0-1 is all it is

RuntheDamnBall

I didn't disqualify it - I qualified it.

The point is that each of these teams are in some sense in the same boat and it won't matter if the Bills win 11 one-point games and lose 5 blowouts. And realistically, each of these teams might find that one loss meaning more in what is called a tougher conference.

If the Bills suck this bad through more than a couple of games, it'll be obvious that some changes need to be made. What I can't understand is how the same people who went through 5-1 Trent and last year's start know by the same token that this year's inauspicious start automatically speaks for the whole season. It's not baseball, but it's a long enough season that you can write off a bad opener and go back to the drawing board. I am much more intrigued to see how Gailey and this team in general responds to this ass-whupping than I am to hear people hear complain about it.

Tom Brady and the 2003 Patriots.

I understand the bolded point. But the teams you compared us to today were and are double digit win teams/Div champs/SB winners. They will still be that next week so their fans literally have nothing to worry about.

The Bills haven't been double digit winners this century and that was supposed to change this season. It may still happen, but as others have pointed out, we didn't lose a close thriller to a top team. We lost horribly to a team we absolutley could have beaten.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JUMP!

Not even close. If you think I am one of those knee jerk fans, get a clue. Bottom line is this team is a continuation of what we have seen for far too many years. A mediocre to poor QB, and a defense that can't make a stop when it has to. We will have occasional flashes as we normally do and probably win 6-8 games, depending. If you're happy with that, good on ya. I'm not.

I'm sorry, but this is total crap. For good teams, this is only 1 game. For teams that usually are expected to win, this is a fluke. For the Bills, this is who we are.

The Jets have done this to us for the past few years now. We were 6-10 last year.

Are you kidding me with this "only 1 game?" I see the people saying it, including Chan, and I'm tired of hearing it.

If this isn't an example of what are team is, within the GM, Coach, QB, and other players, I don't know what more you need to see.

We will win some games against teams equally horrible, get blown out by the playoff teams, and maybe pull out one upset win. With our schedule that's 8-8.

Not good enough in year three. THAT, is all that this is

Yeah I'm not kidding with its only one game. The hot starts of the past few years produced false expectations and heartbreak. You strike me as one of those people who thought the Bills were playoff bound last season despite evidence pointing to the contrary.

The reality of the situation is we walked into a buzz saw today against a team taking a lot of crap. This was their Super Bowl to an extent. We obviously didn't match the intensity. It sucks no doubt, but next week will be a far better measuring stick to see what type of team we are.

I understand the bolded point. But the teams you compared us to today were and are double digit win teams/Div champs/SB winners. They will still be that next week so their fans literally have nothing to worry about.

The Bills haven't been double digit winners this century and that was supposed to change this season. It may still happen, but as others have pointed out, we didn't lose a close thriller to a top team. We lost horribly to a team we absolutley could have beaten.

They definitely got punched in the mouth, let's put it that way. I am not sure that they could have beaten this Jets team (a much-maligned one, facing a Bills team being talked up - total red meat) in the home opener with rookies starting at LT, LCB, and possibly OLB. They got owned, no doubt. The onus is on them to improve, quickly. It'll be a test of the character of everyone on the team, and if you don't see better from them over the haul someone else will be coaching them and quarterbacking them, not necessarily in that order.

I think the one thing they really did reveal is how quickly turnovers can cause a game to get out of hand. They weren't necessarily out of it at the end of the first half or beginning of the second, but the Fitz turnovers just sapped the energy from the team. He knows this and if he can't control it, he'll be out of a job sooner rather than later.

As for BarkLess' quote, is this team a continuation of what we saw in the first seven weeks before injuries destroyed them last year? Because it certainly didn't remind me of them.

"It's only 0-1" is for everyone who cares enough to hope they'll get on the right track - and that includes the coaches who need to perform and evaluate and prepare their team better. It's a hell of a tall order. But if people want to whine about this being the same old Bills and suggest that none of the improvements the team made have any chance at being actual improvements, I suggest they look in the mirror and ask themselves what that's really going to accomplish.

Yeah I'm not kidding with its only one game. The hot starts of the past few years produced false expectations and heartbreak. You strike me as one of those people who thought the Bills were playoff bound last season despite evidence pointing to the contrary.

The reality of the situation is we walked into a buzz saw today against a team taking a lot of crap. This was their Super Bowl to an extent. We obviously didn't match the intensity. It sucks no doubt, but next week will be a far better measuring stick to see what type of team we are.

Yep, yep, yep.

How dare you be logical? And who are you to look at the big picture!

Don't you know that the sacred hours after the game are reserved for knee-jerk reactions that either say

1. We are awful and headed for the first pick in the draft.

or

2. SUPER BOWL ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!

Love it!

Its already been said. Not just 0-1. This was a division game. AND First game of the season with high expectations. If the Bills actually looked competent and didnt get beat into the ground so bad then it would have been just 0-1.

So football is now sort of like futures trading? I didn't realize this actually meant that we lost more games already. Dammit. I quit.

I'm with you RunTheDamnBall,

This board is always hard to read after a bad game but with all the expectations everyone had coming into the season it seems its even worse sucking in our season opener. A couple good wins and everyone will settle down hopefully. It's just annoying with all the people throwing in the towel after one game.

I didn't like how the Bills looked today. They were caught flat-footed, and the most concerning thing (beyond the turnovers, which are always concerning) was the play (or lack thereof) of the defense.

That said, this is just 0-1, people. Mario Williams is not yet a $100 million mistake. You will not win $100 million for being the first person to point it out.

