Will Ron Brooks take McGee's place?

Luxy312

Based on everything I've read and heard from training camp and the first preseason game, Ron Brooks is really shining. It sounds to me like a great problem to have, but I have to wonder if McGee's days are numbered. With Gilmore and Williams clearly the starters, will Brooks make McGee the odd man out? Don't get me wrong as I like McGee. Just interested in what people think.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mcgee gets healthy why would they cut him? Depth good. No depth bad.

Brooks really was impressive in that "game" last week.

I wasn't suggesting cutting him. I was really thinking more along the lines of him seeing far less plays in only Dime and Prevent defensive formations. In Nickel, it would be our two rookies + Williams unless someone gets hurt.

I wasn't suggesting cutting him. I was really thinking more along the lines of him seeing far less plays in only Dime and Prevent defensive formations. In Nickel, it would be our two rookies + Williams unless someone gets hurt.

\

Well I agree then. Throw him in the fire and see if he gets burned. Again, he was very impressive last week.

It's worrisome to me that McKelvin would be our elder statesman at CB. If I'm an OC I'm testing these newbies every chance I get. Our pass rush better be as disruptive as advertised.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

It's worrisome to me that McKelvin would be our elder statesman at CB. If I'm an OC I'm testing these newbies every chance I get. Our pass rush better be as disruptive as advertised.

GO BILLS!!!

I couldn't agree more. CB is the weakness on our defense hands down.

Now this doesn't mean we don't have talent back there, it just means it is super raw and very untested. There's going to be some major growing pains.

Also, I think it's Brooks that takes Williams place by week 5...Williams will be in the nickel or dime.

Edited by stony

Based on everything I've read and heard from training camp and the first preseason game, Ron Brooks is really shining. It sounds to me like a great problem to have, but I have to wonder if McGee's days are numbered. With Gilmore and Williams clearly the starters, will Brooks make McGee the odd man out? Don't get me wrong as I like McGee. Just interested in what people think.

I've always liked McGee, and was said to hear he wasn't recovering well from his latest injury. That being said, McGee may be hard pressed to make this team. In fact I think he is fairly certain to be cut.

Brooks did look great throughout his playing time in that game, and he will certainly press McKelin (currently penciled in at Nickle). Brooks also has the advantage of playing the Nickle spot as his primary position. Also, McKelvin sucks as a CB (just my opinion).

Justin Rogers is also in the mix, and seems pretty likely to make the team as the 5th back. If the Bills keep 6 CB's, then McGee has a chance to stay providing he can get healthy. Other Bills CB's have showed some decent skills so far though as well. Nix also indicated he wanted 4 safeties PLUS Bryan Scott. So the Bills very well could be going into the season with 5 (Gilmore, Williams, Brooks, McKelvin, Rogers)

Im still wondering why florence was let go and not mcgee....

Money, McGee restructured his deal.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Just for the record....Brooks wasnt just shining in that pre season game.......the way I hear it he has been shining through this whole training camp.

Meanwhile......Williams has been spotty......McKelvin has been unspectacular.....Justin Rogers has been injured........

I think there is a REAL possibility that Brooks is starting opposite Gilmore by the end of the season.

T Mcgee ain't goin nowhere.

Seasoned vet coming back from injury. Has teh respect of the organization, doesn't complain or mouth off has been a model Bill, restructured his contract etc etc etc. Only way he goes is PUP. He is an all time great Bill.

T Mcgee ain't goin nowhere.

Seasoned vet coming back from injury. Has teh respect of the organization, doesn't complain or mouth off has been a model Bill, restructured his contract etc etc etc. Only way he goes is PUP. He is an all time great Bill.

You forgot to add...is hurt all the time and never plays a full season.

Also, McGee can't be placed on the PUP list because he's practiced already. That's not an option so if the coaching staff doesn't think he can contribute very, very, soon, there's a good chance he's going to be cut.

Edited by stony

Vanilla D vs. Vanilla O?

Vanilla D vs. Vanilla O?

Covering your man and playing the ball is what it is, regardless of scheme...and Brooks has been very good at both during camp and last Thursday night. The kid was a sleeper pick, and so far he's proving Buddy was right on the money.

Vanilla D vs. Vanilla O?

Pretty simple concept actually. Basically it's a limited playbook to allow players to get used to the schemes and formations. For example, defensively against the Redskins, the Bills didn't run a single blitz. Not one. They didn't call any of the more complex defensive packages that they'll be running in the regular season. The Redskins on offense didn't run any of what will be more complex route packages. No team shows their hand in the preseason of the things they're going to try to do in the regular season. Hopefully that helps elaborate on what I was trying to say before.

Just for the record....Brooks wasnt just shining in that pre season game.......the way I hear it he has been shining through this whole training camp.

Meanwhile......Williams has been spotty......McKelvin has been unspectacular.....Justin Rogers has been injured........

I think there is a REAL possibility that Brooks is starting opposite Gilmore by the end of the season.

what's the history of a team starting 2 rookie CB's in a playoff game?,,, can't be a long list

Pretty simple concept actually. Basically it's a limited playbook to allow players to get used to the schemes and formations. For example, defensively against the Redskins, the Bills didn't run a single blitz. Not one. They didn't call any of the more complex defensive packages that they'll be running in the regular season. The Redskins on offense didn't run any of what will be more complex route packages. No team shows their hand in the preseason of the things they're going to try to do in the regular season. Hopefully that helps elaborate on what I was trying to say before.

Very simple indeed. You used this concept to discount Luck's first preseason showing so I figured you would apply it to Brooks's also. Instead you say his performance was so good to the point he would force McGee out, perhaps.

It's not clear why his performance against a "vanilla offense" would help inspire you to start this thread, therefore.

Edited by Mr. WEO