Russell Wilson to start Friday

People love to ignore simple facts from this very good prior post. If Wilson goes on to do anything in the NFL, it will be against the odds. It's easy to sit back today and say that Bills should have drafted "X". There is no question that they needed a WR. I don't think there's any doubt that Gilmore was the right pick in the first round and that passing on Glenn in round 2 would have been a huge mistake. That leaves them moving up to grab a position of need. They did not need a project to sit on the bench for a year with the possibility that they might need a QB next year. If you actually go back and look at 3rd round WR's drafted over the last 10 years, you will see lots of guys that have had success in the NFL. A far greater amount of success than 3rd round QB's. ...

Not only needed a receiver, they needed a true speed receiver to take the top off defenses. Contrary to the opinion of some igmos, a vertical threat is critical to success when running a spread offense. It changes things for the defense. If Graham can show even the hint of being a threat while he develops (he was raw coming out), it will be worth it.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said, he's played better than Graham in preseason, and while I think that Flynn starts the season there without any question, Wilson has certainly opened eyes.

He's better than Flutie ever was. He also posted much better stats in college than Flutie and he's more athletic.

My comparison has been to Graham, and I find it to be funny that you dismiss Wilson in the NFL for standard reasons, but that you don't apply those same standard reasons to why Graham will all but assuredly not be worth a 3rd round pick. Can you explain the gap in consistency of your argument and logic there?

For starters, Wilson and Graham play different positions, so to compare their performances is silly. As a QB, Wilson touches the ball on every play so he has more chances to make plays, whereas Graham is at the mercy of his QB getting him the ball. Frankly I'm not surprised Wilson looked good considering he was an excellent college QB and the guys he played against in pre-season pretty much represent the competition he faced there. But playing against starters in the NFL is another level entirely. I'm curious to see how he does tomorrow night, so this will be my last post on this topic until then.

As for Graham, he caught 5 passes for 106 yards from Thigpen and Young, which is an impressive 21.2 YPC. And while that was (with and) against backups, he's got the ability to get off the LOS and get open against any CB in the NFL because of his elite speed, quickness, intelligence, and work ethic. If it were up to me, he'd be starting over Jones. But whether he proves to be worth a 3rd depends on what he does, and we may not find out this year. But the same can be said for Wilson.

And as for "dismiss[ing] Wilson for standard reasons," far more WR's of Graham's size, speed have succeeded in the NFL compared to sub-6' QB's. Which is the point I was trying to make. But I did not say that Wilson would be a bust. I said he's a rookie, hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet, and it will take a few years to evaluate him.

For starters, Wilson and Graham play different positions, so to compare their performances is silly. As a QB, Wilson touches the ball on every play so he has more chances to make plays, whereas Graham is at the mercy of his QB getting him the ball. Frankly I'm not surprised Wilson looked good considering he was an excellent college QB and the guys he played against in pre-season pretty much represent the competition he faced there. But playing against starters in the NFL is another level entirely. I'm curious to see how he does tomorrow night, so this will be my last post on this topic until then.

As for Graham, he caught 5 passes for 106 yards from Thigpen and Young, which is an impressive 21.2 YPC. And while that was (with and) against backups, he's got the ability to get off the LOS and get open against any CB in the NFL because of his elite speed, quickness, intelligence, and work ethic. If it were up to me, he'd be starting over Jones. But whether he proves to be worth a 3rd depends on what he does, and we may not find out this year. But the same can be said for Wilson.

And as for "dismiss[ing] Wilson for standard reasons," far more WR's of Graham's size, speed have succeeded in the NFL compared to sub-6' QB's. Which is the point I was trying to make. But I did not say that Wilson would be a bust. I said he's a rookie, hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet, and it will take a few years to evaluate him.

I can't help but think how much better Wilson would look if he was throwing to a receiver like Graham this preseason.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't help but think how much better Wilson would look if he was throwing to a receiver like Graham this preseason.

GO BILLS!!!

One could make the argument that russell wilson was actually holding graham back in college, given that graham's best collegiate season was last year.

