The Onside Kick

Answer me this, please.

If we decide to keep Potter solely for KO's, is it correct to think that he will be the onside kick guy too?

I can imagine many a scenario where we'd want Lindell for that, especially for veteran experiences' sake.

Obviously you'd be telegraphing your intent by putting Lindell in on a kickoff, right?

Does it add to that element of surprise by having Potter do it? (the onside kick)

I know it's a pretty miniscule part of the game, but some here are into that. Some others, not so much...

You would assume that it would have to be Potter. The kickoff team would be his and Lindell has the field goal unit. I do still want to see Potter kick some field goals in preseason because I would like the Bills to keep just 1 kicker if possible.

Depends on the situation. If its an obvious time to onsides kick and lindell is better you put him in, if its meant to be a surprise leave potter in. The precentage of converting an onside kick is so low anyway it probley doesnt even matter

Actually, it's higher than you think. I remember a few years ago hearing that it was like 1 in 4 or something.

http://www.advancedn...side-kicks.html

26% overall, 20% when expecting it, much more than i thought

From the article: "when teams aren’t expecting it, the success rate averages 60%".

Makes you wonder why we don't see it more often. The one I always wanted to see is when the kicker drills it at the nearest defensive player in the front line. If it hits him then it ricochets back towards the kicking team to recover. If it misses him then it skids into the second or third row and is like a squib kick with minimum loss of field position.

I fear that this part of the game will be completely lost with the new kickoff rules. The only onside kicks will be at the end of the game when you need one to have any chance to win.

Edited by vincec

I got stuck there for a while too. Do you mean kicking off at the 35 instead of the 30? Is that even right???

Yes. The kickoff rule change last year to kickoff from the 35. The touchback rate is so high now that most teams just make you go 80 yards and eliminate the chance of a big return.

Let me admit that I haven't read this thread, but the title, Onside Kick, deserves pause.

Say I'm the kicker. The opposing team, for the most-part, is 10 yrds. away, spead out the 160ft width of the field. There are 10 players, and I see 6-8 ft. daylight between each player. As the kicker, I cannot aim at a group. I have to aim at a 6' tall target, than can move side to side, so the closer to his middle that I can aim, the better. This kick is from 10 yards, and for reference a soccer penalty kick is 12 yards. Basically, I am trying to hit a 5' post. Do I have the nerve?

Let me admit, that I don't have the nerve to do that, just to avoid any needless worry by the Bills organization. I think it would only be possible if the ball were positioned on the tee differently, which would be a tell... but if I had the nerve, I just might try it!

While on the subject of KO's. How bout this?

scenario: A personal foul is called on a td (on the D), the penalty is assessed on the KO (15 yds)...

THEN,

ANOTHER PF penalty is called on the D during/after the point after attempt, tacking another 15 on...

Do they kick from the opponents 35 yd line? Has anyone seen this?

I'd say as said before, unless Potter can show he is on point with his on sides kicks just like he is with the normal kickoffs then I'd see Lindell on obvious situations at the end of games. Potter would only be there if it was a suprise.

On another note, I absolutely lobe Potter and the fact that even fans are very excited about a kicker challenging Lindell. This kid is awesome. He absolutely booms kicks like no ones business. If he can show accuracy on FGs, especially in the swirling winds at The Ralph then we could have one of the best Ks in the league for a long time.

From the article: "when teams aren’t expecting it, the success rate averages 60%".

Makes you wonder why we don't see it more often. The one I always wanted to see is when the kicker drills it at the nearest defensive player in the front line. If it hits him then it ricochets back towards the kicking team to recover. If it misses him then it skids into the second or third row and is like a squib kick with minimum loss of field position.

I fear that this part of the game will be completely lost with the new kickoff rules. The only onside kicks will be at the end of the game when you need one to have any chance to win.

The onside kick and recovery in the Comeback game was a great play...Steve drilled it so well and Pike recovers! And even the Bills offense did not know about it as Reich would describe it later....

While on the subject of KO's. How bout this?

scenario: A personal foul is called on a td (on the D), the penalty is assessed on the KO (15 yds)...

THEN,

ANOTHER PF penalty is called on the D during/after the point after attempt, tacking another 15 on...

Do they kick from the opponents 35 yd line? Has anyone seen this?

Interesting.

It seems like they should apply subsequent fouls to the result of the kickoff. (Ending up with perhaps 3/4 of the way to the goal, if two fouls?)

If always moving the spot of the kick, at some point the kicking team should automatically be considering an onsides kick. If kicking from your 45 trying to get posession at the opponents 45 or beyond, it seems like a very reasonable risk given the possible reward.

With all the touchbacks it doesn't seem like much of a penalty to move the kick closer to midfield as the rules stand today.

Edited by Matt in KC