Even so, they will find a way to get something built there. Heck, the Coliseum is just as good as the Ralph.

Yawn. So you really think that this is going to get into the way of LA getting a stadium built? Even so, they will find a way to get something built there. Heck, the Coliseum is just as good as the Ralph.

Just on the off chance that you are being serious:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/us/new-plan-yields-hint-of-hope-for-aging-la-coliseum.html

Nothing about the Coliseum is NFL standard. Other than the field dimensions.

GO BILLS!!!

I live in Los Angeles. The downtown stadium project is considered by most residents, even football fans, to be a really terrible idea. The congestion it will cause alone will be massive. However, it also represents such an enormous revenue stream coming into the city that I very much doubt that any number of sign wielding hippies, or lawyered up environmentalists will be able to derail the Stadium Train.

That being said, I still don't think that the Bills will leave Upstate New York.

I live in Los Angeles. The downtown stadium project is considered by most residents, even football fans, to be a really terrible idea. The congestion it will cause alone will be massive. However, it also represents such an enormous revenue stream coming into the city that I very much doubt that any number of sign wielding hippies, or lawyered up environmentalists will be able to derail the Stadium Train.

That being said, I still don't think that the Bills will leave Upstate New York.

Let me first say that I don't know the first thing about the LA Stadium proposal or LA traffic patterns in particular, however in general, stadiums built downtown function much better from a congestion standpoint than ones built in the suburbs.

Downtown areas already have built up transportation systems that are designed to carry many more people every weekday than go to the stadiums on Sunday. Also, downtowns are typically centrally located which means that traffic is arriving and dispersing in multiple directions. There are bars and restaurants all around the downtown that people can meet before the games to "tailgate" at, eliminating the need for giant parking lots full of drunk people.

The stadium here in Charlotte is downtown and you can drive within a few blocks of a sold out game 30 minutes before game time and not even know that there is a game going on. Within 30 minutes of the game ending everything is clear. Compare this to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. Almost everybody arrives and leaves from the same direction and there are only a couple of roads to get there. What's that area like before or just after a game?

A far less than comprehensive search effort failed to turn up the actual complaint filed by the "Play Fair ... Coalition," but I did find a few more details about the suit here:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/09/04/49904.htm

Play Fair and four people sued California in Superior Court, claiming Senate Bill 292 violates the California Environmental Quality Act, the state Constitution and the Code of Civil Procedure.

Joining as plaintiffs are local residents Pete Ares, Steve Richardson, Karl Manheim, and Gary Williams.

Plaintiffs Pete Ares is a 61-year-old part-time phlebotomist with Kaiser Permanente, who lives with his two adult children in the South Los Angeles home where he was born. Steve Richardson is a community organizer with the Los Angeles Community Action Network and has lived in downtown Los Angeles for almost 50 years. Karl Manheim and Gary Williams are professors at Loyola Law School, where they have taught civil rights and constitutional law. All four men live and work within a 2-mile radius of the project area.

I doubt that this suit would permanently derail downtown LA stadium plans, but it could slow the timing. The fact that a law school professor who teaches constitutional law signed on as a named plaintiff indicates to me that the constitutional challenge being raised is not totally off the wall. Hard to say more without seeing the actual complaint.

Just my 2 rupees.

Dude when I leave staples center after the clippers or the kings play, I get on a freeway in like 10 minutes.

Light traffic.

Traffic is "a little" heavy before the game. But mostly becuase its during rush hour....

On a sunday there is never any traffic problems. Add the fact that fans will start entering the stadium hours in advance. Not all at once. Traffic will not be an issue.

Let me first say that I don't know the first thing about the LA Stadium proposal or LA traffic patterns in particular, however in general, stadiums built downtown function much better from a congestion standpoint than ones built in the suburbs.

Downtown areas already have built up transportation systems that are designed to carry many more people every weekday than go to the stadiums on Sunday. Also, downtowns are typically centrally located which means that traffic is arriving and dispersing in multiple directions. There are bars and restaurants all around the downtown that people can meet before the games to "tailgate" at, eliminating the need for giant parking lots full of drunk people.

The stadium here in Charlotte is downtown and you can drive within a few blocks of a sold out game 30 minutes before game time and not even know that there is a game going on. Within 30 minutes of the game ending everything is clear. Compare this to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. Almost everybody arrives and leaves from the same direction and there are only a couple of roads to get there. What's that area like before or just after a game?

In LA, you can get on just about any freeway at 4am, and possibly find yourself in a traffic jam. The last time the President of the United States visited LA, it changed my commute time from 20 minutes to almost two hours. We have a situation here later this month where they are going to shut down the 405 for two days on a weekend. They are calling it "Carmageddon."

That being said, I am actually all for the LA Stadium Project- as long as the Bills don't leave Buffalo!

Dude when I leave staples center after the clippers or the kings play, I get on a freeway in like 10 minutes.

Light traffic.

Traffic is "a little" heavy before the game. But mostly becuase its during rush hour....

On a sunday there is never any traffic problems. Add the fact that fans will start entering the stadium hours in advance. Not all at once. Traffic will not be an issue.

Clippers average less than 20k

Kings likewise

If you take the kings 18k average and multiply it by 4 or 5 that's what your looking at for the nfl.

I agree it's not as nightmarish as some describe but this would be something totally different than kings and clippers games

Seems to me... the sooner a stadium is built and a team decides to locate all the better for the Bills. A lawsuit, slowing things down would only increase the chance that Ralph passes prior to completion and the team is sold to an outside interest. (not saying that would ever happen, mind you)