People love to ignore simple facts from this very good prior post. If Wilson goes on to do anything in the NFL, it will be against the odds. It's easy to sit back today and say that Bills should have drafted "X". There is no question that they needed a WR. I don't think there's any doubt that Gilmore was the right pick in the first round and that passing on Glenn in round 2 would have been a huge mistake. That leaves them moving up to grab a position of need. They did not need a project to sit on the bench for a year with the possibility that they might need a QB next year. If you actually go back and look at 3rd round WR's drafted over the last 10 years, you will see lots of guys that have had success in the NFL. A far greater amount of success than 3rd round QB's.

In this case, Carroll said himself that he's being unconventional. Normally the starter for the season starts the first 3 quarters of game 3. In his words: "This is about competition. That’s what we’ve always been about. If somebody doesn’t see it that way, then they just don’t understand us.” Wilson isn't necessarily the starter for the regular season. This is just a chance for Carroll to see what he can do against a first team defense, which he hasn't faced yet.

Also, Pete has been awful at the whole "get my qb" game. Tjack, the big trade and contract for whitehurst, and I don't like the Flynn move - suddenly we trust him on Wilson?

He did groom some excellent picks in Leinart and Sanchez though!

Edited by NoSaint

Also, Pete has been awful at the whole "get my qb" game. Tjack, the big trade and contract for whitehurst, and I don't like the Flynn move - suddenly we trust him on Wilson?

He did groom some excellent picks in Leinart and Sanchez though!

Actually Leinhart got a raw deal in Arizona. Im sorry but given the complex defenses out there it take a QB longer than a season to become good. He was actually doing well for his level of experience but he has Kurt Warner on his team. He had a great opportunity last year because Shaub went down.

Sanchez is ssstill young as a QB and playing in the pressure cooker of NNYC with Tebow as a backup will be a disaster for him this year. I am willing to bet had he gone to another team not in NYC he would be a good QB.

I think you need 4 yrs for a QB to fully develop.

As for the Wilson pick....you want to argue the woulda couldah shouldah...have at it....the Bills concerns were more on a WR than a QB in terms of need. Draftting someone 3rd round or higher puts implied pressure on the starting QB.

Does he have potential---sure---but you need execution---and that is the difference. many players show these flashes or one year wonders then neve show it again.

The NFL is a business. The sea-hags have committed a dump truck of money to the success of Matt Flynn, who comes highly touted, and possesses valuable NFL experience. -At 5' 10" 3/4, rookie Russell Wilson should not win this this battle.

Strangely, someone forgot to give Rusell that memo.

There's a chance that Wilson feels he won't get to start in September. Still, the kid is a winner. He wants to leave no question in the minds of his doubters as who the best QB on the team is. I expect him to etch that in cement later on this evening. He's also planting a seed in the minds of other organizations as to his upside and potential.

Pete Carroll recognized immediately the type of competitior that Wilson is. This kid simply will not stop until he has it all. In addition to providing an impetus to Flynn, Caroll is also doing due-diligence in his investigation of Wilson's ability. Regardless of tonight's outcome, I would not expect an official decision to come until the start of the season. Carroll doesn't have to give the media anything, and shouldn't rush to do so. -CAN'T WAIT to see this kid go with the starters!

I just watched the first half of the Seahawks game against KC and Russell Wilson was fantastic. He only missed a couple of throws, had two TDs, four long drives, two long scrambles. He was very good. I don't see how they won't start him right away. I usually hate the idea of small QBs but I would definitely have drafted Wilson, and said so. He looks even better than I expected, but he's got a cannon, very smart, very accurate, can run, can run an offense, and really knows how to mask his height deficiency. 90% of smallish QBs can't,

I just watched the first half of the Seahawks game against KC and Russell Wilson was fantastic. He only missed a couple of throws, had two TDs, four long drives, two long scrambles. He was very good. I don't see how they won't start him right away. I usually hate the idea of small QBs but I would definitely have drafted Wilson, and said so. He looks even better than I expected, but he's got a cannon, very smart, very accurate, can run, can run an offense, and really knows how to mask his height deficiency. 90% of smallish QBs can't,

Yep. The game isn't too big for this kid. Very impressive. Carroll would have a tough time convincing the locker room that Wilson isn't his starter. Flynn's gonna get great back-up money.

