What is the average age of the posters on TBD?

Dragonborn10

40. Born into it. First game in person was the 1977 Home opener against Miami. Haven't missed one home opener since and have probably been to at least 250 games. BTW, yes, it was OK to take kids to the games back then. Nobody else went that year. They had some of the lowest attended games in their history back then. 20-22,000. True story: I actually had a season ticket in 1973 when I was one. My Dad thought it would be a smart move to get one for me in the new Rich Stadium. My cousin got to use it until I was 5.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23, almost 24. Honestly only been a diehard since the 07 MNF against the Cowboys. I absolutely fell in love with the atmosphere in the stadium and the team after that. I didn't suffer through all the heartbreaks, but they hurt me now after knowing about them.

Just turned 45....Pickspatrick threw 3 INTs as a birthday present. I have always loved football and became a Bills fan when my dad bought me a magazine that said Buffalo was going to the Superbowl. Joe Ferguson was QB and I believe it was 1979. I am the only Bills fan I know, which makes a lonely club on Sundays.

I love them though and will never leave, which will make the playoffs, when they come, so much more sweet.

44, born in South Buffalo and raised in Clarence. Grew up with season tickets behind Bills bench in the late 80s-90s, but left WNY for career. Continue to live and die with the Bills on Sundays, and have imprinted my son with Bills fandom (for better or for worse). This will be the 4th year running we've made a few games each year. Flying in for the home opener is now a family tradition.

Fun thread. I'll play:

I'm 35, and live about 40 minutes away from Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA. I grew up in New England, but they were an awful team in the 80's when I discovered football and were never on TV. My father, a life-long die-hard Patriots fan, had similar reservations to many of you here today about raising me as a fan of an entrenched loser with terrible ownership and a legacy of failure, so he let me go my own way (Except in 85'. That year I was forced to wear a John Hannah jersey every Sunday for the last 6 games of the season. To this day noone is allowed to speak ill of Steve Grogan in his presence.), and by the time 1988 rolled around I was an entrenched Bills fan.

Fast forward to today.

<cue "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin>

I have become my father. My heart and soul are held prisoner by a franchise marred by a legacy of failure and ineptitude. Our stadium looks like it a discarded pile of concrete from 1970's era East Germany. Our owner is out of touch with his fan base, and sees his franchise not as the lifeblood and legacy of his community, but as a slow and steady stream of income. Our roster, long past it's glory days, seems like an endless parade of "has been's", "never will be's", and "who the !@#$ is he's". My Sunday ritual osilates between displays of incredulous anger and apathetic malaise. My recliner is my Titanic, and Ralph Wilson is the captian.

My children, however, will not be like me. I am breaking the cycle. They are being raised as Bills fans, and when our version of Robert Kraft steps through that door, and turns the tide, my children and I will celebrate our victories together. Had my Dad stuck to his guns and raised me a Pats fan, today I'd be an incredible douchebag, but my father would know what it was like to celebrate a Super Bowl victory with his son.

not too far from you.

about 30 minutes from the razor and 37. Been a Bills fan since I was 15.

I'm 56; born in '56. Born and raised in Rochester. Still there. I grew up a Cleveland Browns fan . . . Jim Brown and the Syracuse connection, as the Buffalo Bills were still yet to be. It was a slow transition in our house, but by 1969, with OJ and the Electric Company, we were on our way. I got distracted by women and music for a bit, but Joe Ferguson and the Bills were always around. I watched every game of the 2-14 seasons. By the 90's, I was in a better place, and I bought Shout packs; the Bills would sell 1/2 season tickets: 1 preseason and 4 home games (they picked the games), and I was all in, the Super Bowl years. Since then, I rarely miss a game on TV, and I still go to one or two a year. although the crowd's drinking gets really old now that I'm getting old. Tucson John (boyhood friend from Rochester) comes in. We stay at the Hyatt, eat at the Chophouse, and live large for a weekend. Sports are great!

16 so I can't really remember the bills in the playoffs, but what made me a fan was the season tickets my family used to have out by the tunnel from 2002-2007...I would go to every game and just the atmosphere and fans made me love the team, but the thing that set me as a huge bills fan was the 31-0 victory we handed tom Brady and the pats what seems like forever ago...ik the team always seems to disappoint me but hey someone has to love them

GO BILLS!!!

Super Bowl or Bust

I'm 39. Military brat moved to Boston in 1983 at age 7. Followed the Pats for a little while (as much as a 7yr old could) but they were terrible and the laughing stocks of the league. Jumped on the Bills bandwagon during the second Superbowl run and have been riding it ever since. Closest I've ever been to Buffalo is Elmira where my cousin lived and never been to a game in Foxboro either but have grown to love the team exclusively. Only football team I watch outside of playoffs and Superbowl are the Bills. I'm also a Miami Heat fan have loved them since they first came into the league. Their success gives me hope that the Bills can turn it around too. Hopefully our Pat Riley is waiting out there in the wings somewhere. Go Bills!

Edited by BOS/ATL BILLS FAN

Im 36...Never been to Buffalo but became a fan growing up in Northern California. My parents divorced when I was like 2 and dad lived out in the country and mom lived in town. So on the weekends I would go to my dads where he was a rancher and we had cattle and stuff. Well, my dad was a hard core 49ers fan, and him and I were always competitive, so I couldnt root for them. Well when I was pretty young still, my grandfather bought a live Buffalo for the hell of it while he was at a cattle auction...to a kid in Cali, that was like seeing a dinosaur.

That was right about the time I started to really get old enough to understand football and play it...then of course every year Berman would pick the 49ers and Buffalo to go to the SB. So, between that and the Buffalo my grandfather bought, I started paying attention immediately to the Bills. Thats the same time they got Kelly, Smith, Thurman, Reed, etc...I instantly fell in love with the uptempo offense and the no huddle and thought they were the most exciting team in football. Became a huge fan then and been a die hard fan to this day. Lakers and Bills...been a die hard fan since I have been old enough to be one.

The only year I rooted for the 49ers was the last year they won the SB. My father was murdered that November, so in his honor I rooted them on the rest of the season and they went on to win their last SB (at least up to this point) behind Steve Young. But I told him on a visit to his grave that would be the last time I would cheer for them...and I have kept my word...screw the niners and go Bills...lol...I am sure he would have it no other way.

Go Bills!

****Hello, Dadonkadonk***Fellow Seattle-ite Bills fan here***

If you decide to subject your kids to the Bills, let me know and we can try to get our clans together for a game. (I watch with my 6 and 3 year old sons at our neighborhood kid-friendly sports bar in Madison Park, McGilvra's)

My story: 43 years old, lived in Rochester until I went away to college, haven't lived anywhere near Buffalo since, but have never for a moment stopped loving the Bills

I became a fan for life--I remember thinking, "this is my team for good"--when I was 11, Joe Cribbs' rookie year. I even remember the moment: When he sliced through the Steelers' defense for the TD that iced their big win over the defending Super Bowl champions (final score was 28-10 the Bills were 5-0 at that point in the year, if memory serves correctly). Tough loss to the Chargers in the playoffs that year; but the next year my parents' took me to the Pats game when Fergy hit Roland Hooks on the Hail Mary play. Talk about hooked!

That was a cold day; coldest football game I attended until 1987, my freshman year at Harvard, when it was 5 degrees at the Yale Bowl. By that time the Bills were on the rise. SB XXV was my senior year. I broke up with a girl on the spot on the night of the game when she came over afterwards and was not interested in talking about the Bills. Remember it vividly: ("You clearly have no idea who I am or what's important to me. Get out.")

Have been in Seattle since 1999. My first few years here I lived with my best friend from high school in Rochester, who also wound up out here in a strange quirk of fate, and we went to a lot of games together. Less viewing since he moved away a few years ago. But I was in a bar with my older son on Sunday, watching the season opener, and we exchanged a hearty high-five when CJ Spiller brought us back to 21-7. I had hope at the moment. I always have hope; and I always will.