Wow, Vince Young is awful

I haven't caught every snap that VY has taken in pre-season, but the ones I've seen have been have been lackluster at best.

The only positive thing I can say has to do with his scrambling, which he seems to do a lot.

The throws I have seen have either been over-thrown, or near interceptions (throwing into tight coverage or not seeing defender at all).

What happened to the VY of the early Titan years?

I recall he kicked Bills a** in his rookie year ... not only with his scrambling but his laser accurate passes.

I'm concerned if he ends up being our #2, and you should be too.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am more worried about the starters than the backups.

I'm optimistic because the running game is so bad. Spiller is good and Freddie is good and the line is the same as last year, in most of its pieces. That didn't fall apart over the summer, so the reason must be that the intensity for the starting offense is just too low in preseason to yield meaningful results.

Hopefully not wishful thinking, but the panic button is still under glass. I won't look for the hammer until halftime of the Jets game, at least.

Young looked much better tonight (not perfect, he will never be) than last week. I have not been as down on Tyler Thigpen as most here, but he was pretty bad tonight, when it counted most.. that 4th & 5 worm burner he threw to Namman (I think it was NR) gave me bad flashbacks of Losman...and then I started thinking, he is a lot like Losman....can look pretty good at times, and then just awful when you think he getting in a groove...

Anyway, Tasker made, I thought, a good point about Young. His athleticism, and arm strength, give him a better chance of coming off the bench and pulling a game out, if needed, than Thigpen. Young is likely always going to have some maddening tendancies, but as we saw, tonight on the hook-up with Graham, his big play-making ability can keep a team in a game... as Tasker said, as a backup, he wouldn't get as much practice, so being able to rely on his athletic skill (and he has a lot of that) just gives him a big advantage over a guy like Thigpen. Thigpen isn't a bad athlete either, but he doesn't have VY's combo of size and speed. I enjoyed watching Young tonight. It was all downhisll after he went out of the game...kinda wished Chan would have left him in the final 4:30 of the 3rd, just to see if he could put the Bills in the lead.

Young may not put together a lot of long, sustained, efficient, time consuming drives...he is more likely, rather than an efficient 15 play, 80 yard drive, to give you a 5 play 70 yard drive, where 62 of the yards come on one play...and you want to tear your hair out the other 4 plays.

Yea I think he solidified his backup job tonight cant really say he looked awful in any way.

Funny, I agree with you pretty much...but where he looks pretty awful is short passes....he just isn't accurate on short passes...when somebody referred to his "laser like accuracy" earlier in the thread, they were likely thinking of his early days with the Titans, when he threw a fair number of deep, accurate passes to pull out games....I like his long ball....but he still struggles on the short stuff. He just isn't that guy who can fit a short, tight pass into traffic for a drive sustaining completion...but he might be able to scramble, at elite level, and have the same effect.

Being in Austin, I have been watching the guy for all of his college, and quite a bit of his pro-career (he is a god here, they show VY whenever they can...might get more Bills games here if he ever starts). He might not be the most coachable QB ever...and honestly, I think that is where he and Jeff Fisher just clashed...Fisher wanted him to be something he can't be. I think Gailey, maybe as much as anyone in the NFL, can get the best out of him, if it ever comes to that point.

Edited by Buftex