One thing worth noting from tonight's scrimmage

Simon

There were two entirely different approaches taken by the two teams tonight.

Offensively Minnesota was running a bunch of sprint options, play action, waggles and even a fleaflicker for gawd's sake. Meanwhile the Bills did nothing fancier than a 2ndhalf wildcat look and a couple read options.

Defensively the Vikings were trying to disguise coverages and confuse Fitzpatrick on nearly every play and even threw in some overload blitzes and zonedawgs in the early part of the game while the Bills just played it straight up with an occasional stunt and virtually no attempts at deception.

While I'll continue to maintain that we have issues with our LB corps, trying to make any negative judgements about this team from tonight's game is nothing more than foolish caterwauling.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offensively Minnesota was running a bunch of sprint options, play action, waggles and even a fleaflicker for gawd's sake. Meanwhile the Bills did nothing fancier than a 2ndhalf wildcat look and a couple read options.

Defensively the Vikings were trying to disguise coverages and confuse Fitzpatrick on nearly every play and even threw in some overload blitzes and zonedawgs in the early part of the game while the Bills just played it straight up with an occasional stunt and virtually no attempts at deception.

While I'll continue to maintain that we have issues with our LB corps, trying to make any negative judgements about this team from tonight's game is nothing more than foolish caterwauling.

I love that phrase, "...foolish caterwauling". I'm going to look up the meaning right now..

Aaron Williams may suck

then again, he may not...

but yes, he probably does...

I'm watching the replay right now and there are literally plays where our DL stop pushing and stand straight up. Mario Williams is at about 50% effort. I wouldn't read a whole lot into this.

Of note, did anyone see Fitz audible out of a run play when the Vikings were clearly showing a run blitz? Me neither.

Having said that, trying to make any positive judgments is baseless embellishment.

Defensively this wasn't the Pats, it was Ponder & Co. They were 3-13 last season.

People are going to keep pushing this off into the regular season, but if the first unit cannot show some competency next week in however many plays they log, sorry, they're not going to just pull it from their tailpipe on opening day.

I'm very concerned. So far this offense hasn't even proven that it can play against a first team D. So what if it's "vanilla," these games are a measure of talent v. talent. Both defenses faced were below average last season. Their offenses were about the same.

I simply don't share the optimism that so many are feeling. I see a gain of Mario, a reduction in play at the corner spots, weakness at the LB unit other than for Barnett, a marginal #1 WR and a bunch of 3/4/5 type WRs after him to fill in and start at #2, and a soon to be QB on the outs and contractual albatross. That's not a recipe for improvement and net gain in performance.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I like LBs it's our WRs that have issues.

The pre-season is simply to get guys into game shape and see what kind of talent you have before you make your cuts. Trying to dig deeper than that is just a reason to complain.

Well then, since the offense is basically the same offense that couldn't do much of anything including get out of its own way for most of the season after the first few games, I think we already know what kind of talent we have there and there isn't much reason for it to have changed significantly from last season to this one.

The only positive change on defense, or the only significant change, was Mario, and we know what kind of talent he is. Anderson is fine but hardly an enormous plus-up.

After that, we lost Drayton Florence and replaced him with a rookie. I'm not sure I see that working well this season.

So if all people are looking for is a talent assessment, then we already know what that is. Great DL, one good LB, one good S and then a bunch of players that pose as starters on D.

The worst part about it all, Gailey is still the coach. If you ask me, that's what's going to cause this season to stall.

Instead of breaking the bank for Mario, the organization should have spent some coin on a proven GM and Head Coach.

I like LBs it's our WRs that have issues.

The LBs were terrible tonight on the 1st unit. The DL generated pass pressure, but the back 7 was horrid.

Not that the receivers were good, they stunk too. But hey, look at their pedigrees. This is just one more exercise in applying turd polish. They should have made a move for a WR in Free Agency, not having done so is going to cost us. Nelson's the most proven one there and he's a 3rd type WR, not a starting caliber WR. He's a slot guy too. It's also not like Johnson requires double coverage or anything.

Every year we look and hope that this is the year, but we really know what's going to happen, the same thing. There are way too many positions featuring no talent on this team to make the playoffs. I think we'll see Young (or Thigpen, Smith, or whomever) starting at some point midway through the season.

We've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that Ftizpatrick is in position to take this offense and step it up to even average, much less more than that. This season is going to be an extension of last season, nothing more. We might win another few games over the 1-8 finish, but it won't be many. Gailey obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

No matter how we look at it, the 1st team O still hasn't score a TD against a 1st-team D yet. It's only been five or six drives, but still, they haven't even come close.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Having said that, trying to make any positive judgments is baseless embellishment.

Defensively this wasn't the Pats, it was Ponder & Co. They were 3-13 last season.

People are going to keep pushing this off into the regular season, but if the first unit cannot show some competency next week in however many plays they log, sorry, they're not going to just pull it from their tailpipe on opening day.

