Why would any team volunteer to be on “Hard Knocks?”

I like the show. It’s fun watching some of the behind the scenes stuff, but I wonder why any coaching staff would want the added distraction of having film crews around. Also, there’s the (admittedly small) disadvantage of giving your opponents a little extra film on your guys.

As much as I would love seeing the Bills up close and personal in training camp, I’m glad they don’t go in for stuff like this.

Is it just an attention grab for certain egomaniacal coaches and gm's? I can't figure it out.

Bills should do it I would love to see it. It doesn't do anything bad ... no extra film of any merit to help other teams these guys are pros no meaningful distraction that actually effects camp and work all that stuff is overblown...Hardknocks is entertaining and I would love to see my team on it. There's no reason teams should be so opposed to being on the show....it's really no big deal.

Bills should do it I would love to see it. It doesn't do anything bad ... no extra film of any merit to help other teams these guys are pros no meaningful distraction that actually effects camp and work all that stuff is overblown...Hardknocks is entertaining and I would love to see my team on it. There's no reason teams should be so opposed to being on the show....it's really no big deal.

Its a huge distraction. Try going to work with a camera fallowing you around, for a month. On all your meetings, all your phone calls, all your practices, everywhere. Its not big deal to the people that watch it, but if a camera was fallowing you around all day, you would find it distracting

It's a purely financial decision. A team like Miami, with a notoriously fickle fan base, that isn't doing well coming out of last season and going into this one, is looking at a revenue loss vis a vis ticket sales, blackouts, merchandise, and especially commercial air time. If the ratings for their televised games go down, so does the per second rate for television sponsorship. I would think a show like Hard Knocks would be viewed by Miami's marketing division as having serious potential to boost their ratings. I would be interested to know what those numbers were.

Its a huge distraction. Try going to work with a camera fallowing you around, for a month. On all your meetings, all your phone calls, all your practices, everywhere. Its not big deal to the people that watch it, but if a camera was fallowing you around all day, you would find it distracting

I live in Los Angeles. I work in television, and do a fair amount of reality tv. In fact, as I write this, I am sitting at my desk on the television show, "Hell's Kitchen." You are absolutely right about the distraction. But, it's not just one camera following you around. It is likely that there are anywhere from 8 to 15 camera operators working at any given time as well as numerous robo-cams and surveillance cams. Add to that lighting techs, sound techs, assistant directors, production assistants, etc., and you have a veritable circus in your midst.

You'll never see anyone complaining about it on the show (obviously), but you better believe that the players and coaches are hating it.

No big distraction? Puhleaaassee

It's a purely financial decision. A team like Miami, with a notoriously fickle fan base, that isn't doing well coming out of last season and going into this one, is looking at a revenue loss vis a vis ticket sales, blackouts, merchandise, and especially commercial air time. If the ratings for their televised games go down, so does the per second rate for television sponsorship. I would think a show like Hard Knocks would be viewed by Miami's marketing division as having serious potential to boost their ratings. I would be interested to know what those numbers were.

"You know what else would draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his a$$." -Shooter McGavin

Agreed, it's a money and attention grab by an otherwise pretty irrelevant team.