Wow, Vince Young is awful

Trying to put Young in Fitz's shoes in the same system to me says that those trying to do that don't know what they're doing, so naturally it makes people wonder about why Young is even here if it's not to play a lot of Wildcat. And if that's the case, then may heaven help us.

The system in gailey's spread seems to be a lot of 5-10 slants or hanging a TE/receiver out to dry. If Fitz a former backup can hit or miss on that "system" why do you believe VY can't learn the ropes?

Edited by Best Player Available

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that perplexes me is how everyone claims that the preseason games don't mean anything, but then they extrapolate the play of former starting players against 2nd and 3rd team players to mean something positive.

If Young has to come in on any kind of a regular basis, then it won't be good news. He's had chance after chance after chance to prove himself in the NFL and now, on his third team in as many years, he's failed to do that.

I hear ya on him being able to come in, and he may have some limited value there, but if he has to start, it won't be good.

The other thing is that he and Fitz are such different QBs. Trying to put Young in Fitz's shoes in the same system to me says that those trying to do that don't know what they're doing, so naturally it makes people wonder about why Young is even here if it's not to play a lot of Wildcat. And if that's the case, then may heaven help us.

I hear you... and I don't put a ton of stock in pre-season games either. However I do think you can tell some things from them. You say that Young had "chance after chance to prove something", and I am not sure I completly agree with you on than...30-17 as an NFL starter is not too shabby... his problems in Tennessee were with his coach (and we can argue about who was to blame in that instance), who never wanted him on his team, and, in the eyes of many, looked for excuses to unseat him as his starter, as much as he looked for ways to help him succeed. Young has had some maturity problems, no doubt, and he may not be a rocket scientist, but he has enough athletic skills. I think, that somebody could win with him. And I just think, if any coach could do that in the NFL, Chan Gailey is on that list. As for the differnces between Fitz and VY, they are different. I would rather not see it come to choosing VY over Fitz, but, if it did, I think Gailey is versatle enough that he can design a game that caters to Youngs strengths. I mean, if you recall, the Bills won with Jim Kelly and Frank Reich. Reich wasn't the same QB as Kelly...but they managed to figure it out. Its' not like it hasn't been done. IMO, Gailey's dream QB would combine the strenghts of both guys (Fitz' mental edge, w/ Yongs physical gifts)

Edited by Buftex