I'm very concerned. So far this offense hasn't even proven that it can play against a first team D. So what if it's "vanilla," these games are a measure of talent v. talent. Both defenses faced were below average last season. Their offenses were about the same.

I simply don't share the optimism that so many are feeling. I see a gain of Mario, a reduction in play at the corner spots, weakness at the LB unit other than for Barnett, a marginal #1 WR and a bunch of 3/4/5 type WRs after him to fill in and start at #2, and a soon to be QB on the outs and contractual albatross. That's not a recipe for improvement and net gain in performance.

Let me know what that concern buys you. At this point we've got who we've got. Let's watch them put the whole recipie together, real effort and see what happens. Lets go buf!

Well then, since the offense is basically the same offense that couldn't do much of anything including get out of its own way for most of the season after the first few games, I think we already know what kind of talent we have there and there isn't much reason for it to have changed significantly from last season to this one.

So you're going to ignore the first 7 weeks of the season when we averaged 30 points per game? Lovely.

I also liked how conveniently left out the fact that our starting RB who was having an MVP type season was injured and missed almost half of the season. Or how we lost our starting LT and Center to injury. Or how Fitz was reportedly playing with broken ribs for over half the season.

Isn't it ironic how this team stopped putting up points on offense when it loses its best players to injury?

The only positive change on defense, or the only significant change, was Mario, and we know what kind of talent he is.

Getting a competent defensive coordinator or getting a healthy Kyle Williams back aren't positive changes at all. I agree. :rolleyes:

Anderson is fine but hardly an enormous plus-up.

He had 10 sacks last season and can pressure the QB. How is that not an enormous plus up if he can bring that ability to our defense?

After that, we lost Drayton Florence and replaced him with a rookie. I'm not sure I see that working well this season.

We cut Drayton Florence because of how much he was being paid in relation with his contribution. It's not like Drayton was blanketing receivers last year. He was decent but nothing great. If you can get the same or better production out of your 1st draft pick making a fraction less why not do it? The way Gilmore has played so far, it's safe to assume we won't miss Drayton.

So if all people are looking for is a talent assessment, then we already know what that is. Great DL, one good LB, one good S and then a bunch of players that pose as starters on D.

This is moronic on so many levels. You're just grasping at straws trying to make a point now.

The worst part about it all, Gailey is still the coach. If you ask me, that's what's going to cause this season to stall.

Instead of breaking the bank for Mario, the organization should have spent some coin on a proven GM and Head Coach.

This comment proves without a doubt you have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by Bangarang

I sadly agree with the most of your assessment GHOST, Although I like our secondary and think new kids will do good.

We basically did nothing for the offense. To those who disagree, name the potential probowlers; Fred maybe Spiller and Wood and that's about it.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I sadly agree with the most of your assessment GHOST, Although I like our secondary and think new kids will do good.

We basically did nothing for the offense. To those who disagree, name the potential probowlers; Fred maybe Spiller and Wood and that's about it.

We're doomed. We don't have a pro bowler at every position. Why bother even showing up? Time to focus on next year's draft.

What this nonsense again? The other team was trying to play well and the Bills weren't? The same as last week when the Redskins were blitzing and trying to make plays while the Bills were just going through the motions content to get their butts kicked?

If the starters on a team that lost 8 out their last 9 games and hasn't had a winning season in over 10 years don't think it's important to try hard and show improvement in the time they are on the field then the Bills are in even bigger trouble. I'm fairly certain that the Bills starters were putting in a strong effort. They just got their butts kicked again.

I just wish these preseason efforts were a tad bit more entertaining. I really don't give a flying fart if we win the games or not, as long as we're good to go by week 1 of the regular season...but seriously, can they not give us SOMETHING to enjoy watching a replay of? The VY bomb was a thing of beauty, but I'd really prefer to see our starters making a courtesy play here and there in honor of the fans.

What this nonsense again? The other team was trying to play well and the Bills weren't? The same as last week when the Redskins were blitzing and trying to make plays while the Bills were just going through the motions content to get their butts kicked?

If the starters on a team that lost 8 out their last 9 games and hasn't had a winning season in over 10 years don't think it's important to try hard and show improvement in the time they are on the field then the Bills are in even bigger trouble. I'm fairly certain that the Bills starters were putting in a strong effort. They just got their butts kicked again.

I'm fairly certain that the Bills coaches and players are aware of how little the preseason games mean to the starters. It was abundantly clear that the game against the Redskins was used to work on Fitz and the no huddle, I don't even think that we had a single run play while the starters were in. Same case against the Vikings in regards to working on the running game and short/intermediate passes to a lesser extent. Fitz never audibled out of a run play to avoid a run blitz, something he will absolutely do in the regular season. I know I could care less if we are winning preseason games, I just want to see our starters get a few series of work in and get out without injury, and our backups and rookies get some valuable in game reps. I'm pretty sure the Bills feel the same way I do.