Mark Asper claimed by Vikings

GoBills!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Complain about wasting those low picks when more than a couple better players were drafted around then or later. They can't all be Kyle Williams and they're not all going to be Tank Carder, either. You're hoping to get quality depth from your round 4-7 guys, with an occasional project with star qualities and some clear negatives. I'll be worried that the Bills drafted Mark Asper if six guys drafted later than him turn out to be significant NFL contributors.

Even then, the Bills hit often on their UDFAs and I am fine with that rate of success from their day 3 / UDFA players. They've gotten the likes of Stevie, Freddie, Kyle Williams, George Wilson, and David Nelson while spending two draft picks and three lottery tickets among them.

It's tough to not see better results from the draft, but it's only really tough if the guys whom they kept instead fail.

And again, be mad about the jokers who drafted Lynch (St. Marv, from the other thread). Don't be mad at the guys who traded a RB who, sure, works hard, but has tons of red flags and is one more incident from a year's suspension. Especially when superior talent is still on the roster.

OK, you got me Coach. Asper was drafted in the 6th. What Pro Bowl running back was traded for a 6th round draft pick?

Lynch was traded for a fourth and a fifth. Yesterday the Bills cut loose a fourth (Easley) and a fifth (Carder). Nix has yet to show me he knows what he is doing on draft day.

We're not supposed to complain about wasting low draft picks. But we're supposed to celebrate when we trade Pro Bowl running backs for those same low draft picks.

So I guess your point is you would rather have Lynch than Fred Jackson, right? Otherwise, not really sure what your point is. Lynch was not a good performer for the Bills when he was here. The bills also got a 4th which turned out to be Hairston I believe. 6th round picks do not always work out. Sometimes, players who you might like to bring back on the PS get claimed.

So I guess your point is you would rather have Lynch than Fred Jackson, right? Otherwise, not really sure what your point is. Lynch was not a good performer for the Bills when he was here. The bills also got a 4th which turned out to be Hairston I believe. 6th round picks do not always work out. Sometimes, players who you might like to bring back on the PS get claimed.

My point is I would like to see Nix make better use of his draft picks. His drafts have been horrible.

Coach Tuesday is just doing what he does.

PTR

Demonstrating exactly what he said, which is highlight that Nix on draft day isn't the esteemed talent evaluator some make him out to be. The 2010 draft is woefully thin on starting players now entering their 3rd seasons. I'll reserve judgement on 2011 because it's too soon, but there are indications the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders have some questions as well.

Lynch was traded for a fourth and a fifth. Yesterday the Bills cut loose a fourth (Easley) and a fifth (Carder). Nix has yet to show me he knows what he is doing on draft day.

Fair enough, I understand you now.

I don't think anyone can quibble at cutting Easley in his 3rd year. He caught some tough breaks, but it is what it is - he wasn't showing as much as the 4 who got kept, for sure. There's also the point that the 2010 draft board belonged to the previous regime.

Carder puzzles me because from his tweet about "wasn't the right fit" seems to imply a mistake in drafting him... you don't draft players who aren't a good fit for your team, right? So your point seems more applicable there. I can't fault a team for being willing to admit mistakes and cut their losses, though, as long as they don't make too many.

I still think the Lynch trade was a locker room attitude adjustment maneuver. But we'll never know for sure.

nix has been ok, but the bar was low to begin with. dareus was there, but picks like carrington, troupe, leave you wondering. it would be great to hit on them all, or even more than a few, but those drafts under levy and, modrak were brutal. i think the combo of free agency , stability with the coaching staff has helped. nelson, jones, were great finds. it is just a crapshoot and anybody that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

it is an obvious reference to the lynch trade.. please.. we all know the pick number wasnt a sixth, do you get off correcting people?

In this case, I'd venture you are the one further out of line in correcting someone. Lynch was traded for two higher picks than the player the threads about. Further on coachs correction, he implies that somehow Easley being hurt for two years was foreseeable by any GM. Last it ignores both lynchs baggage and impending free agency.

Coach was way off base with his comment.

Time will obviously tell, but it was not my expectation this year that all the Bills draft picks would make the team. What you should expect after 3 years is that enough quality depth is being built that it is difficult for low round draft picks and undrafted free agents to make this team. This was not the case 3 years ago - they all made it- whether they were ultimately NFL quality players or not. Some people on this board seem to believe that each and every draft pick should be a sure fired winner. The fact is it is always a crap shoot and any team that finds more than two or three quality long term contributors in any given draft is indeed very lucky.

In this case, I'd venture you are the one further out of line in correcting someone. Lynch was traded for two higher picks than the player the threads about. Further on coachs correction, he implies that somehow Easley being hurt for two years was foreseeable by any GM. Last it ignores both lynchs baggage and impending free agency.

wow! you are good! i will suggest that you become the official fact checker on here. cracks me up that so many on here are so concerned about jumping on somebody's A$$ about minor inaccuracies. who cares? most on here are expressing thoughts, opinions, and most that read them get the gist!

My point was not about the Lynch trade - it was about the misperception that we should stock up on draft picks because Nix knows what to do with them. He doesn't. There have been more players released from the last three draft classes than there are starters. Nix is three drafts in and yet is still scrambling to fill key holes like backup QB and no. 2 WR. He has yet to draft a QB who can play. I just don't see where he gets this reputation as a maverick drafter. It's a joke.