What's wrong with the GOP?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!

But you can't deny the problem, or deny the fact that nobody addresses it head on. When was the last time you saw a PSA that warned against the ill effects of single motherhood? How bout a proclamation from an elected official that tells the ladies to be more responsible? Something, anything that comes right out and says: stop having unprotected sex if you don't have the means/desire to raise a kid in a stable, two-parent home?

This is a real problem our society faces but it's such a hands-off issue because nobody wants to address the problem by actually identifying it.

But you can't deny the problem, or deny the fact that nobody addresses it head on. When was the last time you saw a PSA that warned against the ill effects of single motherhood? How bout a proclamation from an elected official that tells the ladies to be more responsible? Something, anything that comes right out and says: stop having unprotected sex if you don't have the means/desire to raise a kid in a stable, two-parent home?

This is a real problem our society faces but it's such a hands-off issue because nobody wants to address the problem by actually identifying it.

It's a symptom of several problems that dovetail into one. Solve the other problems, you'll find this one far less taxing. Pun intended. Whatever the answer, I assure you the solution is not waging war on single mothers.

It's a symptom of several problems that dovetail into one. Solve the other problems, you'll find this one far less taxing. Pun intended. Whatever the answer, I assure you the solution is not waging war on single mothers.

No, but at the very least there could be an awareness campaign that dissuades the state of single-motherhood before it even becomes a problem. Once the deed is done--you're right--they shouldn't be vilified for their plight. That doesn't mean it can't be preempted though.

No, but at the very least there could be an awareness campaign that dissuades the state of single-motherhood before it even becomes a problem. Once the deed is done--you're right--they shouldn't be vilified for their plight. That doesn't mean it can't be preempted though.

Because a hyperbolic fear campaign is always the solution.

\

Step one is to remove the welfare incentive program that rewards welfare mothers with more money for having more children.

Because a hyperbolic fear campaign is always the solution.

C'mon. That's like saying we should never prepare for a hurricane because of the Katrina fallout. Unfair comparison, and you know it.

Not to mention, the "war on drugs" was a moving target, it attacked a crime pestilence by going after a symptom, not the cause.

We're talking about the exact opposite.

\

Step one is to remove the welfare incentive program that rewards welfare mothers with more money for having more children.

Totally agree that it's a step, but I hesitate to agree it's step ONE.

C'mon. That's like saying we should never prepare for a hurricane because of the Katrina fallout. Unfair comparison, and you know it.

Not to mention, the "war on drugs" was a moving target, it attacked a crime pestilence by going after a symptom, not the cause.

We're talking about the exact opposite.

100% disagree. Single motherhood is a symptom of several other problems -- not a problem in and of itself.

I didn't say you were, you said the GOP had a gender gap issue, so I'm asking you if the Dem's do to?

No one in the Democratic party that I know of (which doesn't count for much admittedly) is advocating taking kids away from single mothers because they're single mothers.

No one in the Democratic party that I know of (which doesn't count for much admittedly) is advocating taking kids away from single mothers because they're single mothers.

That's not what I asked, you said that the GOP has a gender problem, and considering the polls are dead even, and that there are only two genders, if the GOP has a gender problem, then I guess that means.....

Am I missing something here? Who's advocating taking kids away from single mothers? I think WT is asking if the dems have a gender gap with men? For Team Pathetic here, what I'm really asking is if the dems have a gender gap with real men?

\

I'd actually take the opposite tack and have step one to provide incentives for being married. (And if the federal government is gearing tax policy to support marriage, I am fine with providing civil unions with the same tax incentives.)

BC's PSA's extolling the problems that single mothers face and why single girls/women should try to avoid that sounds ok as an additional step.

Am I missing something here? Who's advocating taking kids away from single mothers? I think WT is asking if the dems have a gender gap with men? For Team Pathetic here, what I'm really asking is if the dems have a gender gap with real men?

I should re-clarify: it started with OC's post, specifically this section--

Of all the problems in the country...why isn't single motherhood the #1 target of the GOP? Every single program the GOP hates has single motherhood as a root cause...somewhere in it. Even if they were cynical about it, married women vote for the GOP 2/1.

I realize OC doesn't speak for the entire GOP. But I found his to be personally horrific and also factually incorrect.

That's not what I asked, you said that the GOP has a gender problem, and considering the polls are dead even, and that there are only two genders, if the GOP has a gender problem, then I guess that means.....

I didn't know the polls were dead even. In that case I was wrong. Can you link me? Thanks!

Actually, it IS step one because it's far easier to implement than advocating for 2-parent families, and mostly because there's no financial reward for having a kid.