Our terrible run defence.

BillsBytheBay

After thinking about the game, and how the EVERYONE ran the ball at will on us last year, maybe the jests run game was our focus. It's still a loss, but the damage had been done before the first half was over. With the jests not able to generate any offence during the preseason, Wanny might have thought we were going to see a heavy run scheme, with play action..... but we didnt see that at all. Fitz came out BAD, and our young corners were not expecting to see the jests in alot of four, and five wide sets.

The season is still young, and we know Fitz is going to have games like that. Bill-eave folks. thats all we can do. We need Fitz to have some consistancy; He threw three touchdowns didnt he? (and dont give me garbage time talk either, we were only down 13 points with i think 7min left. the spiller strip WAS A BIG mistake)

there it is, am I crazy, or can we step back from the ledge?

Well the D seriously cannot play any worse if they tried. It was a pathetic performance.

You would think that it will only be better from this point forward but who knows. They looked confused and uninspired, timid and afraid of the moment.

Fitz is still the QB so expect some more great throws.

In my mind, we didn't stop the run very well at all. In terms of YPC, perhaps. But we gave up more than 30 rushing attempts. Stopping the run means they have to abandon the running game for the pass. We didn't do that. The Jest did whatever they wanted.

GO BILLS!!!

In my mind, we didn't stop the run very well at all. In terms of YPC, perhaps. But we gave up more than 30 rushing attempts. Stopping the run means they have to abandon the running game for the pass. We didn't do that. The Jest did whatever they wanted.

GO BILLS!!!

a team that is up 41-7 in the second half is going to run the ball, regardless of how effective it is.

a team that is up 41-7 in the second half is going to run the ball, regardless of how effective it is.

That's true. How good were we at stopping them?

Point is, when you DON'T make a team one-dimensional, you haven't stopped any aspect of their game. Doesn't matter when they amassed their numbers. And if I counted correctly, 17 (less than half of their 36 rushing attempts) came in the second half.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Looking at the Coaches Film of the game, I cannot believe how loose the DB coverage was against the Jets. Any QB better look great against that...That was the Defenses biggest problem by far. Has to get much better to see a different result against the Chiefs.

same here...after watching some of the film, I had a big laugh!

I wonder if the secondary and the rest of this squad-- thinks the Jets game was the fifth game of the preseason?

Edit: *sighs*

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Looking at the Coaches Film of the game, I cannot believe how loose the DB coverage was against the Jets. Any QB better look great against that...That was the Defenses biggest problem by far. Has to get much better to see a different result against the Chiefs.

How did the angles and depths of the LB drops look on the all 22?

GO BILLS!!!

There was nothing wrong with the run D. If you think the run D was a major reason for the loss I don't know what to tell you.

The D as a whole failed mostly because they were unable to make big plays or force the Jets into negative plays.

For instance, a holding penalty to an offense quite often ends up killing a drive but the Jets had very few offensive infractions. More disturbingly I don't remember the Bills getting any tackles for losses in the run game or the pass game.

My biggest gripe with this defense is the coaching. If you prescribe to the belief that talent is the only determinant of NFL success, you are wrong.

Any unit, be it offense or defense cannot be predictable if they hope to be successful. You cannot play vanilla schemes and win in the NFL. It's that simple.

Even talent-laden defenses like the Steelers and Ravens make it a point to be unpredictable and complex.

Is it not the height of arrogance/stupidity to think that you can just line up in a base scheme, rush 4 guys all the time, and outplay the offense?

What was plan B… or was the assumption that the Bills D would simply outplay the Jets O because of nothing more than talent?

When the Giants were unable to pressure Romo consistently last Thursday Night, they started blitzing more often.

Did the Bills blitz even once?

Wannstedt has given his critics plenty of ammunition. It's hard to imagine a defense with this much talent playing this poorly.

GO BILLS!!!

Run d looked better than it has in at least 5 years. The jest running game inside and outside usually beat and batter our guys. this was he first time against them it at least looked like our guys could physically Stand up to theirs in the trenches. Line backers also did well in run support. Pass defense was abysmal. If you are only going to rush 4, may as well bump and cover tight so they can get there.

This was Sparanos offense. Remember he made Matt Moore look like Elway last year too vs bills.

There was nothing wrong with the run D. If you think the run D was a major reason for the loss I don't know what to tell you.

The D as a whole failed mostly because they were unable to make big plays or force the Jets into negative plays.

For instance, a holding penalty to an offense quite often ends up killing a drive but the Jets had very few offensive infractions. More disturbingly I don't remember the Bills getting any tackles for losses in the run game or the pass game.

My biggest gripe with this defense is the coaching. If you prescribe to the belief that talent is the only determinant of NFL success, you are wrong.

Any unit, be it offense or defense cannot be predictable if they hope to be successful. You cannot play vanilla schemes and win in the NFL. It's that simple.

Even talent-laden defenses like the Steelers and Ravens make it a point to be unpredictable and complex.

Is it not the height of arrogance/stupidity to think that you can just line up in a base scheme, rush 4 guys all the time, and outplay the offense?

What was plan B… or was the assumption that the Bills D would simply outplay the Jets O because of nothing more than talent?

When the Giants were unable to pressure Romo consistently last Thursday Night, they started blitzing more often.

Did the Bills blitz even once?

Wannstedt has given his critics plenty of ammunition. It's hard to imagine a defense with this much talent playing this poorly.

Well said. The failure to adjust was fatal. By the third drive, we should have been blitzing and playing tighter on the WR's.

GO BILLS!!!

I completely disagree. Stopping the run means not giving up any big runs, and hammering their runners for short gains. That was the best I've seen us play against the run in years. The number of attempts was so high because they were eating clock with a big lead. Greene got bottled up every play, Tebow was 5 carries for 11 yards.

After thinking about the game, and how the EVERYONE ran the ball at will on us last year, maybe the jests run game was our focus

NFL Team Rushing Defense Statistics - 2012

#21 - Buffalo with 118 yards - that I believe is the NFL norm.

NFL Team Rushing Offense Statistics - 2012

#1 - Buffalo with 169 yards

lol that means that the NYETS have the #32 Defense against the run.

Passing Defense Buffalo tied at 19 with 266 yards - middle of the pack

Total Defense yards

22 Buffalo 384

23 Jacksonville 389

Tie @

24 Tennessee 390

NY Jets 390

Game facts -

Fitz's putrid performance with 3 INT's, one a pick 6, a kick off return for 7 points, and the lost fumble (I stopped watching at that point). KILLED the Bills chances.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever