Lee Evans released

silvermike

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not suggesting the Bills will or even should consider signing him but he is still better then 80% of our receiver depth. After Johnson, Nelson and Graham, we have a bunch of guys that probably wouldn't make most other NFL rosters. By far our weakest position on the team, with QB closely behind. Maybe they plan on focusing on those two positions next off season?

Edited by BuffBill

He quit four or five years ago but time teams came to that realization.

Four years ago - 1,017 yards.

Five years ago - 849 yards.

What a quitter.

Not sure if your throwing me into the trash talkers or not but I happen to agree with you only I don't think he was as good as you may think. Sure I loved him here. Glad he was here. And felt he got the crap end of the stick when it came to coaches and QBs but I still don't think he was ever anything more than a #2 at best. The funny thing, is if he would go over the middle every once in a while and you made Jim a slot WR he would have been verrry good IMO. With that said, we got something for nothing at the time, the evidence is pointing more toward him not being a team player at the end of his stay in Buffalo. The fact is 2 teams, one with horrible talent that should have kept anyone descent on thier team and another with a history of finding talent and at the same time was a GOOD WR away from making a SB run decided to cut him. This all happened in 6 months and not to much after a season long injury and trade from a team that he was a leader on. Some fans might love him and want him back but the league is speaking loud and clear, something is not right with him or he is not really what the fans see.

That's my only real issue.

I didn't have anyone specific in mind, as far as trash talkers. Just a general comment about the verbal/written abuse players take when they leave the Bills under any circumstance.

Not suggesting the Bills will or even should consider signing him but he is still better then 80% of our receiver depth. After Johnson, Nelson and Graham, we have a bunch of guys that probably wouldn't make most other NFL rosters. By far our weakest position on the team, with QB closely behind. Maybe they plan on focusing on those two positions next off season?

So we want to get rid of young players, most of whom, "wouldn't make other NFL rosters," and replace them with an old player who has proven he can't make any other NFL rosters. Hmmm.

I don't think they see the situation that way. Donald Jones was emerging last year before he sprained his ankle and I see that continuing. That gives us 4 WRs that are at least decent, not including Hagan who has some pedigree. granted he's been released several times already but WRs are notoriously slow to develop and he wouldn't be the first late bloomer at that position.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them scoop a young WR they like who gets cut but I don't see them going the veteran route at that position. Given the amount of 4 and 5 WR sets we use I'd like them to keep more than 6 WRs but that's pretty unlikely.

I didn't have anyone specific in mind, as far as trash talkers. Just a general comment about the verbal/written abuse players take when they leave the Bills under any circumstance.

I'm not one to kick people right after they've been cut, and I'd like to set the record straight about my overrated comment - I've been saying Lee Evans and his career 3.2 rec/game was overrated for the past 5 years.

I'm not one to kick people right after they've been cut, and I'd like to set the record straight about my overrated comment - I've been saying Lee Evans and his career 3.2 rec/game was overrated for the past 5 years.

That's a far more credible criticism than others that have been thrown around. And when you put it like that, yes, it does appear that he may have been overrated. I love stats!!!

So this inspired me to check Jerry Rice's numbers. He averaged 5.1 rec/game and he is the greatest of all time. I think we can all agree that Lee Evans will never be part of any serious HOF discussion, so it's not like I'm trying to compare Lee Evans to Jerry Rice. Just want to see what the best looks like. I think 3.2 rec/game is still a respectable number - especially given the talent level of the people who threw the ball to him. That, coupled with the fact that he was durable for most of his career in Buffalo and played practically every game, tells me that he was a very good receiver while in Buffalo. To say he was an elite WR would be a stretch, I agree.

I think the people that make this argument are only thinking of the good times with 2006-ish Lee Evans, and not 2012 Lee Evans. The 2012 Lee Evans has already been cut twice this offseason. And one of those teams was the Jaguars. He's another year older, and another year slower, and another year more expensive as a vet. I, and the Bills, put him right on par with those young guys we currently have. So why bother? No thanks.

I don't think bringing him back is a good idea. He's too old, and all he will do is take up a roster spot that a younger player could use to show his talents.

Right, but he is an ex Bill! We all know anytime an ex Bill is waived/cut there are some people that want them back no matter how bad their skill set has deteriorated. Sigh!

Respectfully disagree. I always liked him but I think he's done.

I think 3.2 rec/game is still a respectable number - especially given the talent level of the people who threw the ball to him.

It's in the ball park of most teams second or third best wr. Maybe near tops for tight ends or running backs?

For ex David Nelson averaged 3.8 last year....

Not trying to diminish lee just saying. I do appreciate he will have to live with resentment of his complementary qb situation for ever. So that stinks. Maybe someone like Philly or pit will look at him as depth for a playoff run...