NFL Game Rewind/Coaches Film/All22

So I just purchased the NFL.com game rewind for the upcoming season. I had it last year and loved it. As most know, this year they added the "Coaches Film" option to it for the whole game, and for the first time, when they used to show about 20 plays a game last year (which I didnt even notice let alone watch).

I wanted to give my observations of the service once I used it for a bit.

1] Overall, I would advise it for anyone as an overall package and deal. $70 for the entire 2012 season.

2] But you can also go back and watch the 2011 season, too, and maybe earlier. I just watched the Bills beating the Pats in Week three with the Coaches Film option.

3] It's not really what I expected, but is worse in some ways and better in some ways, and again I think it's well worth the money.

4] It's not really All22, but more like Most 16, you don't see the wideouts at the snap, although as soon as the play starts, if they are involved you see them.

5] They show two angles of every play, the high mid field view like coaches would see from up in the press box, and then immediately the high endzone All22 view.

6] There is no sound, so it's a little strange watching it, and it's hard to tell what some players are doing. You have to watch it over and over just to see who made the tackle or catch sometimes, but there is a 10 sec forward button and 10 sec backward button which is nice.

7] It all happens really fast, and then they go to the next play, so again, a lot of times you really don't know who did what unless you watch it several times, and without the announcers calling the game, sometimes it's hard to say if like, McKelvin (21), McGee (24) Aaron Williams (23), Drayton Florence (29) for example made the play right away.

8] Some stuff is awesome to see how the line works or doesn't work, and especially how hard it is to play QB. Fitz makes some amazing throws in this game.

9] The whole game, with two views of each play, can be seen in one hour, which is great. But there are a lot of plays that you have to watch several times to know what really happened.

10] Apparently for this season there is a little telestrator option available where you can diagram plays for your friends like analysts do. Not sure how many will use it but it's cool they offer.

11] Just being able to watch the games from the broadcast version, the condensed 30 minute version, or the coaches film version is well worth the money. A great deal as far as I am concerned.

12] I agree with some of the criticisms that it's going to cause more gray area arguing about plays than clarity but it's coo that we as fans get to see this crap.

Kudos to the NFL for this offer. Money well spent, IMO. Considering one day at Disneyland for a 6 year old is like $84. The whole NFL season, plus earlier seasons, is $65.

Thx Kelley. I have also ordered it, but have not used it yet. I know most coaches and "experts" say their big fear is that we do not know the assignments on every play..and therefore what looks like a sily mistake on the film is not actually a mistake.

So I just purchased the NFL.com game rewind for the upcoming season. I had it last year and loved it. As most know, this year they added the "Coaches Film" option to it for the whole game, and for the first time, when they used to show about 20 plays a game last year (which I didnt even notice let alone watch).

(...)

Kudos to the NFL for this offer. Money well spent, IMO. Considering one day at Disneyland for a 6 year old is like $84. The whole NFL season, plus earlier seasons, is $65.

Thanks for the review, Kelly. Ignorant question: is this a computer service, or do you have to have cable or satellite TV to use it?

Personally, I will be ordering and watching this all the time. I love the X's and O's of football. I see the game as a "chess match" and being able to see the route trees open up and the combinations is going to be fascinating. Unfortunately, I just started a new job and I'm not getting paid for another couple of weeks so I'll have to wait to order, but I cannot wait!

Thx Kelley. I have also ordered it, but have not used it yet. I know most coaches and "experts" say their big fear is that we do not know the assignments on every play..and therefore what looks like a sily mistake on the film is not actually a mistake.

That's a valid concern by the coaches but not a new one. Fans have been making assessments without context for years. I always feel sorry for the DB who shows up late in the frame. He often incurs the wrath of the fan for getting beat on the play. And don't get me started on OL mistakes.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the review, Kelly. Ignorant question: is this a computer service, or do you have to have cable or satellite TV to use it?

It's a computer service but it's easy to buy a wire to hook your laptop or tablet or even desktop (if it's closeby) to your TV to watch it on your TV. Sometimes I do that.

Thanks for the review. I've had Game Rewind in the past and loved it. Certainly thinking about renewing now with the new features. Quick random question, and after reading I think I'll be disappointed with the answer, but are preseason games included?

Thanks for the review. I've had Game Rewind in the past and loved it. Certainly thinking about renewing now with the new features. Quick random question, and after reading I think I'll be disappointed with the answer, but are preseason games included?

No. The preseason package is $20. I did see, however, that if you buy the game rewind, you can go back to last year, 2010, and 2009 I think.

Thanks Kelly. Do they have graphics showing down and distance before each play?

What they do is take a quick shot of the scoreboard before each play so you know down and distance and the score and time.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

The NFL Game Rewind App is now available on the IPad.

All the app currently shows is a countdown until whatever week 1 game you have selected.

I played around with the iPad app a bit yesterday; it allows you to go back to 2011 (including playoffs) but nothing earlier. It's pretty slick; I haven't tried the telestrator option or saved any clips but I can see myself going back the day after a game this year to review specific plays on the coaches film and perhaps mark them up to send to friends, etc.

As the OP noted, it is strange to watch the coaches film clips with no sound, but it's really interesting. The 10 second FF and REW buttons are crucial; it would have been very difficult to watch without this.

One feature not noted in the OP is that if you're watching the coaches film you can select any specific play on the play-by-play list and go directly to it. This is great for just picking out a few plays you wanted to analyze. "Big" plays (turnovers, scores) are denoted with colorful icons for easy spotting.

Totally agree with this being a super deal.