Darrelle Revis laughs off notion that Stevie Johnson has his number

uncle flap

Bills' wideout Stevie Johnson, first up for Revis on Sunday, has enjoyed the most success against the Jets' All-Pro cornerback. The perception that Johnson, who averaged a relatively modest 79.5 yards in two Buffalo losses last season, somehow owns Revis is enough to make the centerpiece of Gang Green's defense chuckle.

"That's the position I'm in," Revis told the Daily News. "The success that I've had is the reason why maybe people criticize me a different way. You just roll with the punches. I'm not panicking over nothing. I know how to play ball. I play great ball. I'm not panicking because a guy got 70 yards."

More here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/darrelle-revis-laughs-notion-stevie-johnson-ll-line-week-1-ny-jets-cornerback-number-article-1.1150069

Some Bulletin Board Material?

IMO, not really, but the fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about it means it's on their mind.

I'll grant that SJ does't necessarily "own" Revis, but he certainly fares much better against him than other top wideouts.

I believe in letting one's on-field play do the talking, but it would be kind of interesting if SJ shot back with a dig. Anyone think he might?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Revis said anything insulting or controversial. Even if he was a big trash talker, unlike most guys in the league he'd actually be able to back it up.

I hate the Jets but Revis is a flat-out stud. I hope Stevie continues his successs against Revis, but I'm sure Stevie is more worried about the matchup than Revis is. The numbers are a testament to SJ's skill, but we need to remember that Rex puts Revis on an island all game. So giving up 70 yards to a player while covering him one-on-one isn't exactly "having his number".

More here: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1150069

IMO, not really, but the fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about it means it's on their mind.

I'll grant that SJ does't necessarily "own" Revis, but he certainly fares much better against him than other top wideouts.

I believe in letting one's on-field play do the talking, but it would be kind of interesting if SJ shot back with a dig. Anyone think he might?

Id rather he shoot back with a few TDs

Stevie talked about being more mature this season. Speaking on the field is the mature way to handle it.

That's a classic example of downstate football reporting "a modest 79.5 yards average"

That would put you at 1272 yards receiving for the season. Only 8 receivers in the NFL topped that mark last year.

Then again, not many people from Jersey understand the word modest........

Revis is a damn good corner, which is one reason I think so highly of SJ. But having said that, SJ really loves to talk too much. I wish he would only let his play talk for him now he got all the press that helped get him that contract. That being said I hope we run and pass right at Revis again, it worked when we did it last year. Target the best player.

More here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/darrelle-revis-laughs-notion-stevie-johnson-ll-line-week-1-ny-jets-cornerback-number-article-1.1150069

I don't think Revis is going to come out and say any receiver owns him.

Revis didn't say anything inflammatory but he was still unnecessarily defensive. He should have thrown a few innocuous compliments Stevie's way and moved on. That's the difference between the Jets and the Patriots. Well, that and success.

Edited by Punch

The fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about means a reporter asked them a question about it and they answered. The story starts with Revis sitting at his locker. He didn't call a press conference to talk about Stevie Johnson. His team is playing the Bills this weekend and his city's newspaper reporter that covers the team obviously asked him if Stevie has his number, and Revis responded.

More here: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1150069

Im sure Stevies ready for the competition, but im sure he know better than to throw fuel on the fire of one of the top corners in the game.