I hope your post can serve as a way to say nice things about a player without having to denigrate another. But I'm fully expecting it.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Good to hear. I'd love to see him succeed. Hopefully he keeps taking steps. It's still a big gap between this and the real tests but he's on a good track still.

I'd take him over Fitz.

That's also an easy way to end up with a Kevin kolb, rob Johnson or possibly even Matt Flynn too. Mid rounders often flash talent (they are good) but then show why they weren't top picks over the long haul.

Heck, even Trent was a great training camp tease.

The decks still stacked but he's not out of the game by any means either though.

That's also an easy way to end up with a Kevin kolb, rob Johnson or possibly even Matt Flynn too. Mid rounders often flash talent (they are good) but then show why they weren't top picks over the long haul.

The decks still stacked but he's not out of the game by any means either though.

As opposed to the 7th round pick who has looked good in about 5 games in his 7 year career.

Sure. However if we had a Brady* instead of a Fitz, I probably would not be pining for Wilson. My wishing we had drafted Wilson is, in itself, a bashing of Fitz. So I guess my answer is "no".

Edited by Marauder24

Wilson looked good. But I agree it's still to early to say anything.

Agreed. But Wilson really does it all. He did it all in college at two different schools. He has looked good all three games. I am a big believer that pre-season games don't mean anything, especially for a team, but every single time I have seen the guy in any situation, on and off the field, i have been very impressed. The difference between him and other small guys is that he really has a rocket for an arm, and he has no weaknesses. He's short but he doesnt get passes blocked at the line. I am not at all saying he's going to be an all-pro as a rookie. I expect him to struggle a lot. But I think this guy is going to be a very good NFL QB in the future, and it may be quicker than people imagined. He's really impressive.

I just watched Tannehill for a half too and he struggled a lot. But he had little chance. He made a few bad throws and never got any momentum going, although he had a nice pass on 3rd and goal which he fired in a tight window that should have been a TD that was dropped. Plus it was raining, and he has crappy receivers overall.

Sure. However if we had a Brady* instead of a Fitz, I probably would not be pining for Wilson. My wishing we had drafted Wilson is, in itself, a bashing of Fitz. So I guess my answer is "no".

I guess I'm less interested in the fact that you wish we had Wilson, and more curious to hear more takes on the +/- qualities of his game.

So far I've heard short or he'd be top 5, but even top 5 guys have knocks (other than luck?). Odd that this kid has no discussed negatives at all besides height.

Leads me to believe scouts saw something that we haven't heard or seen ourselves with him.

Agreed. But Wilson really does it all. He did it all in college at two different schools. He has looked good all three games. I am a big believer that pre-season games don't mean anything, especially for a team, but every single time I have seen the guy in any situation, on and off the field, i have been very impressed. The difference between him and other small guys is that he really has a rocket for an arm, and he has no weaknesses. He's short but he doesnt get passes blocked at the line. I am not at all saying he's going to be an all-pro as a rookie. I expect him to struggle a lot. But I think this guy is going to be a very good NFL QB in the future, and it may be quicker than people imagined. He's really impressive.

I just watched Tannehill for a half too and he struggled a lot. But he had little chance. He made a few bad throws and never got any momentum going, although he had a nice pass on 3rd and goal which he fired in a tight window that should have been a TD that was dropped. Plus it was raining, and he has crappy receivers overall.

I like Wilson too. I just feel like something is not quite lining up in the story yet. I havent seen a ton but if forced for a midrounder qb to succeed this year back in march... he probably would've been my pick. On the flip side, history tells us to bet against the field from the 3rd on.

It'll be fun to watch him. I hope he gets a fair shot, and good health and we get to see what he's made of.

You've never heard of Wilson's intangibles? Great leader, smart kid, accurate, poised, fantastic feet, smart scrambler, fast. I suppose since you haven't heard them though, they can't possibly exist.

That's all I hear. And rocket arm. Add two inches and put him top 5. What are the pros and cons vs his now elite peers.... Or are we saying with 2 inches he's as safe a bet and a once a generation qb like luck and manning with no holes?