Four WRs?

I just found that article.

http://www.buffaloru...ler-chan-gailey

I thought it was kind of interesting. The Bills averaged 6.2 yards per carry using 2 backs.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized that the Bills used two backs so effectively (6.2 ypc) or so often (21% of the time). It's funny what you notice and remember.

Maybe they do indeed plan to use two backs more often this year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm sure Chan & Buddy are up to something I just don't see yet.

I do get the four QBs, though. T Jack doesn't know the offense yet and Chan likes to suit up Smith as the #3 QB because he's multidimensional. But only 4 WRs? Despite all the good theories presented in this thread thus far, I'm still scratching my head and wondering what comes next.

Dickerson is more of a WR than on the line TE. Then they have used spiller and smith.

It sounds as if you want buffalo to go and trade for someone's starting second receiver...good luck with that. The only example of that seen was when bolden get traded by the cardinals to the ravens.

Dickerson is more of a WR than on the line TE. Then they have used spiller and smith.

It sounds as if you want buffalo to go and trade for someone's starting second receiver...good luck with that. The only example of that seen was when bolden get traded by the cardinals to the ravens.

Actually, I am not convinced at all that we'll go look for another WR. We kept 3 TEs including Dickerson the H Back. So I'm think there might be combination of things going on:

* more two back sets since we had success with that last year

* more of Spiller split out as a wideout so we have two of our best players (FredEx and CJ) on the field at the same time.

* Dickerson on the field as an H back

That's my guess but it's just a shot in the dark based on nothing more than speculation about who was cut, wasn't cut, and why. It could be something else entirely (like a trade in the works for another WR).

I keep hearing this mentioned but I'm still trying to figure out why in the world Thigpen would agree to this. Why would he agree to give up most of his salary only to be cut anyway after the Jets game? Also, I think it would show remarkable disrespect to Thigpen if the Bills cut him right before the opener so that he didn't have a chance to look for a long term opportunity with another team before having to resign with the Bills for a pay cut.

NFLPA negotiate things like that, if they wanted to prevent this from happening they could increase the number of days from cuts to first game freezing rosters but they would probably have to give up something else.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized that the Bills used two backs so effectively (6.2 ypc) or so often (21% of the time). It's funny what you notice and remember.

I really do think the Bills intend to run more. That is why they brought in an Hback which theoretically is a cross between a TE and FB. Dickerson can catch, but I don't really see him as a great blocker. That's what is so confusing. At the same time, the Bills have been trying to get Corey McIntyre involved more with pass catching. Though he isn't great at it, he's a good blocker. It seems to me they are looking to utilize a player's strengths but also be able use them in other roles as well. Someone else pointed out that there are 9 or 10 guys who can catch the ball on this team even with only 4 WRs. I kind of think this is what Chan wants. A bunch of guys who can do multiple things, making it very difficult to sniff out a play.

I remember someone last year on this board was complaining that every time Corey was lined up, it was a run play. In the off season Corey was getting a bunch of practice catching the ball. Dickerson is known for catching but they brought in a TE coach who stresses blocking. The more I look at it, the more I think the Bills have a plan. Almost every skill player can do more than one thing. Let them play the run and then pass. Let them play the pass and then run etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if we ran a little more this year. A lot of fans complain that we didn't run a lot more last year but from the time Kyle and Merriman went out, our defense could not stop anyone. If we wanted to have any chance in most games we had to run the spread and try to score 25-30 points, and we most often had to go the length of the field.

This year, with the defense likely to be far better, and with better field position from stops as well as turnovers, we can afford to run a little more. Still, it's a pass first offense, and we won't be able to run so easily, with big holes, if we don't play in the spread and pass the majority of the time.

For the record, Chan reiterated what I and others have been saying in this thread today...

Gailey on the decision to keep backup quarterbacks Tyler Thigpen, Tarvaris Jackson and Brad Smith: "The injury to Brad, Tarvaris not being here but a short amount of time, all of that played into it. ... I have a hard time going into a game without a third guy that can take a snap, and we didn't know if we’d have Brad this week or not."

Does this mean we can expect to see CJ more at wideout?

Does Chan & Nix think we can pick up a FA WR better than the ones we cut?

Is Chan planning on using less 4 WR sets this year and maybe run the ball more?

What do you guys think???

All of the above

All of the above

Does Chandler get a bigger role?

Does Corey McIntyre catch some balls?

Will Dorin D. be used in the passing game?

Will having TE/FB/H-backs more active disguise whether the play is pass or run?

Will Fred and CJ run the dang ball more?

Will the world come to an end if we beat the Tebow lead NYJs?

We saw Gailey running a good amount of two TE sets with Chandler and Smith on the field this pre-season. I would not be suprised to see a more run oriented offense this year.

We saw Gailey running a good amount of two TE sets with Chandler and Smith on the field this pre-season. I would not be suprised to see a more run oriented offense this year.

This

I would love to see the Bills run the rock more.

From the Associated Press:

Buffalo cut five receivers on Friday. Coach Chan Gailey warned that what one sees now isn't necessarily what one will get next Sunday when Buffalo opens against the Jets.

''You've been around (general manager) Buddy (Nix) and I long enough to know that nothing's ever set,'' Gailey said following a brief walk through on Saturday afternoon. ''We're always looking for different ways to improve our team.''

I think sometime between now and Sept 9th either Tavaraus Jackson or Tyler Thipen will be cut freeing up another spot As long as they are cut prior to game 1 they don't qualify for the full years pay, so then like you bring back another WR. It also may be they plan to do some special things with Dorin Dickerson that would line him up outside too. I also doubt John Potter will last the full year unless the team stays very healthy. At some point, they likely will need that roster spot.

This^^ I see a lot of two back two TE 1 WR sets this year. We run to throw, and sometimes throw to run. :)

See how easy that was?

Tim-

Actually, I am not convinced at all that we'll go look for another WR. We kept 3 TEs including Dickerson the H Back. So I'm think there might be combination of things going on:

* more two back sets since we had success with that last year

* more of Spiller split out as a wideout so we have two of our best players (FredEx and CJ) on the field at the same time.

* Dickerson on the field as an H back

That's my guess but it's just a shot in the dark based on nothing more than speculation about who was cut, wasn't cut, and why. It could be something else entirely (like a trade in the works for another WR).

Maybe. I'm curious about final roster moves. Some of the recent cuts have me scratching my head. I still think they are not finished looking for more talent to add.

That's because to read this board, you're fed the "Chan is pass happy" crap until you choke on it. People just speak out their asses without knowing diddly poo. I expect to see a lot of 21 or 22 personnel groupings this season.

All the recievers cut were of about equal quality and fairly unknown to other teams, and I don't see any other clubs scooping them up. And if some do get picked up, the ones still available ( if we need them) will be ready when we call. We will see some familiar faces before the season is through.