Fitz looked terrible, but he has looked at turns terrible and terrific before. If this kind of play (with stupid, not gutsy turnovers, and bad reads) sustains itself over a few weeks, you're going to see the Bills make a move. But if they benched Fitz right now, it would be the kind of knee-jerk move that this team has been lambasted for before.

Freddy being hurt blows, but CJ looked pretty great minus the fumble. If he can keep his ball-control issues in check, he is going to be a great one.

I am far more concerned about losing a big and reliable target like David Nelson, and the fact that TJ Graham for some reason didn't see the field today. The decision-making regarding the WRs may come to hurt this team greatly, and I didn't sense the presence of vaunted gunner Ruvell Martin on the Jets' big punt return.

That said, the Saints are 0-1. The Packers are 0-1. The Super Bowl Champion Giants are 0-1. The Bills obviously have a lot more to prove than do these other teams, but posters who are on this board bellyaching and giving up on the season and preparing their "I told you so" missives are like so many rats jumping ship. Give it a rest. It's football, they'll win or they won't, and this was just one lousy game.

0-1. Let's get ready for the home opener and kick some ass next week.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Kansas City is known for great barbeque - personally, I'm looking forward to watching the Bills grill the Chiefs...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :thumbsup:

post-2970-0-75770400-1347281613_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Right, this is only one game. One game so far THIS year; how about it being just another signature game exactly like those over the past ten - twelve years? Is there a point where the light bulb goes on for you and you realize your money, your support, your presence at games deserve more than same old, same old?

If your mechanic screws up your car repairs, do you continue to take your car there year after year?

If you get consistently poor meals at a restaurant, do you continue to patronize the place?

If....

Granted, being a fan requires more than a passing allegiance to a team, but there comes a time when one should make an independent decision and acknowledge that the team just isn't very good, hasn't been very good, won't be very good until some fundamental changes take place, e.g., change in ownership, leadership, etc.

Although I am no longer inspired to think we're on the rise, I am going to withold judgement until I see the KC game.

If we do not respond from the embarassment of the Jets game with a well-planned, well-prepared, well-coached, well-executed effort (win or lose), at home in Sept with the ever-faithful fans rocking the house....

then we may be in for another looooooong season.....followed be regime change. I pray we bring it hard at home.

I understand that it's only one game but what are you basing your hope on that this is going to be any different than past seasons? The Bills still have the same below average QB lining up behind center every week. Fitzpatrick certainly is capable of coming out against KC and lighting it up. But you still have no clue what he'll do week 3. Inconsistency is not a reason to base hope on. A good winning QB has 1 maybe 2 bad games a year, Fitzpatrick has 6 to 7. And all the hoping, all the faith, and all the BILLieving isn't going to change that.

This is year 3 of the rebuild. This team now belongs exclusively to Nix and Gailey. No more excuses, this is the team they envisioned and built. How is it possible that a coach runs a spread offense with 5 receiver sets and only dresses 3 receivers for the game? Is this the kind of thinking that you base your hope on?

It wasn't just a stat, 0-1. It was an embarrassing showing for a team that got manhandled. It looked like the Buffalo Bills were the joke of the league again, and only a few Bills players looked like they really knew what they were doing on that field.

It wasn't just how poorly the players performed, it was they were out matched in almost every aspect.When Fitz threw the ball most of the time there was a green jersey right next to his receiver. When the Jets threw it there was a green jersey all by himself.

Coaches didn't have them ready, looked like a pro team playing a really bad team for most of the game

Although I am no longer inspired to think we're on the rise, I am going to withold judgement until I see the KC game.

If we do not respond from the embarassment of the Jets game with a well-planned, well-prepared, well-coached, well-executed effort (win or lose), at home in Sept with the ever-faithful fans rocking the house....

then we may be in for another looooooong season.....followed be regime change. I pray we bring it hard at home.

I think the Jets look to be an actual playoff worthy team with playoff worthy players and playoff worthy coaches who were highly motivated after getting the "bunch of clowns" treatment by the NY Post.

The Bills either answer the bell with a "statement" game against the Chiefs or it's going to be a long season. Amazingly going into week 2...the QB, defense and coaching staff have all put themselves on the hot seat. Next week's game will tell us if they're a playoff contending team or not. I know it sounds silly to say that in week 2, but I think that for this team at this time it'll be true. In the NFL, if you are a good team and you get embarrassed like that, you either answer the next week or you really are a bad team.

Yesterday was maybe the worst opener ever. It sucked monkey balls. I hate the Jets and wanted to send a message. We were awful in every phase of the game besides Spiller. That said, it's almost better to get slaughter than lose a heartbreaker. This hopefully is cold water on the faces of all those players. If they don't come out pissed off this Sunday, then it is really time to panic.

My advice to keep sane is to avoid all the doomsday threads and sports talk for the week. Just a quick glance here makes me want to blow my brains out. I was excited for this season as any in the past 12 years and I'm not going to give up because of 1 horrible game with 15 left to play. Hopefully, the Bills have more mental strength than a lot of fans.

Yesterday was maybe the worst opener ever. It sucked monkey balls. I hate the Jets and wanted to send a message. We were awful in every phase of the game besides Spiller. That said, it's almost better to get slaughter than lose a heartbreaker. This hopefully is cold water on the faces of all those players. If they don't come out pissed off this Sunday, then it is really time to panic.

My advice to keep sane is to avoid all the doomsday threads and sports talk for the week. Just a quick glance here makes me want to blow my brains out. I was excited for this season as any in the past 12 years and I'm not going to give up because of 1 horrible game with 15 left to play. Hopefully, the Bills have more mental strength than a lot of fans.

My sentiments exactly.