Bills bring back Ruvell Martin

nichebiche

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its special teams related why not easley after the 100 yard return ?

Because they have four other guys that are better than Easley at returning kicks for starters.

They needed a gunner because of the injuries to Brooks and Smith. They don't need a kick returner.

GO BILLS!!!

Because they have four other guys that are better than Easley at returning kicks for starters.

They needed a gunner because of the injuries to Brooks and Smith. They don't need a kick returner.

GO BILLS!!!

This.

Though I do believe we see Easley on the 53 man roster sometime this year when there is an injury of some sorts. With our luck, we know we won't go all season with no major WR injury.

Would have liked to see Hagan come back. I suppose there is a reason the guy can't stick on a roster,,,but of all the guys they cut, I liked him most, and thought he could contribute...I get the special teams angle...but how about the WR's who can catch the ball angle?

Actually as I mentioned in one of the numerous pre-draft wide receiver/roster threads, my friend who's a dyed-in-wool NY Giants fan says that Derek Hagan was on the Giants roster for 3 years solely because of his excellence as a special teams gunner. I don't recall if the Bills used him in that role but he apparently excelled at it at one time.

I'd rather have Martin over Roosevelt. Naaman is slow, and can't play special teams. I'm sure it was an easy choice.

I'm gonna nail you on a technicality… Roosevelt can play special teams… he's a decent punt returner.

I get why but so disappointed Naaman Roosevelt didn't get the call. Gailey values special teamers. It's the only reason to keep bringing back Martin. He certainly can't catch a ball.

PTR

Why not rip Roosevelt for not improving his ST play instead of ripping Martin as a WR? Neither one of them should see the field as a WR.

Why not rip Roosevelt for not improving his ST play instead of ripping Martin as a WR? Neither one of them should see the field as a WR.

Actually FWIW, Naaman bulked up this past offseason, going from 189 to 199.

While your second sentence might be true, it's not lack of work ethic which has kept Naaman Roosevelt from becoming a bona fide NFL player.

I personally was hoping they would have picked up one of the veteran WR's or players they liked scouting other teams that didn't make them. There where several WR's that have pretty good history, that may be on downside that was hoping they would sign to come in and help develop some of our younger receivers.

Yes they signed more for special team than anything else, and a mistake on special teams can change a game real quick, still would have been nice to see them sign another teams player.

I get why but so disappointed Naaman Roosevelt didn't get the call. Gailey values special teamers. It's the only reason to keep bringing back Martin. He certainly can't catch a ball.

PTR

It really doesn't matter. The difference is not that huge. Naman has played for the Bills the past two seasons and has 256 yards 1 TD. Also, no one is yet to pick him. If he was really that valuable, then he would have been picked as the #4 or #5 WR by others. I would have preferred to have Deon Branch who could have provided the Veteran leadership this group so sorely lacks.

According to ProFootballFocus Premium Stats:

QB Rating Fitz had in 2011 throwing to each receiver

Stevie Johnson--------------77.3

Namaan Roosevelt---------75.3

David Nelson----------------72.0

BRad Smith------------------61.0

Donald Jones---------------55.0

Derek Hagan----------------54.7

Ruvell Martin ----------------36.0

However, PFF also says that the two top Special Teams players on the Bills are Corey McIntyre and Ruvell Martin.

#3 is Chris White.

This is why I wish there was some GM out there who actually tried the Billy Bean thing in the NFL - using players based primarily on their stats, not their "intangibles." I mean, after the career Flutie had, there are still people who wouldn't give him a second look due to his size. How about just looking at the stats?

This is why I wish there was some GM out there who actually tried the Billy Bean thing in the NFL - using players based primarily on their stats, not their "intangibles." I mean, after the career Flutie had, there are still people who wouldn't give him a second look due to his size. How about just looking at the stats?

Because baseball plays a 162 game season while the NFL plays 16. Stats mean less with a small sample.

Also, while baseball is considered a team game, it's really a collection of individual performances. (hitting, fielding, pitching) Football is the ultimate team sport. How well you play depends a lot on your 10 teammates.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I would have preferred to have Deon Branch who could have provided the Veteran leadership this group so sorely lacks.

I think I like Stevie taking over that role, especially with him signed long term, and wouldn't want to bring in someone who might threaten that position.

Actually as I mentioned in one of the numerous pre-draft wide receiver/roster threads, my friend who's a dyed-in-wool NY Giants fan says that Derek Hagan was on the Giants roster for 3 years solely because of his excellence as a special teams gunner. I don't recall if the Bills used him in that role but he apparently excelled at it at one time.

All I know about Hagan, he was a tough dude...I thought he played really well in traffic, and just had a physical style that most of the other guys don't have...and he was catching a lot of Fitzys ugly passes at the end of the year...I will assume the coching staff has valid reasons, but to me, as a WR, he was a good notch above the others in that group of "fringe" guys. Not sure about his ST play, but I assume he stuck on the Giants as long as he did, for a reason. I just like him in our offense.